Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Weird Kids

A few quotes and such...

I don't take time to write down the funny things the kids say as often as I should. This week, the kids have said a few things I wanted to remember. I thought I would document them here.

Major's prayers are often very wordy. They are so heartfelt. It makes us smile to hear him pour his little heart out to God. I hope this never changes. As kids often do, he makes sweet and humorous statements in his prayers without ever realizing it. Recently, it has been on his heart to pray "that everyone in our family will be Christians, and that their family will be Christians, and that their family will be Christians, and that their family will be Christians, and so on and so on...and that it will never end." Well, he decided to change this up a little bit. This week, he started adding "and that we will never be Muslims, that we will be Christians from the time we are little kids all the way until we are adults." He is very serious about his requests. Perhaps that is why they are so sweet. I'm not exactly sure why he is thinking about things like this, except for possibly the few times that Islam has been mentioned in the kids' schooling. Not really sure...

He always prays for the children who live on the streets and whatever is on his mind at the time. So sweet.

Major spent some time with his cousins this week. His aunt told me that he said a sincere prayer that his cousins wouldn't contract the swine flu. Silly boy!

Speaking of the swine flu... Mary Alice had a conversation with her Aunt Taylor earlier this week. It went something like this:

Mary Alice: "So what did you want to be when you grew up when you were a little girl?"

Taylor: "When I was really little, I wanted to be a doctor. Then I decided I wanted to be an artist. Now that is what I am."

MA: "I haven't quite decided what I want to do yet. I think I might want to be a writer of books or maybe I might work at Wal Mart or Half Price Books."

T: "Oh?"

MA: "The more I think about it, though, the more I think I'm going to work at Half Price Books instead of Wal Mart. That way I'd have less chance of getting the swine flu."

The swine flu just might be on our minds around here. We know SO many people who have contracted it. Maybe my constant reminders to "Wash your hands!" or "Take a good nap so you don't get sick!" have something to do with it. :)

Mary Alice and Major have several special characters they've invented. They joke about them all the time. They are imaginary characters that do certain silly things. The characters have quirks and unique personalities. The kids entertain themselves by blaming things on these characters and making up jokes and stories about the things that the characters say and do.

Here are some of their special characters.

"Joshua and Emily"- (The good guys) These friends have stable, normal-sounding names. These are the characters that MA and Maje refer to when they want friends who do normal things and live inside the box. For example, "Joshua and Emily are helping do the dishes."

"Johnny Cuckoo-" a two year old with a tattoo who goes around tricking people and getting into mischief. Johnny Cuckoo is to blame whenever something goes wrong. He does things that Mary Alice and Major would like to do, but wouldn't dare or things that they think are extremely mischievous and funny. For example, "Johnny Cuckoo threw that dirty diaper in the parking lot. Shame on him!"

"Chrissa-" (Johnny Cuckoo's younger sister) a one year old who tags along with Johnny Cuckoo and copies him in all he says and does.

"Mikey"- (also has a tattoo) He disobeys his parents constantly and tries to get others to join in on committing his unbelievable crimes with him. The kids like to make jokes with each other about the things that "Mikey" would do if he were here.

So you can see that my kids equate having a tattoo with being a misfit. I've tried to explain to them that lots of nice people have tattoos, but for some reason, it hasn't gotten through to them.

"Chandelier Moscow"- so named for the hat that he wears that looks like a chandelier. He always has a scowl on his face and looks generally unpleasant. His main hobby is destruction. He breaks useful things in half. The kids like to make up stories about Chandelier Moscow's many adventures in mayhem and terror.

"Moscow Chandelier"- a twin brother of Chandelier Moscow who wears the same hat as his brother, but turned sideways, He does the same things as his brother, his partner in crime and also has a scowl on his face

"Baby"- Strangely, this infant has the job of patrolling traffic... Since he doesn't know red from green or stop from go, this causes many a problem for him...specifically, being run over again and again. Poor baby! His one line (I might add that I have heard this repeated one too many times around our house...) is "STOP! STOP! EVERYONE STOP!"

My very inventive (and notably odd) children have fun with these silly jokes of theirs. I know that this time will pass quickly, though Mary Alice assures me that Moscow Chandelier and gang will follow them to college and beyond. I might inadvertently be making a case for why my children need the "socialization" found in the public school system. Regardless, I believe their creative past time is healthy and definitely a source of entertainment for our family during our days at home.

I love it that the kids are kept busy with these silly games and that their little imaginations are blossoming so much each day. It is important to me to record these things that make our little family so special so that I will never forget. As time changes, and these characters step aside to make room for real life, I can look back...and smile.

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Thankfully the kids still love their tattooed & misfit aunt & uncle!!

Candice said...

Love it...such creativity!