Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Balance

This week I have been busy trying to juggle the many different things I have to do. Actually, I don't HAVE to do all of them, because if that were the case, I'd be in big trouble. I have lots of aspirations about things that I want to do. I WANT to cook a homemade dinner every night. I WANT to keep my house clean. I WANT to read my Bible every day. I don't HAVE to, so I don't. :( I struggle with balance. I don't know exactly how to efficiently accomplish all of the goals that I have. I think that my expectations and goals are a little too high sometimes, maybe not even realistic. Someone out there must be a talented time-juggler! Any hints on time management would be much appreciated!

Here are some questions that I have:

1) How do you keep your house clean and still have adequate one on one time with your kids? I try to include the kids in my daily activities (letting them help me mop the floor or dust, etc.) and that works for a short while, but lots of time they end up messing up more than they help. I sometimes feel like if I actually kept my house super clean, I would not be able to spend good quality time with my kids. When do you find the time to clean your house---from top to bottom??? My house is always in a state of partial cleanliness. If the laundry is done, the floors need to be mopped. If the floors are mopped, the laundry needs to be done. You get the point.

2) Does anyone have any good ways to keep kids things from being strewn about all over the house? Mary Alice has to pick up everything that she gets out. Major is starting to have to pick up a little bit, but he mostly just creates messes. I am tired of finding various sports equipment all around the house.

3)It is very important to me that my family eat quality, healthy foods. I don't always feel like chopping vegetables for an hour or spending lots of time preparing. I am tired of two combos that our family eats way too often: grilled salmon with steamed veggies and grilled chicken with steamed veggies. Does anyone have any other quick, healthy, but easy dinner ideas?

4) I know that my friend Tamra rises before the crack of dawn to get ready for the day and read her Bible. Does anyone have and OTHER suggestions for carving out necessary study time each day? I admire super early risers, but don't think that is for me.

5) Other things that I WANT to do and feel like I NEED to do, but can't seem to do: work out, take the kids out for service related things (visiting nursing homes), have friends over for lunch, update my blog. I want to take advantage of the "fun" things about being a stay at home mom (lunch picnics at the park, making crafts together, playing dolls with Mary Alice, playing ball with Major.) I also would like to help Josh out a little bit. I have been wanting to mow the lawn for him for a few days. Surprise!!! I haven't done it. I can do one or two of these things, but then the others fall behind. It is a constant battle for me.

I try not to look around and compare myself to others too much, because I that makes me discouraged. It seems like lots of my friends have their act together. Any of you ladies have any ideas of how I can get a handle on this full time job??

7 comments:

Alisha Stewart said...

I feel your pain. Not too long ago a friend of mine was telling me that her husband was commenting on how I always keep my house so clean. She was asking how I did it and I just laughed. My house is only super clean when we have company. If you come any other day of the week you would be shocked. I suspect that is the case with most people. My advice: I think that I'm doing good if I clean one room a day. That's seven days a week so by the end of the week all of the rooms will have been cleaned. Of course they won't still be clean by then, but at least I feel accomplished and have time to do fun things with Landon and my friends. As for dishes and laundry, I have to do a load of each every day and I don't think their is any way around that. I'll bring some recipes this weekend and we can swap.

Amber Knauss said...

Amber, I have one magical phrase for you... "grande carmel macchiato, extra shot of expresso please". Whether you do Starbucks on the go, or coffee at home, or just soft drinks, I'm convinced parents only survive off of caffeine. :) Hope that helps! Take care - Amber

Amber Knauss said...

Amber, I have one magical phrase for you... "grande carmel macchiato, extra shot of expresso please". Whether you do Starbucks on the go, or coffee at home, or just soft drinks, I'm convinced parents only survive off of caffeine. :) Hope that helps! Take care - Amber

Unknown said...

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I don't. I only have one (who is still little), and since Boone hasn't started school yet, he is home most of the time. I will be facing these problems come August when things get more hectic for Boone. I will say that I try to do laundry every night even if they are small loads because it makes is so much more manageable than looking at one ginormous 5 load pile of laundry. It has helped me a lot. I am a night owl, and I usually do everything late at night. I also subscribe to the large caffeine intake lifestyle.

I have always had a sort of protocol for house cleaning and guests. I clean very well for the first time they come over, but after that, they don't get guest treatment any more. They only get routine cleaning such as sweeping the floors, straightening up, etc. I HATE housecleaning, and I have already told Boone that when he is done with school and working as a doctor, we are hiring a maid to come every other week. Spoiled, yes, but that is going to be my one splurge!

I will keep my eyes and ears open for healthy recipes for you! You will also be in my prayers! Good luck and be prepared to share your tips with me in a couple of years!

Candice said...

I struggle with the balance myself. One thing I have found helpful is putting a lot of their toys (especially those with a lot of small parts) up in the closet in plastic tubs. Anna Kathryn can ask for those toys and then she has to have it all picked up before we get out something new. We still have things out for her to pick out on her own (and I still find things scattered around the house), but it has helped get a handle on all the little toys and their parts. And it makes toys seem more exciting when they're not right at her disposal.

Also...you might check out www.flylady.com.

I keep looking back at your post because I am hoping to get some good ideas myself!

Phillips Family said...

A cleaning tip that I do is to keep those packages of cleaning wipes hidden in each room. They have Windex, Scrubbing Bubbles, and Pledge wipes. Each day I wipe down the bathroom counter tops, mirrors, and toliet once I am done getting ready. Then every other day I wipe down random furniture with the Pledge wipes. This keeps everything looking clean most days. Then I clean everything "for real" on Friday mornings so we go into the weekend with a clean house. Also I try to clean quickly (but efficently) so i can perhaps burn off a few calories...

Traci said...

I just let the house go, usually. Then I pick up during naps and quiet time and only REALLY clean once or twice a month.

I DID think of Kylie and Mary Alice at VBS this week. That was such a sweet little sight!!