Monday, January 16, 2006

Josh and Amber's Day Off

This weekend was fun! Chad and Miranda came down to keep the kids while Josh and I went to Granbury to go to a Bed and Breakfast. We stayed at a place called The American Heritage House. It was a fairly new house, but had been built to resemble an old house. Anyway, we really had no idea of exactly what to expect when we arrived. We were a little nervous at first, worried about who else would be staying in the house. We wondered if breakfast would be a little awkward, etc. We only know of one of our friends who goes to Bed and Breakfasts (Brandon and Shelly George) and just really didn't know what to expect.

So we arrived around 9:30 or so and rang the doorbell. We were greeted by the innkeeper, Ron. He showed us to our room and told us everything that we might need to know. He told us that we had access to a DVD library, free drinks, freshly baked cookies, etc. Then, after asking us if we needed anything else, left us. Our room, though it was the cheapest available was very nice. We had bon bons sitting on our bed and a vase of roses in our room. The whole house was so nice! I crept around after the innkeeper left so that I could check out the premises. Everything was so pretty!

The next morning, breakfast was served at 9:00 sharp. This was the part that we were a little nervous about. We were seated at a formal dining table with two other couples. Ron was our "waiter". We had fresh fruit compote with some fancy sauce on it, followed by a darn good breakfast casserole and some pecan pie muffins. DELISH! We also had some sort of potatoes. Being that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I especially enjoyed this experience. I would always rather have a full breakfast and have a small lunch/dinner than the other way around. Ron's wife did the kitchen work (along with some other staff members) while Ron served us. He was really entertaining and had quite an interesting past to share.

Also seated at our table was a very young, but retired couple from West Palm Beach who was looking for a place to buy a second home. I guess they weren't very familiar with Texas because they suggested Midland as one of the places that they were looking? Hmmm. The man in that couple was very knowledgeable on a vast array of subjects including antique Victrolas and crystal knife rests. I really like being around people that know alot. It makes me feel smarter, I think.

The other couple seated with us was a quiet man (reminded Josh of our friend John Shuttlesworth) and his EXTREMELY talkative wife (did not remind us of John's wife Lindsay). The man was a truck driver and seemed mildly uncomfortable talking about Victrolas and crystal knife rests. The woman was eager to share about her career as a substitute teacher in her son's class. She also shared about the various tattoos and prison experiences of her other son. She was very sweet and made everyone feel comfortable. She was entertaining.

Ron (the innkeeper) was also very interesting. He knew so much about everything. Josh and I could've listened to his stories all day long. We stayed at that table for almost two hours. Josh and I contributed to the conversation, of course, but didn't seem to compete much with those other interesting folks.

We really loved our stay at that Bed and Breakfast and would HIGHLY recommend it to other people as a place for a getaway, church retreat or family reunion. It was awesome! After we left, Josh and I walked around downtown Granbury. There are a bunch of antique shops, live theatre-type places, and various stores. We didn't buy anything, just walked around and enjoyed each other's company. Granbury is a great little town to go for a fun weekend. They even have a lake for watersports. We had a great time!

Chad and Miranda may put off having kids of their own for a long long time after keeping ours. Mary Alice seems to have sleep issues whenever she is around family members. I don't know if she gets excited or what? But her poor caretakers always end up exhausted because she wakes up so many times in the middle of the night. Does anyone else's kids do this or is it just mine?

Yesterday, we went to a church "extended family group". We are having the hardest time deciding on a church. We have one church that we really like, but is far from our house (like 20 minutes). We really liked the people at that church, but the drive just seemed so long. We are trying to think about the future (youth group activites, baby showers in Timbuktoo, etc.) The other church we've been visiting isn't as likeable or friendly, but it is nearby. I find myself being too critical sometimes, I know. I just feel like I have too many standards for too many things. If only I was as hard on myself as I was on everyone else, I know I would have far fewer faults. Josh and I are really really anxious to find a church home and really wish that God would just beat us on the head and say, "Hello! You are supposed to serve at this place. Go here!" I am so tired of being a visitor, but yet don't want to make the mistake of identifying with a church that we don't feel is headed in the right direction. We don't want to be church hoppers.

Well, that was our weekend. Today I took the kids to the park and to McDonald's. It's been a great day!

5 comments:

Erica said...

We too love Granbury! Cary took me there for our anniversary one year and we stayed at a cute little place too. We even went to see a musical, went on a carriage ride to dinner at this delicious place, ( I cannot recall the name just that the restaurant was upstairs.)and enjoyed all the cute shops. It is a great place to get away to that is not too far from home. So glad you had a great time!
I too am ready to find a church home because I just do not feel complete or settled without it. I will keep your family in our prayers as you continue to look for the place God wishes you to be.

jenny biz said...

Glad you guys had fun! I totally understand about the church search thing. It is so hard not to have a church family and the stability for your kids! But it will come and you and Josh will know with 100% confidence where God is leading you to best serve him. I am also learning that what you think that church might "look like", may not be the church where God puts you:)

hollyfouts said...

I'm glad you guys had a fun weekend away. We are about to start the search for a new church too. I am not too excited about that....especially since Miller is still in the nursery and doesn't like new situations. It may take us all a little while to find somewhere we feel comfortable.

Melanie said...

Well, since we moved here in May, we decided that we would take our time and see where we should be. We were really hesitant to go to where my family is. We didn't want to be identified as "the daughter" and not ourselves. So on our first Sunday here, one of the elders got up to make announcments, announced we'd just moved and were placing our membership that day! We were obviously surprised, but it was definitely part of God's plan. We LOVE this family!! (And I love Victrolas!)

Alyssa said...

Granbury is one place that Clint and I want to visit sometime. I am so glad that you had a fun time together. Finding a church is so hard. You are smart to think about not just your life now- but what your life would be like in the future as a member of the church family. Good luck making such an important decision!