Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fall Fun







Today the weather outside is clear and crisp, just the way fall should be. I was so cold in my bed last night that I had to snuggle up next to Josh to stay warm. Our family ate our dinner of chili and cornbread in front of the fireplace the other night. I love it! The fall is finally here. Yesterday I finished putting up my fall decorations. I just couldn't bring myself to do it, when the weather still felt like summer.

The first two pictures on this post are of Mary Alice and Major's morning tradition of waving at their daddy as he leaves for work. They stand out on the fence and wave to him as he drives away. Quite often, Josh will peel out (insert loud screeching noise) just to make them laugh. It is funny, but I sometimes wonder if our neighbors think we have issues.

I have thought of blogging so many times, but have just been so busy! We've had people over for lunch almost every day this week. It has been a real blessing and something that we don't make time for often enough. Josh and I have been talking lately about having people over more often. This is something that I love to do, but nearly every weekend, we find some excuse as to why it is not a good weekend. It really is a shame. I remember when I was growing up, we had company over for lunch all the time, usually on Sunday morning after church. Why don't we do this anymore??? We do go "out" for lunch, but somehow, it isn't quite the same. Anyway, this is something that we've been wanting to do for some time now, so that we can build better relationships with our church family. We'll see how it goes.

I know I am probably boring my few readers with this by now, but I simply can't help it. I continue to listen to Nancy Leigh Demoss's podcasts when I work out. It continues to be such a tool of encouragement to me each day. This has been so beneficial to me. I strongly suggest this as a method of joyboosting and personal revival. Yesterday, I received three of her books in the mail, which I know are going to be incredible. I looked through them and really couldn't put them down last night and can't wait to dive into these amazing looking studies. I have Bible studies to keep me busy for a long time. This woman has such a talent for boldly speaking the truth. God has used her to convict me about many things! If you get the chance, listen to her program. You won't be sorry.

The kids and I have been enjoying school so much. Mary Alice continues to surprise me with her zeal for learning. It is so encouraging. She has been so much fun to teach. I hope she never loses this love for knowledge. For example, we have been learning about plants, flowers, and trees. Seriously, everywhere we go, she recites some fact about something that she read in her Science or History book. I love it! And another thing...Major has even been getting in on the action. He loves to sit and listen to me read to Mary Alice. He even knows some answers to questions that Mary Alice doesn't know. My little man continues to surprise me with how much he understands. I am ever thankful for the blessing of being able to be at home with my kids. They are growing and changing so fast. I can see it happening little by little.

We just finished up the study of Switzerland. Let me tell you... I learned so much. If you see Mary Alice, be sure to ask her to tell you about all things Swiss. Ok, this is funny.... We have a cookbook that tells us how to make all kinds of Swiss recipes. We bought some different foods. Mary Alice has been working on a little menu for her Swiss restaurant. She is calling it "Hedwig's". She made these little menus with Swiss flags on them that say "Hedwig's Swiss Restaurant". She wants to dress up like Hedwig (William Tell's wife). She wants Major to dress up like William Tell. When I asked her what I should come as, she suggested "Gessler", the mean bailiff who is eventually shot through the heart by William Tell. I think I'll just come as myself. I found a Swiss doll for Mary Alice at an estate sale that I visited a few weeks ago and gave it to her as we completed the study. One of these days when we aren't having company over for lunch, we'll open a Swiss restaurant in our home. I'll be sure to post a picture or two of our own Hedwig and William Tell.

I went on a Ladies' Retreat with our church a couple of weeks ago. I went with the express purpose of getting to know some of the ladies outside of my age group. I was pleasantly surprised. I met several older Christians as well as some singles. I had considered not going, for several reasons, but am glad that I decided to go. It was a blessing in many ways. I had the most fun playing a middle of the night game of Catchphrase with a group of ladies of all ages. It was without a doubt the most fun I've ever had playing a game in my life. I love to play games, so this is saying quite a bit. We played it the normal way at first. Then one of the singles suggested that we play it a different way. We had to play without showing our teeth. It was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. Of course, just about everything seems hilarious at 3 in the morning. :) All in all, it was wonderful. I made several friends, one of whom is coming over for lunch tomorrow.

I know that there is more that has happened in the past few weeks. I'll try to post again soon.

Here are some pictures from the fall festival that my kids went to at my parents' church last week. Recognize the costumes? Yes, they are leftovers from Mary Alice's Wizard of Oz's birthday party. There is a twist, though. My mom was doing the face painting. Major was turned into a Spider-Tin Man. I had to post these pictures of him shooting his webs. They reminded me so much of our friend sweet Benjamin Perkinson at the same age at Mary Alice's fourth birthday party. Too cute! I had to resist the urge not to turn the kids into something else, as I do so love costumes.. Oh well, I'll get my chance when the Swiss Restaurant is open for business.... Have a great week!
















5 comments:

Miranda said...

I think Josh might be a little big for the train ride.

Candice said...

So glad you are enjoying school. It is a blessing to watch their minds work in different ways.

Kim said...

We had chili just the other night,too! I'm glad that we have had some chilly days!

I'm glad you are enjoying Nancy Leigh Demoss! She is a wonderful godly women with a real heart for equipping other women to love God and their families. She has a new book coming out after the new year...Lies Young Women Believe! It is for older girls, teens, and young adults...my girls and I will be doing this book together for our afternoon bible study! We finished Girl Talk, so this one is next on the list.

I love the statement about what the neighbors think of Josh squealing the tires when he leaves! That made me laugh...: )

Melanie said...

MMMM, chili and cornbread sound so good!

Unknown said...

I think you have the most talented family ever! Your mom is a great face painter! I can't wait to see pictures of the Swiss restaurant!