Thursday, March 02, 2006

If I Could Put Time (and Jeannie) In a Bottle

At BSF last week, the speaker said something that really interested me. She always says thought provoking things, but I felt like this time her statement really applied to me and what I've been dealing with. She began by talking about how we have more time on our hands than practically any civilization ever. She said that even 100 years ago, the majority of people worked from dawn till dusk. She quoted some notable person who posed the questions: "If you are a man, do you spend more time shaving than on your soul?" and "If you are a woman, do you spend more time putting on your makeup each day than on your soul?" She went on to talk about prioritizing our time and how we should choose the things of God first before our daily to do list. She stated that we should "try a little negligence" in our earthly duties and put God first. She said that the key to a godly life is godly prioritization.

For me, who already feels negligent enough of my roles as a helper to my husband and keeper at home, this really challenged me. I don't always feel a desire to be in God's Word. I do, however, feel the desire to watch television. I don't always spend time in prayer. I do, however, like my "personal time" on the computer or on the phone with a friend. This just really made me think about how I prioritize my time. Am I wasting my life on entertainment (some of which teaches the opposite of what is taught in Scripture)? Do I work harder at my relationships with friends than on my relationship with God? Just some things I have been thinking about lately. The answer, sadly, for me is yes. I am sorry to say that lately, my makeup application process has taken more time than I have spent reading the Bible.

Another thing to think about: I recently met a wonderful woman by the name of Jeannie. She attends BSF with me. From some of the things she has said, I've gathered that she attends a church that is what you might call "holy roller" or "charasmatic". I have learned so much from this woman in the way that she deals with people. She tells it like it is. She isn't afraid to confront sin. Just recently, I was talking to her about a certain situation in my life that was causing me great anxiety. Very lovingly, she said to me "Don't you know girl, you shouldn't worry about anything. Worry is a sin!"

She's kindof funny, that Jeannie. Picture a fifty something Avon saleswoman (lots and lots of makeup) who talks like a character from Steel Magnolias. (Dolly Parton combined with the new Christian played by Darryl Hannah) She always says things like, "Girl, don't you know God is good!" and "I'm tellin' ya, girl!" and "Hey sister, how's your walk?" also "Preach it, sister!" SERIOUSLY, she says this. At first she made me uncomfortable. When I first met her, I didn't really think I wanted to get to know her any further. Now, what I see is a slightly eccentric, but definitely on fire for the Lord woman who "preaches it" through her walk and, more than that... her TALK. She is so joyful! It is very contagious.

Another thing she did that really stood out to me was this: She was visiting with some of her friends at the beauty shop. These women were her friends and were contemplating going to see the movie Brokeback Mountain. When asked if she was going to see it Jeannie firmly replied, "No, girl! I'm not going to see that movie. The Bible says that homosexuality is an abomination to the Lord and a sin! I won't be going to see that! No way!" When Jeannie told this story, I was dumbfounded. If someone had asked me, I might've replied with something like, "No thanks." or "I don't think I want to support that." Not Jeannie! She comes right out with what the Bible says about things. Not "I think" but "God says" It has just made an impression on me lately that I need to be more bold and that I need to think about what God says about the things that I am doing with my time and where I am allowing my mind to dwell. I know this, I think that there will be plenty of "Jeannies" in Heaven one day, because she focuses on what pleases her Father. A joy like Jeannie's attracts people to her, because they know whose she is and they get no mixed messages about what she stands for.

Not wanting to be preachy, just wanted to share some things that I found applicable to my own life right now. I haven't been the best at prioritizing. How are you spending your time?

5 comments:

jenny biz said...

I am horrible!!!!!!!! This has been a conviction of mine lately too but I haven't acted on God's call to my obedience which means I have quite frankly been very disobedient. I too fill up my time and thought energy on so much wasteful junk. Thanks for the thought and I think God used your thought to once again remind me of this part of my life that really needs to change! Love you!!

Unknown said...

I think this post is a great reminder to me that I need to focus more of my time and attention on God. When things get busy, it seems like the most important things always get pushed to the back. I won't miss my favorite TV shows, but I will sacrifice time reading my Bible? That is crazy! I know that I often think "if I have time" I will read my Bible or spend time journaling, but really, I should be saying "if I have time" I will watch TV or check my e-mail, etc. Thanks for the reminder!

hollyfouts said...

I totally agree that we have time for what we MAKE time for. We have way more free time than ever before. And we spend way more time on entertainment and just being selfish than any people before us. Even the "work" that we do is made so much easier by modern conveniences. Can you imagine using cloth diapers, washing your clothes by hand, hanging them to dry, gathering food (instead of just popping open a can), cooking 3 meals a day, washing all of the dishes by hand, etc. I am so guilty of saying that I don't have time for God, Bibble, prayer, etc. Thanks for the reminder to make time for God, to desire to spend time every day worshiping and being thankful for my blessings. Maybe I'd better get off of the internet!

hollyfouts said...

I guess it really has been too long since I picked up my Bibble....I can't even remember how to spell it. I really do know how to spell the B-i-b-l-e.

Amy C said...

I really enjoyed your post. We should have such a hunger for the Lord. I read your post because you left a message on Jenni biz post. I figure anyone who is a friend of Jenni has got to have an inspiring word and look what I found. I even found an aspiring rapper! Ha Ha. . .