Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Top 11 Reasons I Love My Husband

Usually, people reserve a blog post of this nature for a birthday or an anniversary or some other special occasion. Since we're not guaranteed another anniversary or birthday together, and since the mood just struck me, I am going to write this post right now, just because.

When I was a girl, I used to pray every night for God to let me marry a strong Christian man. Looks like God answered my prayers, and He answered them better than I could've ever imagined!


These Are the Top Eleven Reasons I Love My Husband....

1) He is a leader. I am so proud of his leadership. He isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes is right. He doesn't feel the pressure to "go with the flow". He doesn't care about what other people think. I don't think he ever has. (This is good, because I care about it way too much!) He isn't afraid to be in a leadership position. He never tries to be in one. Leadership positions just always seem to find him. I also notice that other guys look to him for advice and leadership.

2) He doesn't care. Of course he cares about important things. What I mean is, that he doesn't care about the kinds of things that really aren't that important. I know lots of women whose husbands have many quirks, who have a preference about how the house is decorated, how their shirts are ironed, where they go to dinner, etc. etc. etc. Josh doesn't feel the need to control these things in our lives, and for that I am extremely grateful.

3)He is strong. I can be quite stubborn and willful. I have always been this way. Guess what? Josh is too, (maybe even more so at times)! God knew that the only way that I would possibly be able to respect my husband is if he was just as stubborn and willful as I was. If I would have married a follower, guess who'd be the leader in our family? That's right, I'm sorry to say that it would be me. Thankfully, God spared me from marrying someone who was weak, but led me straight to my perfect match, Josh.

4) He is a good friend. Josh would do anything for anyone, and at a moment's notice. He gives up his time for others. He is a servant to his friends. He deeply loves and cares about them and would do anything for them. If you are one of the guys blessed enough to have Josh as a friend, you are one lucky guy. It seems like if there ever is a need (someone who is moving, someone who needs a friend,someone who is sick, someone who needs help with their computer, etc.) Josh is there in a flash. Sometimes it gets on my nerves, because I'm thinking, "Why do you always have to be the one who helps everyone? Why can't someone else be their friend, mow their lawn, etc?", but deep down I am proud of him and know that God wouldn't have gifted him with this care for others if He hadn't meant for him to use it.

5) He is not, what I like to refer to as an "attention seeker". I cannot stress this one enough!! Back a hundred years ago when I was dating, there seemed to be so many of these guys that I call "attention seekers". The guy who, at my brother's wedding rehersal dinner, felt the need to grab the tiki torches that were staked into the grass, and then tried to spin them around like some sort of a circus performer, only to have the grass nearly catch fire. The guy who acted stupid and ditzy to get people to laugh (Think, Bill and Ted). The guy who was always performing childish stunts. The guy who was hyper, bouncy, and immature, like an adolescent with ADD. The world needs a few of these (very few). I am so glad that Josh is not an "attention seeker". I would never want to be married to someone like this. That would be annoying.

6) He knows his Bible. I love being married to someone I can ask about the Bible. Josh has a working knowledge of the Scriptures and how everything fits together. Often, I will come to him with a question about the Bible and he can usually answer it, if not, point me in the right direction. I love this about him!!!

7) He is a hottie. It seems like I've always heard that having an attractive spouse is not usually a woman's greatest need. I disagree. I think it is very important that you feel your spouse is attractive. I am sure glad I can walk around with a "trophy husband" on my arm. Is this prideful? Maybe so. I sure am proud of my hottie husband.

8)He is a good Daddy. He spends lots of time with the kids. They love him to death! (sometimes I think they love him more than me :( ) He loves them to death too and couldn't be prouder of his sweeties. He is a good disciplinarian, strong, but gentle and loving. There is this one old man at church that keeps coming up to Josh after church and making comments to him about what a good father he is, saying that he can tell that Josh is good at balancing being strict and loving. I couldn't agree more! He is a great father. He is much more patient with the kids than I am, too.

9) He eats whatever I cook. This may seem silly, but it was such an important thing for me. I told him even before we got married, that I didn't like pickiness. He is so nice to me, eating everything I fix for him, whether or not he likes it. He never makes rude comments about what I fix (even if my dinner was a flop). He eats nearly any vegetable, although he has told me that he will never ever ever like mushrooms, strawberries, or squash, no matter how I fix them. Anyway, he eats what I fix and doesn't complain. Ever.

10) He is a good listener. I love details! I love detailed stories, with lots of descriptions about people, places, facial expressions, who was there, what people talked about, etc. As a rule, I talk way too much! Thankfully, the Lord paired me up with an incredible listener. I can talk all I want around Josh. His ability to listen reminds me of a character from one of my favorite movies Anne of Green Gables, Matthew Cuthbert, who says, "You can talk all you want. I don't mind." This is Josh. The only time he really gets annoyed is when I interrupt.

11) He is stable. I am a person who is easily frustrated, easily stressed, easily worried, easily shaken. Josh is solid as a rock. He lets things roll off his back and helps me not to be such a worrywort. I know that if I had married someone who was as much of an emotional basketcase as I am, I would probably be in the insane asylum or have pulled all of my hair out or something. Josh keeps me grounded, brings me back to earth.

As I read back over all of this, it makes me think, "Whoa! I am a pretty awful person! I sure need help. Let's see, I am bossy, selfish, a loudmouth, controlling,emotionally unstable, impatient, and easily annoyed.... I could add to the list." Thankfully, I am married to someone who helps to make me a better person, someone who helps balance me out. God chose Josh just for me, to be my perfect helper.

10 comments:

hollyfouts said...

You got a good one!

Holly said...

Let no man separate what God has joined...Josh is very special! I remember our Freshman year at ACU, one of my good friends backed into his parked truck. Josh was very calm and it was no big deal. He just took it in stride and was very kind to my friend. However, she was just mortified and embarrassed that she had hit his brand new parked truck.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that God put you and Josh together too!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing for Josh to have a wife like you! You are truly cultivating your love for him and theat is so wonderful! What a blssing that God gave you to each other!

Anonymous said...

Great husbands are truly a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Great husbands are truly a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Amber,

God is pleased with the way you are obeying His leading in your life. You are pursuing wisdom and help in areas that He reveals to you weakness in. And, then you are applying what you learn in faith toward God. That brings Him much glory! Ephesians 5 reveals that our marriages are a picture of Christ and His Church. You are accurately portraying the truth of the Gospel by respecting, encouraging and being grateful for your husband. Thank you for your example.

Erica said...

You do have a good man, but behind every good man is a good woman. That is definitely the case with the two of you. You compliment each other so well...such giving hearts. I will never forget Josh coming to the funeral when Cary's Dad died. It meant more than the two of you know. It remains very special to both of us. Love you all!

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet post! I don't know your husband, but he sounds like a great guy and a great example to your kids and especially to your little boy!

Paula Smith said...

God blessed Josh with you as his wife, Amber.

Love, Paula