Thursday, July 19, 2007

Boo Boos and Bloody Noses




UPDATE: Mary Alice is going under the knife today at 2:00. They are going to have to put her to sleep to remove this nasty pin. I'll type more later...


I think I've posted here before about our crazy adventures at the pediatrician's office. Today, we had another one of those days. It all started yesterday when Mary Alice came downstairs crying. She had been cleaning her room and had stepped on something. She claimed that it really hurt and that it felt like a spider had bitten her or something. It was bleeding, so I cleaned it off, polysporined it off, and put a band aid on, as I do with most boo boos. She cried more than usual, to which I replied, "Come on, girl. You're tough. It can't hurt that bad!" She stopped crying and went back upstairs to clean her room. A few hours later, she came downstairs with half a straight pin in hand saying, "Mom, I think this is what I stepped on." OUCH!! I felt pretty bad for acting like she should be "tough". I think I would cry if I'd stepped on a straight pin too!







This morning, she complained that her foot still hurt. She was walking with a slight limp. Her foot looked about the same as it had the day before, except for a darkened mark where the pin must have entered her foot. I called the doctor and asked if she could take a look at Mary Alice's foot. On the way to the doctor's office, Major started yelling loudly, clearly panicked. Mary Alice said, "Mom! Major's nose is bleeding all over the place!!!" I was driving down the highway at the time, unable to pull over.

Quickly I thought... "Mary Alice? Are there any napkins back there or anything, like a piece of material or a sock or something?"

"No mom. We're not wearing any socks."

While driving, I reached into the console to try to find anything that might be of use in stopping a bloody nose. Underneath dozens of CD's I found it! Deep in the bottom of the console, hidden beneath piles of CD's was a feminine product that I thought might work. I handed it to Mary Alice. She quickly unwrapped it and gave it to Major. He wrapped it around his face. It was hilarious!!! I wish I could have taken a picture. The product worked well, and just as the commercials promise, there were no leaks. Maybe it was the wings that did the trick? It was too funny!

Anyway, we got to the pediatrician's office. Of course, we didn't enter the building with Major's makeshift bloody nose stopper. When we went inside, Major told the doctor about how much he liked his "special Kleenex" because it was extra long and could wrap around his face so that the blood didn't get on his shirt!! Of course, I had to explain to her the situation. I guess I gave Dr. M yet another reason to think our family is weird.

On a side note: When driving down the road once with an unexpected vomiter, our quick thinking to grab a spare diaper saved our car from a nasty fate. So, if you ever find yourself in that situation, a diaper can prove to be quite useful.

Mary Alice saw the pediatrician. As you may have guessed, the doctor found that the other half of the pin was embedded in her foot. Dr. M came in, showed us the x-ray and told us that she was sending Mary Alice to a surgeon. At the mention of the word "surgeon", Mary Alice started to cry. We finally convinced her that it would all be okay. She is prepped and ready to be a "tough" girl at the surgeon's office. I'm taking her up there in a few minutes. Say a little prayer for us.

12 comments:

Miranda said...

I'm saying a prayer right now! My poor girl!

On another note, I'm also laughing histerically at the image of Major with a feminine product around his face. Best thing I've heard all day!

Unknown said...

You know how to make any smile!

Good luck Mary Alice!

Alisha Stewart said...

Ouch! She really is one tough girl.
I'll have to remember your napkin trick if we ever come across a similar situation.
By the way- I tagged you on my blog!

Hannah Ruthie said...

oh! Poor Mary Alice! What a tough girl! that's a sad story. I laughed out loud at Major's little nosebleeding trick and I'm in a room full of people writing a paper for a professor. hehe.

Anonymous said...

Poor girl! Let us know how she does.

Anonymous said...

I have to echo what Hannah said....I was laughing out loud at the bloody nose story.

Mary Alice, Torie and I are praying for you! Hang in there.

Phillips Family said...

Saying a prayer for Mary Alice!

The bloody nose story was hilarious!

By the way, I was in Searcy last week and your sister was my waitress at Colton's! She looks just like you and must have thought I was crazy when I said, "Are you Amber's sister?" I think it was her first day and she did a great job!

Melanie said...

You can do it Mary Alice!

Kim said...

Ouch, OUCH!!!

Poor Mary Alice! I will pray all goes well and she doesn't feel a thing!!

I do not handle these kids of things well...so I will pray for you, Amber,too!

The nose bleed story is funny!!! You are a creative one!

I had a friend when I was younger who was playing basketball(pee wee) and he went out on the court with 2 maxi pa*d*s on his knees for knee pads. The mom had no idea he had found those...I guess he thought, "hey, these will work"! Those things have a multitude of uses!

Kim

Amber Smith said...

Lynley-
I was WONDERING who that was!! Taylor told me that story and I had NO idea who she might have been talking about. How funny!

Anne said...

We are praying for you all here at the Jones' house!

And I just have to ask...where did you get their matching shirt and dress? I would love to be able to match the kids sometimes, but with one boy and one girl, it's hard to find stuff! So cute!

We love you guys and are praying!

Amber Smith said...

Anne-
I bought their clothes online from Hanna Andersson.