Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Dumb Diarrhea Diet

The kids have been rather restless lately. We have been overcome here by some sort of a weird illness that resembles dysentery. Well, mainly Mary Alice. Seriously! The girl has had diarrhea for a month! After the first two weeks of on and off diarrhea, I called the doctor, VERY concerned. I had already had the girl practically fasting for a week or so, with little results. The doctor's office calmly told me to put her on a diet, with bread, water, no fruits except bananas, and plain, ungreasy meat. They said to keep her on the diet until she was "regular" then to keep her on the diet for three days after she was "regular". THIS DIET IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! I kept her on the diet for two more weeks. It helped significantly, but she has yet to be back to normal. Today marks the three day point of her being semi-regular. Like an idiot, I gave her one SMALL piece of cheese with her plain bread and lunchmeat sandwich. Of course, the ria returned!!!

I called the doctor AGAIN, explaining that Mary Alice has now had diarrhea for a month, that her abdomen looks like she's nine months pregnant, that she has gas, that she complains about her stomach hurting on occasion. "Does she have fever?" they asked. No. "Is she lethargic?" No. "Is she acting normal?" Yes (with the exception of the occasional complaining about her tummy hurting or her bottom hurting). "Everything should be fine. There is no need to be concerned."

WHAT?? I fear that my daughter has a parasite. I have done MUCHO research on such conditions as celiac disease, inflammatory bowel syndrome, appendicitis, giardia, and other such horrible infirmities. I really really really am tired of being given the runaround. I am wondering how long it is going to take for these people to DO SOMETHING. I realize that I'm not a doctor (despite the fact that every time I've gone to one I've already determined the problem via my savvy use of the internet), isn't diarrhea for a month a bit of a red flag??? Not to mention the retarded diet that Mary Alice is on... In fact, now that I think about it, maybe her nine month pregnant tummy is due to the fact that she is MALNOURISHED!! She told me yesterday that she was very "sick of this diet". Don't blame her. I am not exactly sure what I am going to do to get the doc's attention, yet. Any ideas?

5 comments:

leslie said...

Maybe call another doctor? I'm so sorry ya'll are having to go through this! I hope someone finds a solution soon!

Phillips Family said...

Get a second opinion. Do you know someone at church that uses another doctor they really like? Diarrhea can be pretty serious. Besides, you will feel much better if someone else confirms the fact there is nothing to worry about!

hollyfouts said...

Poor Mary Alice. I would get another opinion. Always follow a mother's instincts. I hope she gets better soon and gets off of that yucky diet!

I used to think that parents were so wierd and disgusting for talking about things like diarrhea. Funny how it now it seems like a totally normal topic of conversation (and blogging) for me:)

Erica said...

I would definitely get a second opinion. You are the one who knows her best and you know this is not a normal thing for her. You should at least have a doctor who is interested enough to want to look at her and make sure nothing else is wrong. Poor Mary Alice:(

Erica said...

I would definitely get a second opinion. You are the one who knows her best and you know this is not a normal thing for her. You should at least have a doctor who is interested enough to want to look at her and make sure nothing else is wrong. Poor Mary Alice:(