Monday, February 13, 2006

On A Lighter Note...

On Saturday, Josh and I went to a VERY fun Valentine's party. Josh's parents came down to watch the kids so that we could go out. The entire party had been planned by husbands and the events of the evening kept a secret from all of us wives. We ate dinner in a room at La Madeline. Everything in the room was decorated so well, thanks to one of the girls' husbands, who has a natural flair for decorating and party planning. It was so nice to get away for a night and be with some of our friends, Ross and Jamie, and a chance to get to know some people from their church. The husbands all shared their engagement stories with the group. Each husband had also filled in a little card with what they would do for us "because they love us". So, Josh recommitted to a gift he gave me last year. Last Christmas, he gave me the gift of competition. I'm very competitive and not particularly good at reading my Bible every day. He agreed to "compete" with me to help motivate me to stay in the Word. We had a little game going, and would ask each other every day, "Did you read your Bible yesterday?" He always won the game every month, but it really helped me to be a daily Bible reader (or almost daily) last year. So, for Valentines' Day this year, he recommitted to read every day "against" me. So sad that I am so motivated by competition, but I'm glad that he is helping me to do what I know I should be doing anyway.

One of the wives in the group decided to throw a little something extra into the party. She thought that since the guys were planning the party, we girls needed to participate. She enlisted all of the girls in the class to compete against each other in a little writing contest. Her instructions were that we were to write about our husbands merits, describing what makes him "Mr. Wonderful 2006". She asked that we be witty, creative, and entertaining. Being that I love a good contest and especially love being silly, I was naturally thrilled about this contest. I knew that there was NO WAY I was going to be sappy and sentimental in my composition. I decided to do something a little different from the norm. At first I considered writing a poem, but thought that might not be witty enough. Then I decided on a song, but then realized that I would have to sing it in front of a group. No thanks. Finally, I decided to change the lyrics to an old beloved ditty that many in my generation know well. I went to Vanilla Ice for my inspiration. I just thought it would be fun to share my handiwork with my blogger friends. So here it is:


(To Be Rapped To the Tune of “Ice Ice Baby”--) Crowd Participation Strongly Encouraged on Chorus

Yo, VIP, Let’s kick it!

Chorus:
Nice, Nice Baby…
He is my Nice Nice Baby….

All right stop
Collaborate and LISTEN
My hubby’s back from a dental CONVENTION
Comes home, grabs a hold of me TIGHTLY
He’s workin’ hard… daily and NIGHTLY..
Will he ever mop?
Yo, I don’t know.
I sing high and he sings low.
Other girls’ hubbies are chumps and VANDALS
Mine serves me dinner with CANDLES…

He can DANCE.
And He eats my food
Even when he doesn’t really like MUSHROOMS.
Whatever I cook, he says it’s good
He does everything well, like I knew he would.
Love him, I love him
It won’t go away
He takes the kids out in the yard to play
If there was a problem, yo, he’d solve it,
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

Repeat Chorus

Now that our kids are jumpin’
And my face looks tired and my headache is pumpin’
Quick to the help is my wonderful helpmate
Jump in the car and go on a date.
Goin somewhere like the Amon or KIMBALL
Even just keepin it plain and SIMPLE
With an old hat or a souped up t-shirt.
We’re on a roll, I’ll never go solo.
We’re ROLLIN, he is a 10.0
The windows stay up so my hair won’t blow.
The girlies at his work are
Waitin just to say hi,
Will he stop?
No. He just walks by.
It’s me he’s pursuing and he won’t stop
He busts a left to the flower shop
The flowers were dead-- Yo

So we continue to a good mall with a --- SAKS 5TH AVENUE!!!
He thinks I look hot even in a BIKINI,
He thinks I look nicer than a LAMBORGHINI,
You should be jealous
Cause he’s so fine
My hubby is a 10 and yours is a 9.
ATHLETIC …. big strong, and tall,
I bet you can’t beat him at a game of baseball.
SMART, like Alexander Graham BELL,
Grabbed him, he’s mine
And I know him well,
FALLIN’ in love with him real fast,
He’s so great and he doesn’t pass gas.
Bumper to Bumper on his way to work,
Even when he’s stressed he doesn’t act like a jerk,
Lookin’ bad in my jeans,
You know what I mean?
He builds me up, makes me feel like a queen,
If there was a problem, yo, he’d solve it.
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

Nice nice baby….
He is my nice nice baby…..
Repeat Chorus

Take heed, cause I’m a lyrical POET,
I have the best hubby just in case you didn’t KNOW IT,
Mr. Wonderful is his rightful name,
He’s the obvious winner of this crazy little game,
He doesn’t need a chemical PEEL,
And the way he makes me FEEL,
He’s NUMBER ONE, an original concept,
This isn’t hype, he is SMOOTH,
My love won’t fade, He can slice like a ninja and cut like a rajorblade,
So fast, other wives say, “MAN! If your husband was a drug, they’d sell him by the gram!”
He keeps his composure when teeth are loose,
I’m magnetized by his smile and he likes orange juice.

If there was a problem, yo, he’d solve it.
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

Repeat Chorus 2x

Yo ! Let’s get out of here! Word to your mother!



I thought it was pretty fun to write this. I didn't win, but at least it was entertaining. If only I'd learned some of Vanilla's moves..... :)

11 comments:

jenny biz said...

YOU DIDN"T WIN????? Are you kidding me?? That was awesome!!

Hannah Ruthie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hannah Ruthie said...

well, I messed up on my other comment so here I go again.

oh man. I thought it was good. Who won? I think you and I make a pretty good team. :)

Holly said...

Amber - that was great! I was laughing so hard and the greatest part is that I could rap the entire song. Yes, still remembering the real words from Junior High. I must say you are very creative and I am sure you made lots of smiles in the room. You win in my book. Love you girl!

mcjacobsjournal said...

I really can't believe that anyone beat you on that! I'm so incredibly impressed! I'm sure Josh was too (which means you really did win!)

And, like other comments here, it was pretty funny to rap it in my head with the right emphasis and everything. Some songs never leave your head, I guess!

I'm glad y'all had such a great time!

Unknown said...

I think the judging was rigged! You should definitely demand a recount. Like Brooke, I thought about our NuNu song. I guess fun can be had by everyone when Vanilla Ice is involved!

MereMoore said...

oh my goodness you are awesome!! i can't believe you didn't sweep the competition!!! crazy! i was so rappin while reading that!! love vanilla! i too think of deana carter and dumb butterfly kisses and think of the yellow house!! fun times-thanks for the prayers!!

Traci said...

You should have won, Amber! That rocks! I had no idea that you were so witty and creative. I never knew you that well but you always seemed quiet and shy to me! I am so glad that I get to see the cool, crazy Amber in your blogs. I think you are great!!

Alyssa said...

That was GREAT! I agree... how did you not win??? I love picturing you rapping and i'd like to give you "props" for figuring out how to use Alexander Graham Bell in a rap song! Happy Valentines day! :)

Kristen OQ said...

What??? You didn't win the contest...that must have been SOME competition.

You might have a new career in lyrical writing -- that was awesome.

Melanie said...

Okay, if you didn't win, I really want to hear what the other lady did!! Love all the updates!!