Thursday, October 27, 2005

Blogger's Mission Statement

Well, here I am sitting at my computer. I've been excited about starting this thing ever since I talked to Katie C. at Homecoming. I was talking about how I really wanted to be able to keep up with everyone there and how fun it was to catch up on people's lives, etc. She told me that I should start a blog. I laughed at her suggestion, partly because I didn't really know exactly what a blog was. I had read the blogs of deep-thinker types and read some great funny blogs, but really didn't think that what I had to say would be something that everyone would want to read on a daily basis. I consider myself to be neither extremely witty nor extremely bright and insightful, so I just laughed at Katie's suggestion. What I didn't know was how many people DO blog and just how many varieties of self-expression there are out there in the blog world. I looked up Katie C.'s blog, and then proceeded to read the blogs of her friends, and their friends, and so on and so on. I felt a little bit invasive of those people's lives, but realized that they wouldn't put their life stories out there if they didn't want people to read them.

I laughed SO hard at Shanta's and Amy B.'s blog and yawned at some others, but just realized that there was a kind of blogging that I was not previously aware of... I did not know that some people just blog to update their families on their lives. If you aren't funny or cute or well known for stimulating people's intellect. I can write simply for the purpose of updating family members on life events.

So.... I guess this first blog is a kindof my blogging mission statement...

MISSION STATEMENT

1. The mission of my blog site is to update family members on life events.

2. This blog is a stress reliever for me and just something that I think will be fun.

3. This blog is kind of like an open diary of my life with some innappropriate parts excluded so that it can be read by young and old alike...

4. The mission of this blog is NOT to make everyone laugh every day. That would go against my #2 statement.

5. This blog will NOT be filled with exciting insight into the inner workings of world events and will DEFINITELY not talk about anything going on in Hollywood. Who really cares (about Hollywood that is)? My family probably doesn't and if they did, would probably subscribe to People or some such junk instead of soliciting my blog for that information.

So that's the deal.....

8 comments:

hollyfouts said...

I found your blog through Leslie Mayo's. I am excited that you are starting one. It's such a fun way to keep up with everyone and record your families memories. We miss you guys. I am glad I will be able to check in on you via your new blog. Hope all is well on the other side of the metroplex!

mcjacobsjournal said...

Yippee!!! I'm so glad the Smith family will be blogging! I, too, avoided blogging for the longest time because I thought it would be just one more thing to add to the day.

But, I have enjoyed it so much! And, my family has LOVED being able to be "a part" of our daily lives, especially those we don't see very often.

We miss you guys so much and I will be excited to hear about your world through your blog. (I even enjoy reading everyone's that I see three times a week...because we still don't have time to tell cute stories about our children or share struggles from our week!)

I'm so glad you're a part!! Take care and give those kids hugs for us.

jenny biz said...

Hey, Amber! I have been blogging too!! It has been way too long since we have talked. I think about you often!! You can visit my blog and catch up on our lives and I will look forward to reading and catching up with you!! Love you!

Kristen OQ said...

I am excited to read this too! Everyone is blogging and I will be happy to hear how things are going for your family.

Bev Ross said...

Hey Amber! I just found you on Jenny's blog! We are on this side of the metroplex too! I heard from Jamie Thomas that you were over here too! Cool! Hope things are great!

Alyssa said...

Hi Amber! I saw you on Chelsea's blog... I am so glad that you are going to join the fun. It will be nice to keep up with your family- Hope you are all doing well!

Melanie said...

Hey Amber! Congrats on the new web venture! I'm still trying to figure out my blog! I hope you put pictures of your growing babies up soon!!

Katie said...

Amber--I'm so excited that you have the blog! I can't wait to keep up with Mary Alice and Major--and you and Josh too! I'm sure to become a faithful reader!!!