Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Case of the Stinky Bath Towels


I need some help solving a problem....and QUICK!

I have been dealing with this annoying problem for a little over a month now and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it!

The problem: a stinky mildewy smell on many of the towels in our house (This was probably caused by ONE time of leaving a load of towels in the washer for the greater part of a day...or maybe two days :) Josh will insist that I've been forgetful with our towels on more than one occasion, but I assure you....I have NOT!

Steps I have taken to fix the problem:

1) A thorough washing and rewashing of each and every towel in our household (in hot water), followed by a very thorough drying

2) Soaking them in vinegar, then washing them twice, then drying them at a high heat setting

3) Cleaning out our washer with bleach- (Our washer has a washer cleaning cycle.) I just thought, in case the washer was contributing in any way to the problem, I would nip it in the bud.)

4) I washed the towels, layed them out in the hot sun to dry, then rewashed them, and dried them at the dryer's hottest setting.

5) I bought special new Bounce Lemon Verbena dryer sheets, to help disguise any remaining mildew fumes. I now have towels that smell mildewy, mixed with a hint of Lemon Verbena.

Josh's solution is to trash the towels and buy new ones. I want to solve the problem and get my towels back to their original sweet smelling selves. I feel like I've tried every possible thing that I can think of, with minimal success.

Can anyone solve the mystery of the stinky towels? Can anyone help me with my problem or will the Smith family have to go on wrapping themselves in stinkiness each and every day? I am at my whites end! I'm about ready to throw in the towel!

Please help!

Anyone?


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes have the same problem. I wash the towels with a Little bit of bleach. I put it in the water--a couple of tablespoons--then add the towls. That way it won't discolor the towels. Clears it up until the next time I forget.

Jennifer said...

I'm agreeing with Josh. Buy new ones if you can. Not sure why everything you tried didn't work. I'm sure your super-sensitive preggo nose isn't helping! I am feeling the same way!

Unknown said...

That is crazy that nothing you have done has worked! I have a book that I can't find called "Talking Dirty Laundry with the Queen of Clean." She usually has some good suggestions. Next time you are at a bookstore or the library, you might check out what she has to say. In the meantime, I will look and see if I can find my copy. Otherwise, I would also throw the towels away and buy new ones. I have found decent towels for cheap at Tuesday Morning before. Good luck!

Chad said...

Try this...
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Mildew-Smell-from-Towels

And if none of those work, maybe this...
http://www.smellytowel.com/

It's no pancake puffer, but hey- who knows??!!

Miranda said...

I'd be buying new towels...but I admire your determination!

Amber Smith said...

Chad-
Believe it or not, I actually already contacted smellytowel.com a little over a week ago to ask them if their product was safe to use in a High Efficiency washer. I should have included that on the steps that I have already undertaken to remedy the problem.

I am afraid to put any weird products into our brand new washing machine. Unlike the pancake puffer, using that product could have serious consequences.

Candice said...

Wow, can't believe the smell won't go away...and what an awful smell it is (especially with a pregnant sniffer)! Have you tried baking soda? May just be time for new towels.

Nicole said...

Girl, you've already taken 5 more steps than I would have. BUY NEW TOWELS! While you're buying your new towels, be sure to look for the micro cotton towels that they sell everywhere (Macy's, BB&B). They are so soft and luxurious and wonderful. I got 4 of them last year for Christmas and promptly threw out all of my other towels. You will not regret it.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a front loader? I do & I know its the washer.(we have the top of the line kenmore elite) I think these washers dont clean like they say they do. I have the same problem with towels & work out clothes. I clean mine in the bath tub then transfer them to the washer. YES I know CRAZY! I want a $300 old type of washer.:) I am looking forward to selling the house so the washer & dryer can stay. I have contacted sears on this problem. Still working on my problem. My neighbor has the same issues. Its the washer! Doesnt clean.

Joni said...

I'm sorry that you have smelly towels! How frustrating! I would throw them away as well, and buy new ones.

Ok because I am so in love with the onesies you got Grant:) I am wanting to order some more, but I can't remember the website. If you remember will you please let me know?? Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Amber,
I just caught up on your blog. Reading it made my day. I laughed so much at the silly things Mary Alice and Major are doing. Promise that you'll keep it updated on their silliness! It will help me through hard school times. :)

MereMoore said...

It is because you are pregnant! THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! I am not kidding-I did EVERYTHING and literally it didn't go away. Now that my nose isn't SOOOO sensitive I don't notice it - but that could be that I am not at home either??? I am just glad I am not crazy b/c I was literally about to go buy new towels too - but you know - I thought I would save money and go into the hospital for 3 months :) heehee!!

Kimberly said...

Have you tried baking soda with the wash? I've used it on occasion and it seems to help. Good luck!

Twin Cities janitorial said...

If you have done everything you could and is ambivalent to use other products on your washer, then I think it is best for you to buy new towels. Well, it may cost you some amount but I would rather spend than wrap my family with chemically treated towels; just to be sure. You could also see this experience as a caution to be more careful next time.

cleaning companies Phoenix said...

This is really a stinky situation. May I know what you did? In this case, I would have bought new towels than to wrap my family with stinky or chemically treated towels. Please share with us what you did. Thank you for posting.