Thursday, November 13, 2008

Belated Pics of My Halloween Buddies...

OF THE GIRL...















OF THE GUY...














BOTH OF MY BUDDIES...







AREN'T THEY PRECIOUS???

Today I am 34 weeks pregnant. I feel as big as a barn, but am starting to wonder if this feeling is something that I came by on my own, or if I have been strongly influenced by the unsolicited remarks of others. I have never received comments such as the ones I've been hearing over the last week before. I don't know quite what to think. Am I that much bigger than I was with Mary Alice and Major? Come to think of it, perhaps I am feeling miserable? Maybe? Everyone else seems to think I look it. I am not bitter about these remarks, just astonished at how freely some can offer their opinions about the state of my body. All of this is good news, though, that things are moving along just as they should be. I am so blessed to be carrying this special little girl and don't care if I get to be as big as a whale, just as long as she is growing right along with me.

Here are a few remarks that I've heard in the last couple of weeks, for your entertainment:

1)(said to me upon leaving my mom's hospital room last week by an interested passer by...)

Man: "Girl! When you due?"
Me: "Christmas day."
Man: "You BIG!"
Me: "Thank you. That is always something a pregnant gal wants to hear."
Man: (laughing) "Oh. Er... That isn't exactly what I meant...Er..."

2)(said to me by a sweet woman that I see every week when Mary Alice goes to her music and ballet lessons)

Woman: "WOW! You're really getting close!"
Me: "I'm not due for another month and a half...December 25th.)
Woman: "I guess you have a while."
Me: "Yes."
Woman: "Don't take this the wrong way. You look great. You look thin all over, but I can just tell a HUGE difference in how big you are from last week to this week."
Me: "Really? Oh."

3)(said by the checkout lady at the grocery store)

Cashier: "When are you due, honey?"
Me: "Christmas day."
Cashier with mouth wide open: "REally? Well I can tell you one thing. You aren't gonna make it that long."
Me: no reply

4)(My favorite type of remark...completely untrue, but sweet, nonetheless... I hear it every once and a while. This is the way to talk to a pregnant woman if you want to make her feel good instead of like an astonishing spectacle.)

Woman: (smiling and looking me over) "You look absolutely beautiful!"
Me: "Thank you."

To help mark this very special occasion of being 34 weeks pregnant, I am posting a few of my favorite pictures of the kids in their Halloween costumes, taken by my sister, Taylor. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. These are some of my favorite costumes that the kids have worn in all their years of Halloween fun. In case you can't tell, they are dressed as Marie Antoinette and Pharaoh. These costumes are patterned after some that the kids saw in a catalog back in August. We were able to fashion Mary Alice's costume using a recycled flower girl dress. Major's headpiece was initially a disaster that looked more like The Flying Nun. I couldn't get the top to look quite right, no matter what I did. With a little help from my mother, the hat shaped up quite nicely, so to speak. Have a great day! I'll end with a tip: If you should see a large pregnant woman waddling by and feel inclined to make a remark, simply say, "You look beautiful!"

12 comments:

Lori said...

okay, long time reader, first time commenter. First you do look stunning and second, fantastic job on those costumes, very impressed!

Unknown said...

So unbelievably impressed with the kids costumes! Best I have EVER seen! I know exactly what you mean about people making comments, what else do the expect we are growing a life inside of us, we should be growing ourselves! I know you are beautiful and hope you are getting through everything. Prayers were sent up for you and your mom. Hope they are helping.

Jennifer said...

Very good job on the costumes. I wanted to comment, because I'm 24 weeks pregnant, and people do that to me all the time. The other day, my boss said, "You know, you're not supposed to gain all your weight at once." I told her, "I've only gained 5 pounds." Apparently, on my 5 foot 2 inch frame, that looks like a lot to her. You are much smaller than I am, and I am not due til March! Good luck.

Miranda said...

Oh gracious...I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone told me, "Girl, there's no WAY you will make it to your due date!" But, you are right...it's all totally worth it!

Anonymous said...

They are adorable! I'm changing the background to my computer. I think you're beautiful. :)
Hannah

Hannah said...

I actually have a blog that I'm going to attempt to keep up with now. :)

Joni said...

WHAT??!!! Those costumes rock!!! And p.s. you look beautiful:)

hollyfouts said...

Anytime I went out with Lane and someone would ask me when I was due, he would always give them a funny look and tell them that I wasn't pregnant. Then they would start going, "uh, uh, uh...." and Lane would say something like, "Just kidding. She's due next week."

So next time someone tells you how huge you are, just tell them that you aren't pregnant. That'll get them back for making rude comments! Enjoy these last few weeks!

Nicole said...

So many people asked me if I was carrying twins, or if I was sure that I was having a girl b/c it looked like I had a big ol' boy in my tummy!

I also remember being pregnant with Emma and Josh told me "I now understand why they say that pregnant women waddle." Apparently, I waddled. :-)

Traci said...

I loved seeing your kids in their costumes. You always have the best costumes around!

You look beautiful, Amber!!

Melanie said...

Love the costumes! Beautiful job. I can tell they were so excited.

Alisha Stewart said...

Great pictures. I absolutely looove the first one of Mary Alice with the color edit. You have to frame that one. So cute!