Thursday, June 15, 2006

Duty Calls

To anyone who hasn't given up on reading my blog.... Yes, I am still alive and well. I haven't entirely given up on blogging. Thank you for the notes and calls of concern. To answer you guys, I just haven't really been in a blogging mood lately. My younger sister, Taylor, moved in with us for the summer. Taylor's life is extremely busy and hectic. She is juggling a full time job as a graphic designer intern at a company in Ft. Worth., her photography business (which keeps her very busy after work), doing some graphic design work on the side, all while spending her nights getting ready to be in a local play. Her schedule has me worn out! I stay up later, get less done, and worry more. Living with her is so much fun, but must be comparable to living with a teenager. I now know the feeling of "waiting up" on someone. She is very fun to be around. We stay up late and talk and laugh. My blogging life has slowed WAY down. I have found that I am a little more tired than usual and a little less inclined to use my free time to sit at the computer. Sometimes, I use a little time to check up on my friends', but just haven't felt as much like journaling our goings on here. Maybe I'll get better. Maybe. The regular blogging might have to wait, though until Taylor moves out in August. We'll see...

Josh's practice is coming along nicely. He opened his doors three weeks ago. He has had more patients per day at this point than I thought he would have, which is encouraging. It is always scary to start a new business. I feel confident that when people realize what an honest and genuinely caring dentist Josh is, they will be lining up down the street for care. For now though, we are patiently waiting for the word to get out and for his new business to grow. I still have a little bit of work to do on the office. I'm actually a little bit tired of thinking about decorating. As with many of the projects I start, I am wishing that someone else would finish it up for me. That is one of my many weaknesses. I need a little more sticktoitness.

Today I am up here at Josh's office answering phones because the person who usually does that is on vacation. Yikes!! It is here at his office that I have found a little bit of time to blog. I don't feel bad about blogging on the job because I am working for no pay. :) There are many reasons that I am not the most qualified person for this job....

1. My voice sounds like a twelve year old. My soft voice is something that I have always had to work hard to overcome. First of all, I am quiet as a mouse. In a crowd, I always have to "yell" for my voice to be heard. Also, when I yell to make myself heard in a crowd, my voice doesn't get much louder, but merely sounds like a yelling mouse. My voice gives the appearance of someone who is gentle and quiet, meek and mild, and 12!! This does not reassure the patient that they are dealing with a professional, competent organization. Much to my dismay, I am not really gentle, meek, or mild. I hate it that when people meet me they assume that I am many things that I am not all because of my voice.

2. My voice makes me a walking doormat at times. Last year I had to work closely with a woman who is not much older than me, but is known for her extremely loud mouth, bossy ways, and boisterous personality. This woman is large and in charge and commands the attention of all who see her coming with her booming voice and untimely comments about things such as body odor and farting. Wonder why they paired me with her for a project??? Maybe they thought, Amber is so quiet and gentle. She, of all people will not mind working with this woman. If the people who paired me with this annoying woman had known that my mouse-like voice has a strong personality that likes to be in charge and that my voice will squeak a definite "I refuse to be a door mat" perhaps I would have been paired with someone who was less of a take charge type. I do not like being ordered around, unless it is by a person who is really good at what they are telling me to do. (This annoying woman was not.) Enough about her... What this means about my phone answering skills is this... I am not a very good at service with a smile. I am not sure how I would respond if someone was rude to me or, worse yet, treated me like I was a youngster by calling me "hon" or "sweetie". I already had to bite my tongue once this morning. Blah.

3. I am not quick on my feet. If you have ever answered phones you know that you have to think quickly and sound like you know what you are doing. You are supposed to sound friendly and have a ready response for each of the many different questions you might be required to answer. I have never been quick on my feet. I also don't know the answers to very many of the questions that are asked. Of course, Josh has provided me with a handy little sheet that tells me how to answer the questions. I don't want to answer the phone and then say, "Hold on, ummmm..... (while I hurriedly scroll throught the list of questions and answers) Oh yes.... ummm... uhhhh, Yes, we do accept your insurance." I can't wait for the woman who usually works here to get back!!

4. I want to be silly. I think this job is too boring. Too many people depend on you to be knowledgeable and professional and may not appreciate any attempt at silliness. How I really really want to disguise my voice! Can't do it. Not here anyway.

5. I have been out of the workforce for too long. Going to an official job is something that I haven't done in over four years. I feel very much at ease in a room full of preschoolers. When it comes to dealing with the adult world and using adult language, however, I feel a bit out of practice. When I don't know what I am doing, I am NOT good at faking it, either.

I think I am going to get back to work. Duty calls. Maybe I'll answer the phone with a silly voice, just once.

7 comments:

hollyfouts said...

Thanks so much for the update! I have been wondering about you guys. I feel so out of touch with the "working world". I really don't have any idea what I will ever do if I have to go get a real job. And the longer I go without one the more and more distant it becomes. It sounds like everything is busy for your whole family. We'll be thinking of you while you all adjust to new jobs, roommates, etc. I miss not getting to hang out with yall this summer....We haven't been skiing even once!

Unknown said...

I can relate with the voice issues. People are always calling my house and asking for my mommy or daddy. There was even one incident where Carolyn was working on the Welcome Week Steering Committee, and a woman from some business called about something relating to Carolyn's duties. When I answered the phone, she asked me if I was Carolyn's daughter. Why do people just assume?

Although tiring, it sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your sister, and I am sure that Mary Alice and Major enjoy seeing their aunt. Hope you can blog every once in a while to let us know you are alive and well!

Anonymous said...

Amber, it's great to read your thoughts again! :) I can sure identify with wanting every once in a while to sound professional. Oh well! It's not meant to be. :) I LOVE your voice. You are so articulate and intelligent sounding, with a genuine femininity that is calming. I miss you!

Kristen OQ said...

I have been wondering about you guys! Good to hear things are happy and busy. My brother lived with me & Kevin one summer while he was in college and I, too,waited up for him, laughed a lot, and enjoyed it so much. It is one of my favorite summers I can remember.

I wish Josh was closer to us so I could go to him for dental work and advice! If I find a hardworking, trustworthy dentist, I will hang on to him!

Erica said...

I am glad to hear you are all alive and well. I had really missed your sweet posts. Sounds like you have been one busy woman. Enjoy this special time with your sister,you will have so many wonderful memories from it. You continue to be in our prayers with all the changes going on. I am sure that Josh's practice will thrive very soon. Try to slow down a little:)

Hannah Ruthie said...

I think you sound like an adult on the phone...:)

mcjacobsjournal said...

Amber, it's so good to have a new update from your family!! I have missed hearing from you via blogworld. And, I was laughing at your "situation" last year with someone loud and boisterous. I have a REALLY good guess what situation that was...and you handled it so well!!

It was so great to see you Sunday night! I wish Mark and the girls could have been there too. We need to get our families together soon. :)