Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Homeschooling...Then and Now


I’ve had four different people contact me in the last week who are considering homeschooling for their family. It seems like everywhere I turn, there is another friend who is seriously contemplating  teaching their kids at home. How things have changed!
 
When I was a little girl, my parents pulled my brother and I out of the public school system and brought us home to learn. I was in the fifth grade. My brother was in the second. Mom and Dad were trying out some newfangled idea that they’d heard about from one of my dad’s patients, the idea of teaching your own children all they needed to know at home. It seemed a bold move at the time, one which only the daring attempted. My mom and dad were some of the pioneers of the movement. They were the objects of criticism and concern by many of their friends and family members. Most had never heard of it.
             I remember Mom breaking the news to the authorities at the school where I attended. It was just before the new school year was to start. While we were there, I was asked to go up the hall of my former school to a classroom. I had to collect something-or-other. While Mom talked with the school personnel in the front office, I walked up the hallway toward my old classroom alone.  I was immediately surrounded by a crowd of my former teachers and their colleagues. I was bombarded with questions. “Why are your parents home schooling you? Were they unhappy with the school? Were they unhappy with your teachers? Is your mother a qualified teacher? How is she going to teach you with all of those little brothers and sisters running around? What about your friends?”  I stared blankly at them, not really knowing how to respond. My fifth grade self instinctively knew that something was wrong with the whole picture. They were so...panicked.  They knew so little about the idea of this so-called home schooling and clearly disapproved of the whole situation, this blatant breaking of “the rules” about how things were supposed to be done.  As we walked back out to the car, I relayed the whole scene to my mother. Their concerned faces and tones had cast doubts in my mind about the plan my parents had for my education. Was this really such a good idea? What was it about their decision that would make me the object of a combination of fear and wonder by authority figures who had formerly been responsible for educating me? By placing me in this situation, had they sentenced me to a downward spiral into doom, from which I could never hope to recover? What the heck were they doing?!?
It must’ve been difficult for my mother. She and Dad felt convicted that this was what God wanted for their family.  Homeschooling  was very different from what it is now. Support systems were minimal. Information was hard to find. People seemed generally unsupportive. We were doing something considered freakish for the times. None of their friends did it. Nobody at church did it. We were weird. Visits to the grocery store, the library, or anywhere else during school hours garnered remarks and head shaking about why we were out during the day. “Were we out of school for the day?” they wondered. When we explained that we were home schooled they would usually get a puzzled expression and either stand there speechless, or start asking even more questions.
                  During our first year of home schooling, Mom was pregnant with my sister, Hannah. She was extremely sick. She laid on the couch for months that year, getting down to ninety pounds. She was so weak; I remember her slowly shuffling across the house each time she had to use the restroom. She was bent over like an old lady. She was weak and sickly. I know she felt terrible. I didn’t make things any easier on her. I was angry!  I was belligerent. I remember shouting at her, “You can’t teach me! You aren’t even a real teacher!” What an ignorant brat I was! Mom was juggling four children and pregnant with a fifth. She was so sick. She lost lots of weight and people from church started bringing us food. Mom trudged through that first year of school to the best of her ability.  
          I remember feeling so lonely back then. While attending public schools, I had been extremely social. I had lots of friends at school. I was one of the more outgoing students, voted class clown, always up to some sort of shenanigan, more of a leader than a follower.  Being social was pretty important to me. Realizing this, my mom found out that the local home schooling group met regularly at a nearby skating rink one day a week and started bringing our family to participate. I resisted her efforts to try to get me to incorporate into this group. I hated going to the activities. I told my mother of my misery and how I didn’t like to hang out with the people there. They all wore funny denim skirts and held hands with their brothers and sisters. I was a big fat snob. I felt so sad. I missed my school social life. Since I didn’t see my “good friends” from school on a regular basis, they mostly forgot about me. It was a very hard time for me. When we would go to the skating rink or any of the other activities that mom and the other mothers put together for us, I would put my nose up in the air and roll my eyes at the people there. I was terrible. What a brat! I believe that ultimately these years of being on the outside were character building years, ones that made me more empathetic and compassionate towards people who are different or left out. God used these years for lots of things, but this was one good thing that came from those years of heartache.
                     I did eventually meet a few girls that I was able to be friendly with, so that helped. It was funny. I remember feeling like in the public schools I’d had the reputation as being from the one of the most super conservative families among my peers and their parents. I’d had to leave several events because the movies were deemed inappropriate by my parents and was far more sheltered than most of my friends.  I remember sometimes being the one who was secretly judging my friends or the habits of their families as bad choices. As a new home schooler though, I found that I was often the one who felt judged. I remember always being afraid of one girl’s mom in particular, who always seemed to be viewing me through a magnifying glass. This woman’s face possessed an unintentional scowl. Through her frown lines, I felt like she saw me as some sort of a corrupting influence in her daughter’s life. When this girl would come over to play, I remember being so scared that I would do or say the wrong thing and that she wouldn’t be allowed to play with me ever again. This girl and I became great friends and her mother eventually grew less concerned about her daughter keeping company with me, but I was always cautious in her presence.
My parents were conservative and religious, but only in comparison to my public schooled friends. When you put them in with the home schooled crowd, they could be viewed by some as the black sheep of the bunch. What would make us appear this way? Maybe it was because we watched secularly minded television shows, “risqué” shows like Family Matters and Full House.  I had Barbie dolls. I listened to the New Kids on the Block and read secular books. Our family didn’t have nightly family devotions. I didn’t wear denim skirts. My parents didn’t believe in courting. The list goes on and on. Most people were homeschooling their children back then because they were extremely religious. It was so different than it is now.
             When we started home schooling, back in the late eighties, safety was a concern. Mom joined something called the Home School Legal Defense Association. For a yearly fee, this was an organization that provided a lawyer in case someone tried to take your children away from you for a home school related reason. The law at the time stated that we didn’t have to answer to anyone. There had been cases of school authorities coming to a child’s house, knocking on the door and trying to take the child away because the family had opted out of the public school system. Mom had coached us on how to respond to questions or what to do if someone came to our door. In a small way, it felt as though we were running from the Nazis, even though everything we were doing was perfectly legal. There was a sense of hiding out from those pesky school authorities that I knew were out to rain on our parade. So many people were ignorant about the laws. Many people were just unsure, especially older people. We got lots of, “Those kids should be in school! How are they going to be socialized?” 
Mom had done her research and found that plentiful data existed on homeschooled children that reflected highly on both their test performance and social skills. It seemed that even back in the late eighties, homeschooled children were being sought after by universities all over the nation for their academic successes.
           So much has changed over the last almost thirty years! People are being drawn toward the idea of home schooling by the droves! I hear from people all the time who are prayerfully considering home schooling for their family. I love that my children and I don’t have to be pioneers. They aren’t alone. Probably a third of their friends from church are homeschooled. My kids have lots of friends.
People who home school their children are no longer viewed as denim skirt wearing vigilantes. They are your everyday people. They are often highly-educated, passionate people who just want to do something good for their kids. Though some of the people are doing it for religious reasons, many just want to hang out with their kids more or cater to their unique learning needs or whatever. I think home schooled families are generally people who want to make their own rules and do things their own way. In my experience sometimes home schooled families have trouble with following rules. They are still pioneers, searching for better avenues of educating their little ones.
                There are opportunities everywhere for the family who chooses to educate their children at home! There are curriculums that are tailor made for every type of homeschooled family. There are programs for people who don’t want to do any teaching and people who want to be right by their children’s side all day long. There are social networks, academic resources, anything and everything anyone who was interested might every need or want. It is truly amazing just how far homeschooling has come!
          I know that home schooling isn’t for every family. I am grateful that we live in a country where people can choose how they want their children to be educated. We live in a land of options.  My next post will detail why we feel that homeschooling is best for our little family and try to answer many of the questions that people keep asking me about the how and why of our family’s homeschooling journey.



No comments: