Thursday, April 10, 2008

Let's Go Fly A Kite

The Maje got a shark kite for his birthday. There was a mild wind today, so Josh took the kids out to a nearby park to attempt to fly it.





The kids watching Josh assemble the kite. Almost ready to fly!







First attempt

Second attempt (and third and fourth and fifth)





Finally! The kite takes flight!








The kids really enjoyed flying their shark kite, once it was windy enough for it to actually stay in the air for a few minutes. The nosedives that the shark kite kept taking were extremely funny to the kids. We got to hear them laugh again and again.



Here are a few recent pictures of our girl. A few weeks ago we made a few trips out of state. Something in the air really irritated Mary Alice. Her eyes swelled up while we were there. Her eyes stayed swollen for two weeks, so I finally took her to the doctor. She looked (and felt) absolutely miserable. Another thing that happened at the exact same time is that her mouth broke out in ulcers. She had about five of them in her mouth at once! She was in pretty bad shape. Anyway.... The doctor suggested that we give her Children's Zyrtec for her swollen eyes. We gave her the Zyrtec and guess what happened??? Her eye swelling went down but she broke out in hives! I have never heard of such a thing! An allergy to allergy medicine? Maybe it was just a coincidence. Whatever the case, she certainly is severely allergic to something. I wish we knew what it was so that we could avoid ever getting near it again. Now that we have her face back to normal, I am ready for her skin to clear up. She is itchy all over. Much of her extremeties are covered with hives. Her lips bubbled up a couple of days ago because of allergies. Her poor little mouth (and tongue) have been full of ulcers for three weeks. She just hasn't been herself. Has anyone else ever had this happen? She's never had an allergic reaction before. I certainly didn't see this coming.


Here she is right after I took her to the doctor. Doesn't she look miserable?


Here is her little arm, covered with hives. They actually don't look too bad here. They seem a little redder to me than this picture indicates.

5 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I love to fly a kite! great fun

I was a lot like Mary Alice growing up, my mom gave me dimeatapp to help with the allergies. I broke out when I would take Benedryl! crazy, I know.

I feel for that girl, I know how miserable she is!

Chad said...

That kite is awesome... I admit that I was a little dissappointed we didn't get to fly it last weekend!

Miranda said...

I'm sad to say that Mary Alice has taken after her aunt a bit. In the last few years I've experienced hives after a few medications as well. And, I used to have ulcers in my mouth quite often as a young girl. Good news here...I no longer get them! There's hope!

Melanie said...

Poor thing! Mouth sores are awful! I hope she's feeling better!

Kim said...

We flew kites today! Loved it!

Yes, I had hives really severe reaction to something...this is why I had to have the terrible steroid shots! Never again...do not let your sweet girl have that...use topical stuff, anything but steroids! I still do not know what caused my hives, but I had taken Claritin a few days(about 3) before having the hives break out...I have often wondered if that was the culprit!

I am so sorry for her...hope she is all better now!