Friday, May 04, 2007

Little House Feast



So today we had a little feast... A Little House on the Prairie feast...

We are just finishing up the last book in the Little House series, and checked out a book called The Little House Cookbook from the library. Naturally, we had to try a few of the recipes. So today we had a little feast. Mary Alice ("Laura") wore my prairie dress from when I was a little girl and a bonnet that my mom had in her costume closet. Major ("Almanzo") wore a snake t-shirt (picked out by Mary Alice) and some overalls. Mary Alice said that because Almanzo was a farmer, he would probably wear a t-shirt with a snake on it. Major also wore a bucket hat and flip flops. :)









I was waiting on a package to be delivered and had planned to be at home all day. We spent the morning in the kitchen, getting ready for our little feast. Josh had to work through lunch, so the kids and I packed a mini-feast for him and took it up to his office. The kids were excited to show off their costumes to their Daddy. Josh was excited to see them. I wonder if he will be as excited to eat those mashed turnips we packed in his lunch? We'll wait and see.

Our menu consisted of items from the cookbook that were hand picked by the girl. We had mashed turnips (actually pretty good!), bean soup, cornbread with homemade butter, salt pork (ham), blueberry pudding, heart shaped cakes, and apple pie. The feast was full of fun and carbohydrates. We had a great time!





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! That looks like a lot of fun!!

Unknown said...

That is so fun! You are always making such fun memories for your kiddos! I will have to remember that there is a Little House on the Prairie cookbook should I ever need one; however, I will probably forego the mashed turnips. : )

Also, I am glad your trip was fun! About your list, the spit thing makes me laugh. I don't mind a little spit, myself. Does baby drool qualify as spit?

Kim said...

Amber,
How fun! What a sweet mommy to do that!!! Very special! Our Abigail has a Laura dress,too! She used to wear it and run through our forest of pine trees out back with a silver pail and a leather belt that tied up her schoolbooks! And of course with her bonnet tied on and hanging down her back! She would play for hours... making up stories and adventures on the prairie. We ordered her dress from this wonderful place online and it was her Christmas present one year.

We loved to see her out there playing! She has since out grown it...but we will always remember that as a major part of her childhood!

We plan on getting Evie one,too!

Childhood should be about such things!

It looks like you all had a lot of fun!!!

Kim

Phillips Family said...

You are such a fun mom!

Candice said...

Amber, you inspired me to start reading Little House to AK and we are now on the second book. She loves it and asks throughout the day to read more. It's fun to know there is a cookbook out there.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Steph said...

What a fun idea! You are such a creative mom. I'm looking forward to doing things like that with Lincoln one of these days. I'm not sure if he will appreciate the Little House books. I'm thinking we may be more along the lines of How to Eat Fried Worms. Yikes!!

Amy said...

Can I be your daughter?

I was obsessed with Melissa Gilbert while growing up.

Amy L. Jackson said...

Amber! I had to comment on the Little House Feast...what a cute idea! Major & Mary Alice look adorable.