Saturday, June 22, 2013




To my littlest man Jack on your first birthday-

What a special gift you are to your dad and me! This year with you has flown by so quickly! It is hard to believe that our little man is already turning one!

A few things about you at one year old... You are sweet and cuddly, but VERY active. You want to explore everything! You get into everything- drawers, cabinet doors, your sisters’ play kitchen.  You delight in making big messes and lots of noise! I love it! Most of what you do you do with gusto, followed by a big smile that says, “Look at me! Aren’t I funny?” Of course, everything you do is followed with squeals of laughter from your siblings or maybe sometimes a playful scolding and a “No, sir!” if you did something you weren’t supposed to do.

You are a little man of few words. What you do say, you communicate with your big blue eyes and your chubby little fingers. You point at EVERYTHING. I can tell that you are trying so hard to say something. It’s like the words are stuck in the back of your throat and won’t come out. I know you are listening, though. I know what you mean, even though you haven’t found your words yet.  Right now, you can clearly say Mama, Dada, Bye bye, buh buh, and uh oh. Uh oh is something you say often. :)

You have been toddling around for about a month now and are getting better at walking every day.  On occasion you still do this funny little one legged crawl. You crawl normally on the carpet, but when you get on a hard floor surface, you change to this scooting crawl where you drag one leg behind you. So cute! You are quite a climber. You can make it up the stairs in only a few seconds. We cannot take our eyes off of you for even a moment!

You love to play with balls. You have a rough boy throw, which I like. You love wheels.  I know I can keep you occupied for at least half an hour if I turn the wagon or one of the kids’ bicycles upside down. You will stare at and spin those wheels for a long time. You love to carry around Major’s baseball bat. You love to push around the girls’ shopping cart and strollers. One of your favorite toys right now is my broom. It is so weird. If I leave the laundry room door open, you will quickly make your way back there, pull the broom down off of the wall and hold onto it for a LONG time. It is really strange.  You are my first kid who has been obsessed with getting in the toilet. I never knew what those toilet safety locks were for until you came along. You crazy guy! If someone leaves the bathroom door open, you are known to make a b-line in there and start splashing away. Gross. The kids and I try to keep the door closed until you can learn how to behave better. :)

Your dad says that I spoil you. I try so hard not to, but just can’t get enough of you. It doesn’t seem to bother me that much that you still get up at least once in the middle of the night. I want to cuddle you longer and hold you more. Maybe it is because I know how quickly babies turn into big kids. Maybe it is because you are my last baby. Maybe it is because you are just too cute and special and I can see changes in you every day. Whatever the reason, I sure have been enjoying the time that you are my baby.  I am determined not to follow the pattern that people sometimes get into of treating their youngest children like babies for too long, unintentionally shaping them into self centered and irresponsible people. However, I do not think that extra love and snuggles given to a one year old can be doing too much damage.  
You love your siblings...except when you don’t. You have been known to pull hair and pinch when they are in your face. Rascal. You especially love Mary Alice. She is a second mother to you. She loves you so much! Major helps out too. You think he’s pretty neat.  Milla’s antics always make you laugh. That girl loves to put on a show for you. You reward her efforts with a huge grin and laughter. You don’t feel the love for Mabel  just yet. Maybe one day.

You love to eat almost everything! You have gulped down almost anything we have ever given you to eat and asked for more. Some of your favorites right now are peaches, broccoli, green beans, strawberries, raspberries, oranges, french fries :/, and birthday cake with ice cream. :) 

People are constantly remarking on what a handsome and happy baby you are. They are right. Aside from the getting up in the middle of the night to nurse and the getting into everything, you are such a sweet and easy guy. I am so blessed to be your mama.  I am so proud of my Jack boy. We are so glad that God gave you to our family. I look forward to watching you grow up. I wonder what kind of a man you will become. It is my daily prayer that you will grow up to love the Lord with all that you have and that you will teach others about Him and His ways. Your dad and I pray constantly for the man you’ll be, for the friends you’ll have, and for the type of wife you will choose, should you choose to marry.   We pray for wisdom in raising you and pray for God to grab your heart. We love you so much and thank God for the blessing of you.  Happy first birthday, buddy.



No comments: