Sunday, February 05, 2006

Bald Men Can Be So Frustrating At Times



Just a few funny things the kids have been saying lately...

Funny Mary Alice:

Today, while on the way to the gym, I asked Mary Alice if she liked going with me. She said she loved it.
"Why?" I asked.
"Because you get to exercise." she said. "You must exercise. It is very important." she said.
"Why do you have to exercise?" I asked her.
"You must exercise so that your body doesn't hang out of your swimsuit." Mary Alice said.
Hmmm. I hope she didn't realize that by looking at me in my swimming suit.

Yesterday, on the way to church, Mary Alice was looking through her children's bible. She said, "I am turning to Max. Where is it?" Josh and I looked at her with a puzzled look. Josh told her that there was no book of Max in the Bible. "Oh yeah," she said. "I meant Acts." Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Max.... seems to follow the pattern of male names. Makes sense.

Mary Alice is very particular, almost obsessive compulsive about several things. She gets stuck on an idea and won't let it go. For about two years, her favorite thing in the world has been Disney Princesses. It can be really annoying, because she never wants to try anything new and especially gets freaked out with new movies. She finds something in every new movie that scares her or that she just doesn't like. It is very strange. Anyway- I guess Aunt Hannah was tired of watching Cinderella with her. Hannah tried to introduce a new movie to Mary Alice. ("The Princess Diaries") I actually have no idea what that movie is even about. So Hannah asked her if she wanted to watch The Princess Diaries. Mary Alice told Hannah that she did not want to watch it and would rather stick to Cinderella. I guess Hannah made her watch the movie, very certain that once she saw it, she would like it. When the movie was over, Hannah asked, "Well, Mary Alice, did you like that movie?" Mary Alice replied, "No, that movie frustrated me." "Why?" Hannah asked her. "That movie just frustrated me because there were too many bald men in it."
I have no idea where she got that one. I don't know if there are even any bald men in The Princess Diaries, but Mary Alice was determined to find something that she didn't like about it, I guess. Maybe someone who has seen this film can shed some light on this? Are there any bald men in that movie??? Or is my child just goofy?

A few days ago, I was telling a made up story to Mary Alice. The storyline involved a little girl whose parents prayed every night for her to make wise choices and to marry a godly man. Basically, when she grew up, she ended up having to make a decision between a man who didn't love Jesus and a man who loved Jesus with all of his heart. So- when I finish telling her stories of this nature, I always ask her questions to see what she understood and how this affects her, etc. So I told her, "Your Daddy and I pray every night for you to marry a man who loves Jesus with all of his heart. When you get older, do you think you will want to choose a man who loves Jesus or a man who loves himself instead of Jesus?" Quickly--- and I mean VERY QUICKLY-- she responded with, "I will go to Prestoncrest and marry Michael Collodi." Not the answer I was expecting. :( At least he comes from a good family. It just might work out, as long as Michael Collodi doesn't go bald. That would be very "frustrating" to Mary Alice. On second thought, one bald man may not frustrate her. It may only be bald men in numbers that make her anxious.


Sweet Major:

Right now, Major cracks me up. He answers every question with "Yes." or "ye ma'am." Very cute. It is especially funny when Josh asks him to do something and he responds with "Ye ma'am."

The other day, we were at a Christian bookstore getting a card for my sister. In the corner, there were some wooden crosses with three dimensional pewter Jesus' on them. I pointed to one of the Jesus figures and asked Major who it was. He said, "Jesus." It surprised me. I didn't think he would be able to identify a man on a cross as being Jesus. He must have picked that up somewhere. It is not something that I remember teaching him. It was encouraging to me that someone as young as Major already can identify a man on a cross as Jesus. Priceless.

I played Heigh Ho Cheerio with Mary Alice and Major a couple of days ago. They were so cute. We took turns spinning the wheel. I was trying to get them to take turns. Every time someone would spin the wheel, Major would shout, "My tun!" (my turn) He couldn't figure out the whole taking turns thing, but felt as if every time should be his "tun". Mary Alice (who really likes to abide by the rules) was getting so frustrated with him for "messing up the game". After playing several games, he finally got bored and ran off to play with his cars.

I went to a bookfair and bought some thinking skills books for Mary Alice. They help her with her weakness (which, like mine, is spatial intelligence). I bought this book that comes with attribute blocks, pattern blocks, and cubes. Mary Alice has to identify which shapes go where, which shapes are alike, sequences, etc. Well, Mary Alice likes it, but Major LOVES it. Last night, he had so much fun with that book and the blocks. You could see that he was really thinking it through. Mary Alice is definitely better at solving the spatial problems than Major is, but not by much! Major is my little problem solver.

I guess that's all I can think of that they've been up to lately. Life is always entertaining when kids are around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amber, Have you ever considered the possibility that Mary Alice doesn't like bald men because of Craig? In fact, I've noticed that I don't like bald men as much as I used to before I spent time with Craig... there might be something to this! J/K