Thursday, October 04, 2007

Mary Alice

I thought that a small group of people might like to know how our schooling is going. If not, sorry to bore you. :)

We have finally settled into a school routine that works for us here at the Smith house. If you read my posts a few months ago, you might remember how stressed I was about choosing "the right" curriculum. I had read many books and done lots of research and had finally settled on a mixture of curriculums that I thought might be the best fit for Mary Alice. It was silly for me to stress so much over this, I know. After all, she's only in Kindergarten, right?

We started off with a bang about a month ago. Almost immediately I knew that something wasn't right. Other than the Math curriculum, I felt like this new super-structured approach was actually a bit of a hindrance to the girl's learning process. It was like, just as she was becoming interested in something it was time to move on to the next subject. It was almost as if she would be learning more if we'd simply not purchased any textbooks and used the library only. I didn't decide to throw out the textbooks, but did have to make some alterations to some of the teachers manuals/textbooks that we were using. Much of the suggestions in the books were, quite frankly, a waste of time. Anyway, we've made a few switches, alterations, additions, and gotten rid of things that weren't working. Now that we did this, I think she will enjoy learning more, as I will enjoy teaching her much much more.

I am still covering all subjects and am sticking with somewhat of a structured approach (completing all subjects daily, etc.) but am now using more common sense. Now that we are rid of the time wasters and rigidity, we have time for more real learning. We are making a trip to the library tomorrow for more resources. I guess I should have known I would do this. I guess changing things up is something that I nearly always have to do.

Right now, the girl is studying basic addition facts through ten. I am in love with her Math curriculum! It is very thorough. We are bumbling through Phonics and Spelling. Lots the activities I consider to be the biggest time wasters. She does love English and is learning some things about sentence structure, etc. She seriously dislikes Handwriting, probably because it is the most difficult for her. She is learning about flowers and plants in science. We are about to begin a study on William Tell and Switzerland for History. This should be fun. I am learning so much!

Don't worry, my blog posts will not become novels about Mary Alice's school activities. This is just what we have going on right now. Figuring out what to do with Major has been a bit of a challenge. He wants to interrupt and begs me (or Mary Alice) to play with him at the most inopportune times! I try to read to him and let him have time with me a little bit, but he has really had quite a rude awakening now that school is in session. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with Major during school?

The saddest thing happened to me last night at church. Actually, it didn't happen to me, it happened to Mary Alice. It might as well have happened to me. It hurt my heart so badly that I wanted to cry. I witnessed Mary Alice being totally rejected by two little girls. They were being ugly to her, ignoring her completely. I stood by and watched her run after them, trying so hard to be their friend. It was absolutely pitiful. I know that this one incident is really not that big of a deal. I guess the reason it hurt me so badly is that I knew it has already started. By "it" I am referring to the incredible meanness that seems to come over young girls. I, myself, was a mean girl at times in elementary school. I am so ashamed of how I treated some girls back in those days! I certainly did not act as Jesus would've acted during this time in my childhood. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the girls who were ugly to Mary Alice are mean girls. These girls are sweet girls and will undoubtedly be the best of friends with Mary Alice next week. It was just that I caught a glimpse of a pain that I can hardly bear. Most parents have to watch their child be rejected by their peers at least once. It is absolutely the worst! I talked to my mother about it and we discussed how hard it can be to see your child being rejected and how part of you wants to do anything that you can to make sure that your child doesn't have to feel that pain. We are going to have to make some hard decisions over the next few years. I really hope that we can instill enough confidence in her so that she will not be too badly affected by the rejection that she will undoubtedly face. I pray that she can remember whose she is and not take part in being a mean girl, although I know that she probably will take part in this ugly behavior at some point. Hard stuff.

It seems like the hard stuff is getting your child to sleep through the night when they are babies. When they are toddlers, it gets just a little bit harder as you start worrying about what foods they eat, keeping them out of danger, and potty training. I cried last night because I watched my sweet precious baby get hurt, but really it was because I saw that a new phase of parenting is beginning, and I can see it being even harder than before.

9 comments:

Jacinda said...

Oh, I hate, hate, hate watching Gracie be hurt. (Katie's only 3 so it hasn't started much for her!) Truthfully though, usually it bothers me A TON more than it bothers her!

Thankfully, we haven't had to experience too much of it. There was a time she went to a VBS (summer before she went to K). A lady Chris works with had invited her. She had a son near Gracie's age so I'd built it up like they were going to be friends. I watched him & a friend refuse to scoot over for her to sit with them. She told me later that he had told her he didn't want to be her friend or something like that. It took EVERYTHING in me not to go inside & confront him and tell his parents. Gracie however could hardly wait to go back to the VBS the next day! I was really proud of her for being okay and just not really caring. She was having fun at VBS!

She has had a couple of hurt feeling episodes but not many....that I've heard of anyway! I'm so happy that she has definitely inherited her daddy's gene of being more laid back about that kind of stuff. Me???? Things like that bother me much more.

((Hugs)) for Mary Alice-and you! I hope things are better soon!

Miranda said...

Being a girl must be harder than being a boy! It hurts me to read that they were ignoring her, but you are right, they will probably be best friends next week. I would have cried just like you did (in fact I almost did just now!).

Mary Alice is such a sweetheart, though. She is such a likeable girl, that I know she will have many friends throughout childhood.

See you tonight!

Love, Miran

hollyfouts said...

I love hearing about what you are doing with MA. I can't imagine trying to have school time with Miller here.....so I have no suggestions for little Major. Good Luck!
And girls can be SO mean. I have already seen Avery do some not-so-nice things to other girls (nothing major), and she has been the one left behind before too. So hard. I agree that parenting will be taking a new direction as these girls grow. Mean girls are part of life. Even we grown up girls can be mean spirited sometimes. You are such a great mom. I'm sure you will give her all of the tools that she will need to deal with these situations for the rest of her life.

Erica said...

You pulled at my heartstrings with this post. From the moment we found out Kaylee was a girl on to the birth of Campbell I have really been preying for their hearts as well as all the girlfriends that they come in contact with. I remember from experience and from teaching how caddy little girls can be at times. It breaks my heart to think that either one of my girls will be left out some day but I know that it will happen. We will be praying for you both as this new not-so-fun phase starts.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Sweet Mary Alice. I know that all of us with daughters understand this struggle so well. Kendyll, too, has had similar experiences and it breaks my heart. It is honestly one of those things where I have no idea how exactly to handle it!! I tell her how important it is to be a good friend to others so she never makes someone else feel that way, but how do you help that hurt THEY feel when those things happen?! It's a tough one. And, we all know it's only getting worse. Very hard.

I love hearing more about Mary Alice's school days. I'm glad to know that you've figured out some things that work and don't work. I'll have to get your wisdom someday soon. :) One suggestion I had from a good friend at church was a book called "Five In a Row", which you've probably already heard of. It is literally all Kendyll and I do on our school day, and I love it. An entire curriculum (vocabulary, spelling, art, history, science, math, cooking, etc.) is based on a single book that you read five days in a row. They have a website and a message board that is so helpful too... http://www.fiarhq.com/. I've also been able to incorporate Carlie on these lessons, because she still enjoys the book and some of the basic activities that go along with it. Anyway, sorry for the novel. :) I hope the year continues to be a great one!

Alisha Stewart said...

That's so sad. Those girls will quickly change their tune when they realize what they are missing out on when they don't include Mary Alice.
I am concerned for Landon too, but mostly because he is so shy around other kids. This morning we went to church in Cleburne and two little girls were running around playing tag. Landon asked me if he could play and ended up standing and watching because he was too afraid to join in. By the time he got up the nerve to join, the girls parents came and they were headed out the door. They never even noticed Landon. It was such an awkward situation, even to watch. The girls weren't mean, but it still broke my heart for Landon that his timid spirit hindered him from social interaction. I am praying that Landon will not be so shy around others, but I'm afraid that homeschooling may not help him in that department.
Thanks for sharing your homeschooling experiences. I'm so glad that you are paving the way so I can steal all of your wonderful ideas later.
Alisha

Jennifer said...

I went to school with Josh and met you at the reunion. I saw a book you might be interested in, unless you've already read it. It's called "So You're Thinking About Homeschooling," by Lisa Whelchel. I'm sure the library has it, or you can also check it out at her website www.lisawhelchel.com. She was Blaire on the facts of life. She has other great books and bible studies for moms that were recommended to me through friends. Have a great day!

Jennifer said...

Sorry forgot to mention that book said 15 families and 15 styles. Not just her approach to it. Maybe someone has a suggestion for dealing with siblings and how to include them or helpful ideas for what to have them do. Hope it helps.

Melanie said...

This makes me so sad. I've really laid it on Ashlyn's heart about how each day she needs to pray for her to treat people with love and kindness. It breaks my heart to see her heart by insensitivity in others. I could go on and on. But she's a brave thing and will look for a new friend for the day!