Monday, January 08, 2007

So Much To Say

1. Major is doing much better now. This past week was horrid to say the least, but his disposition is starting to seem more like the sweet boy I once knew....for now.

2. If anyone has a chocolate fountain you'd like to bring over, we can have tons of fondue fun. I've been oh-so-excited about receiving the one I ordered from Willams Sonoma. It was supposed to be here by now. Unfortunately, the item has been backordered until the end of January! So I have 20 lbs of fondue chocolate, loads of bamboo skewers, and not a trace of my much anticipated chocolate fountain. Maybe I'll have it in time for Mary Alice's Valentine's party...

3. Today I had a rather embarrassing experience. To some it may seem tacky, but I think blogging about it may make me feel better. I went to visit the fun doctor today. There I was, in stirrups, when the doc's nurse walks in, with another man behind her. "Your husband is here." she calmly stated. The man walking into my exam room was none other than...... someone else's husband!! This embarrassed looking man quickly made a u-turn and headed out of the room. What!?! My doctor was very annoyed with this nurse for this little mishap and gave her a look. So what was the reason for this unfortunate barging in upon by a random stranger? Of course.... it was that I happen to have the same last name as the other patient, with a very similar sounding first name. This isn't the first time that my name has been the cause of identity confusion, just the first time that the results were so embarrassing!!!

4. Someone told me that China changed their rules for adoptive parents. I am usually a few weeks behind on what is in the news, so this may not be news to anyone else other than me. I went straight to the web to read all about it. Under these new rules, if you are obese (body-mass index of more than 40), have a physical disability, are on anti-depressants, or are single you cannot adopt. These are just a few of the regulations, which also include having at least a high school diploma and a net worth of $80,000. What do you think of these rules?Who knew that taking anti-depressants or being overweight might disqualify someone from receiving a child??? (Especially if they are basing these decisions on body-mass-index)

In college, I took the required general health class that the university offered. I will never forget how many super skinny girls were given the title of "obese" due to their body-mass-index score. I am and have always been fairly thin but was shocked to receive the title of normal, but "borderline overweight". I saw several girls who seemed very normal looking receive the title of "obese". No wonder a large number of girls in my freshman dorm struggled with eating disorders!

5. I got some new shoes!!! To many, this may seem not at all interesting, but to me it is a cause for great celebration, a highlight of my week, and well worth including on my blog. This is my blog, after all. (If you want to write about subjects of interest to you, perhaps you could start a blog of your own.) After many many months of wandering around in some sad looking gray tennis shoes, my feet finally have something to jump up and shout about. My tennis shoes will be making appearances on my feet now and then, but will no longer be the main attraction. I went to DSW shoe warehouse and outfitted my feet with three pairs of shoes. They were discount shoes, which makes them seem even better! My new foot ensemble includes sleek black heels, cute little black ballet flats and some brown semi-funky casual shoes, suitable for wearing with casual dress pants and jeans. Ahhhh! New shoes make all the difference. There is spring in my step once again.

6. I get to pick up food from the food coop tomorrow. Yet another reason to celebrate! I love the look, smell, and taste of super fresh produce. And Grumpy, organic really does make all the difference in the world! ;)

7. My Two New Years Resolutions: I'm going to make more friends and worry less, which means trusting God more. I'm thinking if I can make just two resolutions then they'll be easier to keep. We'll see...

8. I guess I'm finished with my random thoughts for the night. Sleep tight!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Your story about going to the "fun" doctor is awful - perhaps the most embarrassing I have ever heard. I am so sorry that that happened to you! I don't even know how I would react to that type of situation. It sounds like you handled it well, though!

The Chinese adoption laws are really crazy. It sounds like they went a little over the top.

Finally, I just wanted to say how cute the Christmas pictures on your last blog are! I admire you for being brave enough to ice skate. I would have been the one with soaking wet jeans!

Miranda said...

I love getting new shoes too! (Especially when they are such a deal)

Sarah B said...

I am horrified for you! And that poor man! What a day! It sounds like you really deserved shoes after that fiasco!
I am glad to hear you all had such a great Christmas! Your sweet children look as if they had a great time!
I would love to hear from you soon!
sarah.bigelow@yahoo.com
Sarah

hollyfouts said...

The doctor story made me laugh! I'm sure it was actually much more embarrassing for the man than you.

I love that you and Mary Alice are always having fun holiday parties. I think I might have to start doing that more with Avery....my excuse so far is that her B-day is so close to Christmas (and Valentines too for that matter!) But I guess you can never have too many parties!

jenny biz said...

So sorry to get a good laugh at your expense but of my word!! That is hilarious!!! Your chocolate founatin sounds like so much fun!!

Katie said...

oh wow... that dr story is too much! bless your...heart? geez louise!

I've loved reading the updates on the kids and christmas. It sounds like you had a really wonderful time!

Great resolutions too--i always do better when i lean on the Lord.

Anonymous said...

I was embarrassed just reading the fun doctor story... I'm sure that man was MORTIFIED!! Way to laugh it off!

Kristen OQ said...

I can maybe come close to topping your doctor story.

About 2 minutes (literally) before Sam was born (via stirrups & all), there was a little bit of chaos in the delivery room...we were waiting on an anthiesologist, more nurses, etc. (they couldn't get him to come out & were getting ready to take me for a c-section).

All that to say, this man comes into our room, with me almost naked, baring it all facing the doorway, because he walked into what he thought was HIS wife's delivery room. So in the middle of "Kristen you are going to have to push...", we were all (docs, nurses, Kevin, and me) doubled-over laughing at his face & shock at what he had walked in to! I still totally remember what the guy looked like and his expression. Kevin and I always joke that one day we are going to see him randomly at the mall or a restaurant and say, "you are THAT guy that has seen WAY too much of me!"

Enjoyed all your stories and glad you got some new shoes! Those always put a spring in my step too!

Nicole said...

Amber, thank you for sharing your embarassing story. Too funny! It made me think of my own dr's office and I'm really grateful that all the beds face away from the door!

Holly said...

You always make me laugh. You are such a great writer!

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading your blog, Amber! I cannot believe how much Mary Alice looks like you! It must be nice - both of my kids are clones of their daddy. :)

Barefeet Photography said...

Hey....I posted some new pictures. I think you will enjoy them.