Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Happy Birthday to Mary Alice, the girl.....


"Mary Alice, Mary Alice, Mary Alice, the girl...."
"Mary Alice, Mary Alice, Mary Alice, the girl...."
"She's sweet as she can be, she knows just what to do!"
"Mary Alice, Mary Alice, Mary Alice,the girl...."

"Mary Alice, Mary Alice, Mary Alice, the girl...."
"Mary Alice, Mary Alice, Mary Alice, the girl...."
"She's so nice and so sweet, she's the best in the world!"
"Mary Alice, Mary Alice, Mary Alice, the girl..."


To My sweet Mary Alice on her 5th birthday-

My little girl, sweet little one, where is the time going? I can hardly believe that you are turning five today. It seems like not so long ago that your Dad and I found out that we were going to be parents. We were both SO excited and SO anxious. I remember on the way home from the doctor's office when we found out that you were going to be a "Mary Alice" instead of a "Major" just how excited we were. We talked about all of the things that you might do and be, but we never anticipated the huge joy that you would bring to our lives.

From the moment we knew that there was a you, we never stopped praying about your character, about your love for Jesus, and about your future. God continues to answer our prayers every day. I see in you so many good things that I am not. You are such a genuinely happy and sweet little girl. You are a people pleaser. You love to do for others. I can see God's grace to us when he gave us a child like you. He really did smile on us with the gift of you, my Mary Alice girl. Your Dad and I were both horrible kids: stubborn, tantrum-throwing brats. (We still are sometimes.) If there were ever two people who did not deserve such a sweet child, it was the two of us. You are a real treasure, one that I am thankful for every day.

When you were born, they gave you to me and let me hold you. You had your eyes wide open and were sucking your thumb. I never saw a prouder Dad than yours that day. You were perfect and beautiful to us.

I remember that first year that I was home with you as being the best year of my life. You were such a good baby, such a "little adult" from an early age. You could be reasoned with, talked to like an adult, and you understood. You were my little buddy. I had so much fun with you. We saw every day as an adventure. You always liked being read to. I always liked to read to you. So we made a good team. I must've read hundreds of books to you those first few years.! I remember friends making remarks about your vocabulary and your memory when you were so little. You were really funny to watch, because you sounded so much older than you looked.

You have always been a bit obsessive compulsive. We think you got that from a few much loved family members. :) You like for things to be done the same way, which is the RIGHT way, all of the time. We have been frustrated at times by the need to have your blanket, your socks or hair "perfectly straight". You can be a perfectionist, and that can be a good thing, but something you might have trouble overcoming later. We're still working on trying to make you understand that things don't always have to be perfect to be just right.

One thing that amazes us is that with most things, you don't have to be told something more than once. You have the memory of an elephant! (This also can be a good thing or a bad thing.) If we tell you not to do something, you generally obey. If you forget, you are genuinely, even tearfully, sorry. Also, a few weeks ago, I was griping at people in traffic. When you asked me about why I was saying those mean things, I apologized. I told you that I didn't want to do that any more and that I was going to try to work on being more patient. Sure enough, a few days later it happened again. You said, "Mom, remember that you are trying to work on being more patient." Sure feels good to have to be reminded of those things by your four year old. I was glad that you told me though. It is scary to think that you are watching ME all of the time, learning about the right things to do and not do.

You are such a friendly little girl right now. Now that is an answer to prayers!!! You greet nearly everyone you see with a smile and a friendly "Hello!" You give hugs freely and love so many people. Your Dad and I are so proud of the way that you interact with strangers and hope that your love for others continues to grow. On Sunday, we went to a friend's baby shower. As we were leaving, you ran up and told her "Congratulations!" I thought it was funny that you would say that. You are polite and make people smile with your mannerly sayings. You use words like "lovely", "perhaps", and whatever else you might have picked up from one of your books. You love words! You are always so full of silly comments and entertain lots of our friends with the proper, adult-like phrases you use and your funny ways. Just the other day, we were somewhere with some people you didn't know. You talked to a woman there like she was your best friend. The woman laughed at you and asked me, "Is she always this.....verbose?" We are so proud of your friendliness and joyfulness. We are so proud of your verbal abilities and love of language. We hope it is something that you never outgrow!

Some things you are doing right now: laughing a silly, attention-getting laugh (which we think is very cute), reading Amelia-Bedelia books, writing "stories" for your Dad, taking naps with me, The hiney dance--(though you are almost at the end of that stage. You've passed it on to your little brother.), singing songs from The Music Man-"Pick A Little Talk a Little", "Shapoopy" are your favorites, dancing around like a ballerina, being a little mother hen to Major, making him play baby dolls with you:) , eating flavored lip gloss and non-fluoride toothpaste (Big TRUBS!!), quoting Scripture, trying to sing harmony in church(melts my heart when you try to sing along with the adults), wanting to fix your own hair (Or rather, not fix it), music, playing "horseplay" with your Dad, running on your toes, being a girl

Things you love right now: Funny foods (prunes, radishes with Ranch dressing, sweet potatoes, pea pods, popcorn, koolaid ( up until this year, you called it "juice"), milk, cookies, cotton candy Also: makeup, nail polish, perfume, dresses, the stage, playing with your baby dolls, playing preschool with my felt board, reading to your little brother, snuggling with me, reading with your Dad or me, when people take time to talk to you and be with you, the library, riding in the car at the grocery store, cracking eggs, measuring things out when we cook, playing tea party, going with your Dad on a date in his black truck

Things you don't like: being sweaty, flies (You are deathly afraid of all bugs.), doing "boy" things, hot rollers, hair tangles, friends who are mean, People who ignore you (It is amazing to me how many people ignore you and Major in the grocery store or whatever when you shout out greetings to them! I want to say- PEOPLE, why won't you say hi to my kids???RUDE!) Some nice, friendly folks say hi back, though. That really makes your day!, when Major doesn't listen to you or says "NO!" to you.

A funny thing you said to me today: My kids know the verse "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." I am TRYING to teach them to use gentle answers when in a dispute with a negative person. Today, Mary Alice came bounding into my bedroom with Major. "Mom!" she said. "I gave a gentle answer to Major, but it didn't turn away wrath!!!"

Happy Birthday to my sweet, special Mary Alice! God made you just for your Dad and I to train up in the way you should go so that you can walk in His ways. We pray every day for wisdom and guidance about what to teach you, how to teach you, and about your gifts, your friends and your future family. You are a blessing to all who know you, sweet girl. We love you so much! It doesn't matter if you are five, or ninety five, you will always be my "girl".

12 comments:

mcjacobsjournal said...

Happy Birthday, Mary Alice!! (Kendyll sends her greetings too, after listening to me read this blog to her!! :)

Mary Alice truly is a special girl and I love reading all about her, since we don't get to see her as much anymore. I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating her and her sweet personality!

Kristen OQ said...

What a sweet post about your birthday girl. I am having a hard time myself believing that she turns 5 today! Enjoy celebrating the wonderful daughter you have.

hollyfouts said...

What a sweet, smart little girl. "Little adult" describes her so well:) She is wise beyond her years, but she is also so sweet and so well-mannered. (Or at least she was the last time I saw her.....it has been too long!)Happy Birthday!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Mary Alice! That was such a sweet and heartfelt letter to your precious daughter, Amber. She will love looking back on this and reading it again one day.

Shanta said...

Very sweet post Amber! Mary Alice will love going back and reading about all the precious memories with you. I got to catch up on your blog and I'm glad you guys have had some refreshing down time. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Amber, there is one thing you may not know about Mary Alice. Nons and I thought you kids were crazy when you announced to us that you were expecting. You were so young with so much school in front of you. We wondered about the wisdom of your having a child so soon.

What we didn't realize is that God, through you, was helping us through a very rough time that was to come in our lives. Mary Alice more than any other person in the world helped us cope during the most trying time in our lives. She was and truly is a very special gift that God has given to us, through you and Josh. We will always be in awe of God's precious gift, Mary Alice.

Love you, Grumpy

jenny biz said...

Happy Birthday, Mary Alice. Sounds like God is at work in your little heart!! You are so blessed to have a mom that is guiding in the way of Jesus! Hope to see you soon!! Malaya says hi!

Hannah Ruthie said...

oh, I love that girl. I always write about her on my myspace and brag about her to my friends...my poor kids will have a lot to live up to with her. I want to have a slumber party with her one time and bake in her easy bake oven. :)
Tell her "Cordelia Geraldine Bedilia" says hi! ;)

Hannah Ruthie said...

excuse me...I meant 'Bedelia'

Traci said...

What a sweet post to your adorable little girl. I can't believe that they are growing up so fast!! Where has the time gone?

Happy Birthday Mary Alice!!

Phillips Family said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

I love Amelia Bedelia books! They do tend to be long, but teach kids such great things.

You really do a great job of find interesting ways to teach your children the important rules of life. What a blessing! Keep up the good work!

Erica said...

Happy Birthday to a real sweetheart:) I cannot believe it has been five years already. I love all the things you said about her. I will never forget her sweet smile and manners. May she have the best birthday!! Love you all!!