Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Thoughts on Halloween

Halloween is my FAVORITE holiday. This is for several reasons...

1)Halloween doesn't involve traveling, unless you count the trip around the block. The only packing and unpacking is the packing of your trick or treat bag and unpacking of the candy that fills it! (FUN!)

2)There is no stress involved, unless, that is, you don't finish making the kids' costumes until the night before, but WHO would be that much of a procrastinator? :)

3)It involves dressing up and being creative. I LOVE a good costume effort.

4) Also to be considered are the abundance of delicious treats like caramel apples and snack size candy bars. Who WOULDN'T love this beautiful holiday? Not I.

As a bonus to this year's festivities, we were able to spend the weekend with my brother, Adam, his lovely wife Alisha, and their three buddy boys. The weather was spectacular this Halloween, which made for a delightful night of trick-or-treating and church festival celebrating. Josh and I even fulfilled Mary Alice's yearly request for us to "PLEASE PLEASE dress up!"

Grumpy and Nonnie (Josh's parents) were able to come down and go trick-or-treating with us too. It was wonderful to have them along to join in the excitement of my favorite holiday. I was a bit surprised that Grumpy didn't come with blue hair. He's done it before. Oh well... Maybe next year?


The first pic of Halloween evening... (Notice that Major has his blanket in hand while trying to play the part of a spooky skeleton.)


My brother, Adam, and his wife went as Burger King and Queen. This is one of the funniest Halloween costumes I've seen. People kept staring at him at our church festival, wondering who the masked man was. A few people assumed that it was Josh, until they saw Josh in his costume. Adam heard quite a few lame jokes about burgers along with each jokester laughing at his comedic effort for telling such a funny joke. I should also add how VERY hard it was to take Adam seriously while he was wearing this thing. Hilarious!


The kids and their cousins ready for trick-or-treating...



Josh and I grabbed a few things and some discounted wigs and created these costumed characters.

More trick-or-treating...



Both of our families...


Adam and the kids on the train at our church festival...


Our Mary Alice girl...Isn't she pretty?


Josh and our Milla


Here are a few pics that my sister, Taylor, took before we went trick-or-treating.

Mary Alice as "Medusa" (After studying a little Greek Mythology last year and seeing a similar costume in a catalog a few months ago, Mary Alice knew that this was what she wanted to be...) Snakes,glitter,and tulle...an unlikely combination...


Major as a skeleton... His cousins really wanted him to be a Musketeer with them, but Major was set on this silly skeleton costume. Whatever.


Milla the hula girl





Cousins in costume (The Three Musketeers) Aren't they precious?


Hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween! The year is flying by! Next up, Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's my fave holiday, too. I get all kinds of looks when I say that. You dress up, eat candy,and you have fun. Plus, we need positive people to be a light out there. :)

Hannah said...

So much fun! I'm so stressed about tests, and then I see pictures of Mary Alice, Major, Landon, Jonah, Milla, and Graham, and it makes it all better. :)

Not to mention my sweet brothers and sisters. :)

MereMoore said...

the kids looked AWESOME-did you do their faces?? wow to whoever did them!
so creative and milla-oh my word-ADORABLE!

Miranda said...

I'm impressed that you ALL dressed up! Everyone looks great!

Amber Smith said...

Meredith-
My mom painted their faces. Isn't she great? Thanks! I loved your little sock monkeys too!