Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Blessings

Today, when Mary Alice woke up from her nap, she called for me to come into her room. I came in and laid down next to her in her bed. We wrapped our arms around each other and hugged for a minute or so.

She told me, "I always wanted a mom just like you and I got one!" This, along with one of those big hugs from her made my day. I hope she always feels this way about her mom.

Yesterday, I went to the kids' Easter stash and offered a piece of chocolate to Major. He got a huge smile on his face. He held the chocolate in one hand while we walked up the stairs. "You're so pretty, mom." he said. If I can get this kind of a reaction, I'll give him candy any time!!!

I was having a bad day today. Too many days cooped up in the house with sickies makes me feel kindof down. I decided to take the kids for a treat. I took them to Starbucks. Both kids got Vanilla Cremes. It was quite hilarious to see Major's face covered with whipped cream as he gulped down his treat. We played tic-tac-toe and had some fun time out of the house. Getting out always makes me feel better, especially if it involves a trip to Starbucks.

Mary Alice has been obsessed with babies lately. She keeps saying things like, "If God decides to give me a little sister, can I feed her?" or "If God decides to give me a little sister, can we share a room and play together?" She also says that she doesn't really need another baby brother. It is one of the things that cannot go unprayed for at night before she goes to bed. We have to pray two things: 1) that she will have good dreams and not bad dreams, 2) that God will give her another baby sister or brother soon. We talk alot about how God has a plan and how He knows what is best for us, whether it be a brother, sister, or other blessings. How wonderful to have the faith of a child!

4 comments:

mcjacobsjournal said...

Those prayers of our children are so sweet! And, so heartfelt. :) Kendyll also prays for a baby...but she wants a baby brother AND sister at the same time. So, we had the same talk about how God decides, not us, what our family needs.

And, I agree, two of my favorite things are post-nap hugs in bed and trips to Starbucks! It makes a bad day great!!

hollyfouts said...

I'll take a "You're so pretty,mom" any day....even if it is prompted by a little chocolate bribe! I still picture Major as a 1 yr old. I would love to see how much he has changed.

Carolyn said...

What sweet children! This post really brightened my day, Amber.

Kristen OQ said...

Sweet kids with sweet (and true) compliments for their mommy -- it just doesn't get any better than that!

Hope you guys are feeling better.