Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Name Game and MORE Maternity Pics

My sister, Taylor, just took another bunch of maternity pictures, along with some fun pics of our family of four. I think she did a beautiful job. My favorites are the ones with Josh in them. (Tip: Adding a hottie to a photo shoot always helps pictures to turn out well. :)





























We still haven't come up with any names for our precious girl who is due in several weeks. I'm not too worried about it. We will come up with something....eventually. I think we may have narrowed the search a little bit. I have been calling this girl a certain name in my head for months now, but am waiting on Josh to make a decision on the matter. He is still looking...

In the mean time, the kids have been enjoying playing the name game. They have PLENTY of ideas to contribute. None of their ideas thus far will be used, but I am glad to see that their little minds are thinking...and being creative.

Here are a few that Mary Alice suggested:

*Violet Jessica (She has been stuck on this one for a while...)

*Amanda

*Dinah

*Eve

*Marilla (We've been reading Anne of Green Gables.)

*Agatha (a friend of Samantha from the American Girl books...She just loves this name!)

*Jessie (from The Boxcar Children)

*Antoinette

*Laura

*Lily (from Lily's Purple Plastic Purse)

*Diana

*Maria

And a few from Major:

*Boogley Googley Woogley

*Spiderman,Superman, or Batman (He informed me later that he doesn't really like these names, but was just playing a little joke.)

*Elizabeth (very pretty, but too much of a mouthful with Smith...Also happens to be the name of the stuffed pet elephant that he sleeps with every night. :)

*Emily (pretty, but too common for use with our last name)

*Ellie (a friend from church)

The names that the kids come up with remind me of when I was little. My brother was intrigued by the name "Ralph" and wanted to use it for one of my brothers or sisters. He had been reading that Beverly Cleary book about Ralph Mouse at that time. I am quite sure that all of my siblings are grateful that mom and dad decided to disregard his suggestion.

We continue to search through piles of name books in search for that perfect name. We have narrowed our search down a little bit at least with a few rules. No names beginning with the letters D, G, K, O, Q, U, V, W, X, Y, or Z. Nothing too common, as it can be troublesome with a last name like Smith. I love lots of "common" names (John and Jane), but those can't be used. Also... no names that end with a "s" sound or a "th" sound. One final guideline... no name that sounds like some kind of joke. I can always count on Josh to come up with a tacky nickname that someone might use. I am thankful that he thinks of things like that, because sometimes that type of thing doesn't occur to me. That is as far as we've come on the name game. Any suggestions?

15 comments:

Miranda said...

I love all of the pictures and can't wait for Taylor to take ours! Good luck with the name game...you'll come up with something great!

Anonymous said...

It was me...I would have been 'Ralph.' Oh how glad I am that I got the name Hannah instead. Mary Alice has better taste in names than when I was her age. When I was 8 or 9, I wrote a book and the main character's name was Soccer and his little brother was named Spyro. I just thought those names were so cool.

:) Hannah

Elaine said...

I have no great suggestions on names, but thought I'd suggest not using a name starting with B b/c you don't want the initials BS (at least I wouldn't). I don't know why we always think about initials in our family, but we do. Weird.

The word I have to type in below to leave this comment is "Rershede." There's an unusual name for you!

Amy L. Jackson said...

Love the pics, Amber. They are beautiful! Maybe you could bring your favorite framed for us to display at your shower. Would you mind?

Love, Amy

Anonymous said...

are you wanting to stick with the M thing?

Molly
Mallory
Melody
McKenzie
Madden
Megann
McRae
McCarten

Hope this helps!
JO

Anonymous said...

Your dad's older brother Dennis wanted to name him Treebranch. Last time I heard, that name wasn't taken--but do you think it sounds okay with Smith?
hehe

Mom

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of sticking with M. There is also:

Madison
Madigan (different twist)
Meredith
Melody
Mercedes

Anonymous said...

Tessa is a good name. :) Okay... kidding, but I wanted to say that I love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

A name I liked a lot when I had Avery was Millie. (Could be short for Millicent or Camille) I don't think Lane like it at the time, and then we ended up with a Miller. Can't wait to hear what you all pick.

Anonymous said...

Tell Major that Spiderman, Superman and Batman are PET names.

We have a Batman (cat) and a Robin (dog) :)

Poor little Major. I fear that he will never know the joy of pet ownership, nor pet naming :(

The pics are fabulous! You have beautiful children and a very talented Sis.

Kim said...

LOVE ALL of these pictures!!! You look gorgeous!!!

M names:

Molly Kate (Molly Katherine)

Margaret Elizabeth (this has always been a favorite of ours)

Mimi (Mei Mei in Chinese means little sister) (maybe short for something?)

Martha

Madeline

I also like Ella, Esther, and Anna a lot.

Of course we like Biblical names like Grace, Lydia, Abigail, Eve(all of our girls names)...

And one of my all time favorites is Louisa....if we happen to get referred twins from China they will be Lydia and Louisa...so cute!

I love being pregnant and thinking of names...those are some of Mike and I's sweetest conversations!

Enjoy this wonderful time!

Erica said...

The pictures are great! I remember the whole name game, it was easier with Kaylee than with Campbell to decide on a name. Good luck I am sure something fabulous will come to you soon. Congratulations on another precious little girl joining your family. Blessings.

Joni said...

The pictures are amazing!!! You all look awesome!

I love the name Emma, Mia, and of course what prettier name is there then Joni:)

Anonymous said...

I am a reader of your blog through tamara's link on her blog. I have followed some of your journey to get where you are in this pregnancy and was so excited for you. The pictures are beautiful.

But I have to ask a wierd question.... Do you go attend TAFA in Fort Worth? My children and I go and there was someone with your looks and your children there if it was not you....HA HA Nothing like being recognized by a stranger through a blog. If this was not you, please forgive me! But I had to ask. I am a friend of Tamaras through Believers Chapel in Dallas.

Blessings to you, Cynthia Berman

Rhonda Parker said...

Since you have a Mary Alice and a Major, I would stick with an "M" name... how about
Miranda, Miriam, Molly, Martina, Melissa, Madeleine, Marissa, Margaret, Mariah, Marla, Maybelle, Melinda, or Misti?

I love your photos!