Sunday, December 03, 2006

Psalm of Praise

And Jesus said to them, "Yes; have you never read, Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babies You have prepared praise for Yourself?" Matthew 21:16


Every once and a while, I will hear Mary Alice's sweet little voice singing some made up song to God. I'm usually driving down the road or somewhere else and I think, "I wish I had a pen and paper to write some of this sweet stuff down." Well, this morning, I stayed home from church with her because she had a fever. We worshipped with Prestoncrest online and then went downstairs together. She started singing another one of her songs, which is a mixture of words from her imagination mixed with bits and pieces of other songs that she knows. The tune was not exceptional, but the words were beautiful! I slyly went and got a pen and paper and started jotting down the words as she sang them. Here is her psalm of praise:

I love you Lord, You are soooo good to me.
I am Yours and You are mine.
You work in my life and do riiiight.
When Satan is bad, you just get him away.
I will not listen, O Lord, I will close my ears and say no to Satan.
I will follow You instead, because I looove You.
Satan comes and tries to play tricks, but I would rather worship You, O Lord.
God, you are clothed with power and might.
I will love you for all of my days because God you are so good to me.
You are so powerful and I love You.
We are bad and You are good.
You forgive us and love us every day.
Sovereign Lord, You work all things to Your plan.
You take good care of us.
I praise You, O Lord and I love You.
We are Your children, we are Your children, and You are our God, O Lord.



Isn't this just how our praise should be? Humble, heartfelt praise to a righteous God, just like a child. I'm sure God was smiling at the words that went up to him this morning.

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, 'Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?'
"Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
"'Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea'" (Matthew 18:1-6).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO sweet! I am glad that you wrote that down, and I think you should take a lot of credit for raising Mary Alice to be the wonderful, God-loving little girl that she is!

Amy said...

Amber, that is one incredible hymn. That girl needs a harp and lyre for Christmas!!! If David was "a man after... ", then Mary Alice is "a girl after God's own heart". Thanks for sharing.

Also wanted to tell you that we decorated for Christmas tonight. I pulled out the Jesus birth calendar with the burlap squares and got excited all over again. What a wonderful tradition and I'm really grateful that you guys added that to Mia's future Christmas memories.

Love to your family.

Anonymous said...

That is just about the most precious thing I've read. I'm so glad you were able to write it down to preserve it! What a precious child of God!