Monday, January 22, 2007

"Jun-yo" and Brainwashing Fun

Story #1

Major has a little trouble saying his "r"s right now. Major had this funny conversation with my Dad last week,while trying to tell Dad about his favorite Veggie Tales character, "Junior".

Dad: "Which one is your favorite out of all of the Veggie Tales?"

Major: "Jun-yo."

Dad: (looking confused) "Jun-yo?"

Major: "No! Not Jun-yo! JUN-YO!"

Dad: "Jun-YO?"

Major: "No Poppa! Not jun-yo! Jun-yo!"

Dad: "JUN...YO?"

Major: (growing more and more frustrated with my dad) "NOT JUN-YO" "His name is JUN-YO!"

My Dad was completely baffled. He isn't an expert on Veggie Tales characters, but was sure he had never heard of a character called "Jun-yo". Finally, someone else walked in the room who could speak Major's language.

Person: "Junior." "He's talking about Junior Asparagus."

Dad: "Junior?"

Major: "Yes! Jun-yo!"


Story #2

When we talk with Mary Alice and Major, we often interject things with them about their future. (I am secretly hoping to plant ideas in their subconscious.) I guess you might call it brainwashing. I remember when I was a little girl, every time a beer commercial would come on, my Dad would say things like "Yuck! That's nasty stuff." I've never really had any problems with alcohol consumption and I'm convinced that my Dad saying "Yuck." each and every time a beer commercial came on has something to do with my disdain for alcoholic beverages. I don't have anything against those who drink. I just don't care for the taste, unnecessary calories, or addictive nature of alcohol. On with my story....

Since I now have my own kids, I am free to have my own "brainwashing" fun.

For example, We often talk to our kids about who they are going to marry, what is most important when choosing a spouse, etc. They might respond to our questioning with, "marry someone who loves God and Jesus with all of their heart", "a Christian" or something of the like.

Recently, I've been asking Major what he is going to be when he grows up. "A Daddy!" is his answer, but I love to dig deeper. (Questions are a perfect opportunity for brainwashing. :)

Me: "What are you going to do when you grow up and be a Daddy?"

Major: "Go to work at the office."

Me: "What else are you going to be?"

Major: "A GUY!" (said in gruffest voice) "Like DADDY!" (gruff low voice) "And do GUY THINGS!!!" (gruff voice)

Me: "What else are you going to be?"

Major: (pauses, looks puzzled) "A donut-eating Jesse!" (gruff silly voice)

Me: (laughing) "Are you going to be a Christian, Major?"

Major: "Yes, I'm going to be a Christian and follow Jesus and God."

Ok, so tonight Major was outside playing with Mary Alice. He wanted me to come out and play with him, but I was busy cooking dinner. He came inside and said the following:

Major: "Mom? Can you come outside and play with me?"

Me: "Not right now, Major. I have to cook dinner. Maybe later."

Major: "Maybe when I'm another year taller and you're shorter and I'm a Daddy and a Christian could you come play with me?"

(When he said that it reminded me of an old song...Cat's In The Cradle.... It made me realize that I am definitely going to go outside and play with him tomorrow, before I "get shorter, he gets taller and he's a Daddy and a Christian." Hopefully, we have a little while before any of those things comes to pass, especially, me getting shorter!)

5 comments:

Miranda said...

He is such a sweet little guy!

Katie said...

That's an adorable story! Seize the time you have with them! And keep the stories coming!

Anne said...

We are all about the brainwashing. We have Natalie convinced that everyone waits until they are 30 to get married, and only after a college degree. Wonder how long we will be able to keep that up?!

Happy day to you, friend!

Traci said...

Cute story on Major. Riley likes Junior asparagus, too

I learned the brainwashing from my Mom. It works wonders!

Unknown said...

Amber, I love your stories- you are a great writer! And the whole brainwashing thing is awesome- that's what parents are for! Your kiddos are precious and I love reading your updates.