Thursday, August 10, 2006

I'd Rather Be A Mommy

(Warning to people not interested in the "boring" life of a stay at home mom: Read no further!)

Do you ever have one of those days? Not one of those days when things go wrong, but when things go very very...right. That was today for me. In fact, this whole week has been great! I love days like today. They remind me of all that I have to be thankful for. God gives me these days usually on the tail end of seemingly awful weeks, which to me are weeks full the chaos of being away from home too much. This week has been peaceful.

What made this week so special? Nothing really extraordinary, just the simple life of a stay at home mom. I notice that the kids seem happier when we are at home. We all are happier when we don't have millions of things going on. We get up, get things in order around the house, get ready for the day and then spend lots of time together. I love it! This week we were able to start the day off with the usual morning routines, followed by lots of reading and snuggling together or playing board games, ball or chase with Major, or dolls with Mary Alice.

We spent lots of lazy time outside together. On Monday, Mary Alice and I packed snacks in a lunchbox and went for a walk around a nice shaded neighborhood. Mary Alice pushed her doll carriage and baby doll and Major pushed his stroller past several streets and houses until we were all hot and sweaty and too tired to go any more. Then we sat down in the shade and talked and enjoyed our picnic. It is amazing how easily they are entertained! Who needs Chuck-E Cheese's when you have the free entertainment of running into recycle bins with your strollers for fun?? They were so cute as their sweaty selves sat and ate their picnics. Perfect.

Another day, Josh was helping some friends move and had been gone all day. We were actually tired of being inside, so I took the kids to IHOP to eat dinner. After IHOP, we went to the local miniature golf place. Josh and I had taken the kids there before (in May sometime) and now EVERY time we pass by Major yells, "Mini Gof!" So I took them there just as the sun was setting. So it wasn't hot--AND we got in for free! Awesome!

Yesterday, I again made the kids a picnic and took them to the park for lunch. Nobody was there except for us, so we got to use the playground equipment for our personal playhouse. It is so fun to be able to play with the kids like this.

Another day we went to the library. Mary Alice has been on a big Amelia Bedelia kick lately and has gotten Major into it too. I got lots of little board books for him and he sortof likes them, but would usually rather have us read Amelia Bedelia to him. Did I mention that these books are eternally long? But there is nothing better than a little one in your lap, snuggling with you and wanting you to read to them.

A few days ago, Mary Alice and I were able to go to a tea given for some of the missionaries that our church supports. These people are missionaries in Chile, so the tea featured Chilean food and drink and the missionaries told about their work. That was a fun part of the week, taking Mary Alice to meet these missionaries. She was sweet and friendly and asked where they were from. I told her that they lived very far away, in another country called Chile. She said, "Oh, is it as far away as Florida?" (She really wants to go to Disney World, so to her Florida is worlds away.) I explained that it is a little farther than Florida. So, anyway, today we went to Mardel and bought a World Map. We had it laminated and are going to put the missionaries picture up on the country of Chile. I heard about this idea somewhere one time, helping to teach your kids global awareness and also good as a reminder to pray for those in the mission field. The kids seemed excited about it.

At Mardel, Mary Alice pointed to a sign hanging from the ceiling. "Look, Mom! That sign says BIBLES!" She seemed very pleased with herself. I explained that there were lots and lots of Bibles for sale in that corner of the store. "Oh." she said. "This place must be very holy." I tried not to laugh, but I did smile.

We browsed around the store, which was fun in itself. It is fun to me to enjoy just being with my kids, without the pressure of being somewhere soon or trying to find something in particular. It gives us lots of chances to talk. We played with the puppets and trains and books. I bought a lesson plan book for my days at home with the kids this year. I think it will help me to be more intentional. I thought I'd never be a scheduler, but I think I've changed my mind.

These kids will grow up soon and I know that time won't be as far away as it seems now. I've enjoyed kissing their little faces, wiping their little noses, and being the one that they call their "best friend" this week. I know these "lazy" days aren't lazy at all. I am working hard at my favorite job ever, being a mommy.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Amber I love reading your blogs. You just have a way of saying the things that I can't articulate very well. I love being a mommy and LOVE staying home with my kiddos!!

hollyfouts said...

What a sweet post! I don't think the life of a stay at home mom is boring at all. It may not always be exciting, it is not always easy, it doesn't have medical benefits or match your 401K, but it really is the BEST and one of the most important jobs. And the rewards are beyond measure. I love reading about the things you do with your kids. You are such a great mom!

Kristen OQ said...

You said it all perfectly!

leslie said...

Staying home with kids would be nice!

Jacinda said...

I love my job of being a stay-at-home mom and wouldn't trade it for much of anything right now! This is my life right now and I treasure it!