Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our Anniversary Weekend

I was having trouble sleeping and, since I usually have trouble staying awake, I thought it might be the perfect time to blog about our weekend.

Josh and I had a wonderful tenth anniversary weekend. We went to Dallas and spent some time together while Chad and Miranda took care of our kids. Thanks to Chad and Miranda for the great anniversary gift! We would love to return the favor in the future.

I thought I would tell you ten things that I am thankful for about Josh.(one for each year that we've been married) :)

1) He is kind to me and understanding of my many weaknesses. He doesn't put lots of pressure on me to do better or be better, even when I put that pressure on myself. (Example: My never ending battle for a clean house! I feel like I try SO hard, but can never seem to get everything done!) Josh is kind to me and focuses on my successes instead of my failures. Likewise, he praises and encourages me for those successes.

2)Josh is a strong leader and shows his leadership in our home. It would be so easy for me to take charge if I weren't married to someone who was so strong. I am thankful that God paired me up with someone who is masculine enough to take on the biblical role of a husband, yet humble enough to be a servant to both me and the kids.

3) I read a book once that described three different types of men: "Mr. Command Man", "Mr. Visionary", and "Mr. Steady". Josh could definitely be described as a "Mr. Steady". I am so thankful that God blessed me with this type of man.

4) Josh sees the importance of teaching our children about God. I am extremely blessed to have a man who teaches our children about God. I am forever thankful to those who passed on their Biblical knowledge to my husband and also to those who showed him what it means to live the life of a Christian. Josh makes it a priority to read the Bible daily with our children. He is truly knowledgeable (much more so than I) and is good at engaging our children in conversations about God. Just last night, he was reading to them from 1 Samuel. I smiled to myself while listening to the kids give their thoughtful (but funny) answers to his questions. The chapter was the one about how Saul disobeys God and how God delights in obedience more than sacrifice. Josh made his questions age appropriate and really communicated the point of the story to the kids. Josh always makes this special time a priority. I am so thankful!

5) Josh is a great listener. I LOVE to talk (sometimes too much)! I love this about him.

6) When I first met Josh (way back during our freshman year in college), one of the things that stood out most was his maturity. Josh definitely liked to laugh and have a good time. He just knew when it was time to be serious about things. I remember, during our freshman year in college, we were in a service oriented group at ACU. We had this day where it was our job to paint people's houses, mow their lawns, and do other sprucing up type services. I remember looking around at all of the lame-o college guys who were goofing off and patting each other on the back for their comedic acts when they should have been working! Then... there was Josh...the college guy who was actually working. He and his friend, Kevin, were the only two who understood that we had actually come to serve, not to tell jokes all day and sit around. The two of them mowed lawns and painted all day until the required jobs were done. I saw that as a sign of maturity and leadership and was immediately impressed. I still see that maturity in many different ways.

7) Josh is a servant and a good friend. Any time that anyone needs something fixed, something moved, something done at church, etc. they call Josh and he is available. He doesn't shirk work and helping others, but is always there where needed. He is dependable.

8) He smells good and he isn't gross. (I know this might seems silly to some, but to the girl with the most ultra sensitive nose possible, this quality is a lifesaver!) Josh doesn't have stinky feet or yucky smelliness that some guys have. He is very clean and neat and non-stinky. Of course he gets sweaty and a little bit smelly when he plays sports or mows the lawn, but always makes a bee line for the shower when he gets home. Also, I have known many women to complain of their husbands' rude and disgusting habits around the house. I am proud to announce that Josh doesn't have these nasty habits. THANK YOU!!! I am very thankful for a husband who is so conscious of cleanliness and helps keeps both himself and the air around him smelling well. I already struggle with nausea and vomiting right now. I can't imagine what it would be like if Josh added to the problem. :)

9) I love to be with him. Josh and I are best friends. We had so much fun just being together this weekend. He is fun for me to be around. I hope that God blesses us with many more years together.

10) Josh is confident in who he is and what he believes. He doesn't follow the crowd or seek out attention for himself. It always cracks me up when I tell him about something ridiculous that someone did or about some crazy stunt. He just shakes his head and says, "Now that's just stupid..." Yet, at the same time, Josh isn't a judgemental person and feels strongly about not talking about people in a negative way. Usually the "stupid" comments are reserved for someone who did something crazy, like ate 100 chocolate pies to get everyone's attention or dyed their hair magenta to be cool. I am so glad that Josh is so grounded, that he isn't "stupid" or a blabbering fool. He is a person I that I can respect.

So, there you have it, the first ten things that came to mind when I thought of ways that I am blessed to be married to Josh. Even as a young girl, I used to pray that God would bless me with a Christian husband. He gave me more than I imagined and much more than I deserve. Thank you God for Josh!

On another note...We officially have an author in the family!!! (Check out the two handsome cuties on the cover of this book!!!)




While we were in Dallas this weekend, we attended a book revealing party for Josh's dad. Kent (a.k.a. "Grumpy") Smith invited over friends and family who supported him during the writing of his book, Everyday Christianity. Josh's dad is an extremely gifted speaker and wrote the book based on a series of sermons that he gave a few years ago. I was very impressed with Grumpy's honesty and openness throughout the book. He doesn't hold anything back, but tells it like it is. Grumpy speaks from his heart with the voice of an "ordinary man". He has a style comparable to Willard Tate (for all of you ACU alums). I think Grumpy does an excellent job of communicating what he believes in a way that reaches the heart.

We had the opportunity to hear him speak on Sunday morning at his home congregation. After the sermon, Josh and I, along with Chad and Miranda, sat out in the foyer with boxes of some of the first copies of Grumpy's book. Several of the people who bought the book commented on how touched they were by Josh's dad's sermons and how excited they were to hear more of Grumpy's stories with a message.

I loved reading his book, Everyday Christianity, but really enjoy hearing Grumpy speak. If you are ever in need of a fabulous speaker for a men's retreat, prayer breakfast, or any other such occasion, I would wholeheartedly recommend Josh's dad. His stories are both engaging and heartfelt. God has truly given this man a talent for communicating His truths using everyday experiences. Here is a link to his website. www.grumpysmith.com. The book will be in stores October 7th, but can be bought online right now. We are looking forward to seeing just what God has in store for Grumpy. So exciting!

11 comments:

Melanie said...

What a wonderful tribute to Josh! I'm sure his is even longer for you! The book sounds wonderful, and the cover is adorable!

Miranda said...

We had such a great time with the kids this weekend! We will keep them anytime. We also loved getting to spend some time with you and Josh!

Holly said...

Happy 10th anniversary! What a blessing...I enjoyed reading your blog and catching up with you all. :) Congratulations on your little one! Tell mary alice happy birthday on Friday. :)

Barefeet Photography said...

I love the new blog!! So cute :)

Alisha Stewart said...

You guys are sweet. Love the new blog. I've been looking for papers for mine cause a friend is overhaulin my blog so I checked out the site where you got yours. Very cute stuff I must say!
Are you guys going to be able to come down the last weekend of the month for Jonah's b-day?

Phillips Family said...

The new blog design is greatness!

How fun to have an author in your family!

Miranda said...

I love the new blog! We'll be on the lookout for the package today. :-)

Alyson said...

Love the new blog. It looks awesome!

Chad said...

The new blog design looks great... you're fancy! I can't wait for my special package from Mary Alito... I love those 2 monkeys of yours!

Unknown said...

First of all, super cute updo to your blog. Secondly, I love the comments about your hubby...I read #8 to Luke, just for inspiration...Great idea though, I now have a good idea for a post. It's so good to focus on all the wonderful things are hubbies are, instead of having a complaining attitude, right? God has definitely blessed us with amazing husbands!

Kim said...

Happy Anniversary! Your words about Josh were very sweet and I am sure they encouraged him greatly! It is such a blessing to have husbands who are living to be examples of servanthood and godliness. You are blessed!

That books looks really neat!