Sunday, April 30, 2006

Weekend Recap

The past few days have been great! On Thursday, we made the trek to Frisco, where we stayed with Josh's parents for a couple of days. On Friday morning, we went to see some old friends, Julie, Jenni, and Tamra. Last year, when we lived closer, my kids were part of a mini-preschool at my friend, Julie's house. Four of us moms who all had kids about the same age used to meet at Julie's house each Friday. Julie introduced the rest of us to a fabulous children's curriculum that we used in teaching the kiddoes. The purpose of this "preschool" was not to teach ABC's, colors, shapes, or things normally taught at a traditional preschool. The purpose was to teach our children about God and to make sure that they learned how to interact well with other children. Initially, Julie purchased the curriculum to teach her daughter and invited us to bring our children to be taught by her each Friday. We felt like she might need a little extra help teaching all of those kids and offered to help out. I was very excited to participate in Julie's little venture, but honestly, did not realize exactly what I was getting myself into. Those Fridays turned out to be the highlight of our week last year and a gift from God. It was such a blessing that Mary Alice was able to be taught so much about God and to be given the opportunity to socialize with such sweet children.

I know I was blessed to be a part of something so special. I learned so much from this unique group of moms. They go to a church that actually challenges young children to memorize Scripture! I'm not talking about John 3:16 and I'm not talking about shortened forms of Scripture, either. The church that these women go to realizes the importance of children (and adults) memorizing Scripture. The kids all have these little cards with memory verses on them and picture cues. They are challenged to learn around 80 verses, all while they are still in preschool!! It is amazing what young children are capable of! They can learn so much at such an early age, so why not make the most of the opportunity and help them to hide God's word in their hearts?? The example of these girls has really taught me to challenge my kids more. These women value their God given roles and are always striving toward self-improvement. It is really very encouraging to be around people like this. I have learned so much about HOW to teach God's word. I have learned so much about worship. I have learned so much about God. My mother has always told me that you really learn the most about the Bible when you teach. The biggest blessing in all of this "preschool" business is that the one who has probably learned the most has been me. I really really really wish that Mary Alice (and now Major) were still able to be a part of this special "preschool". It is sad that they have to miss out. We did enjoy going back for a visit, though. It is always good to see old friends.

Friday night, I went to McKinney to visit my friend Jessica and her new adopted daughter, Sarah. It is such an amazing story. She and her husband were given this precious little girl last week. They found out about her and picked her up all on the same day. Her single mother was unable to care for her, so she chose to give her up. What a blessing that she is now with Jessica and her husband now! She is a beautiful little six month old girl. I got the pleasure of holding Sarah for alot of the night. She liked me alot, so of course I LOVED to hold her. So neat!

On Saturday, we went up to Plano to a really awesome Tea Room. My friend Tamra talks all about it and posts some pictures on her blog. Sadly, I forgot to bring my camera. We had a great time! It was a Mommy and Me tea. Mary Alice was having the best ole time, drinking pink lady punch like it was going out of style. When we left, I asked her how many glasses of tea she had. She said ten. TEN?!? Maybe that was why she was so crazy for the rest of the day?

Josh is pretty busy getting things ready for his practice to open. It was a good thing that we were gone for a few days. I think he was able to get lots of work done. Well, I guess that is it for the last few days! Good night.

7 comments:

Erica said...

I love Into My Garden Tea Room!!! I use to eat there all the time when we were in Sachse. It was a regular treat for Steph F., Steph O., Traci, and me. The little shops in there are great too!! Kaylee adopted a baby doll at their newborn nursery when Campbell was born. They let her pick the doll out, put Kaylee in a hospital gown, and took a picture of her with the baby in the rocker. It even came with a birth certificate, hospital band, and pacifier. Kaylee loves that doll. Of course, New Addition is down the street where I shopped for the girls so much they new me by name. I miss downtown old Plano. Glad you had a fun time! I will have to try the Mother/Daughter tea sometime.

mcjacobsjournal said...

What a great weekend! I know you treasured the times with those sweet friends of yours. And, it sounds like Mary Alice did too! I am very interested in this curriculum you talked about. I will have to check it out!! Thanks for always sharing so much from your "mother's heart". You are such a great mommy. We love hearing about you and your kids and the things you do with them and it inspires me to be better at all of it!

jenny biz said...

You are such a Godly mommy!! I know God is so proud of you and the seeds you are planting in your children!!

Tony Kummer said...

The Children's Desiring God material is the absolute best. I have Sunday school teachers really seeing God for the first time. Have you seen the Nursery materials they have. We just kicked it off at our church and it is going great. Keep up the good work.

Amber Smith said...

Tony-
Yes, I have! I was fortunate to be able to attend the Children Desiring God conference in Minnesota last April. I was able to learn all about this wonderful curriculum. It really made me realize what good curriculum actually is! Before I went to the conference, I had no idea. I could have gone into GREAT detail about the curriculum, but didn't want to bore people, so I listed the link instead, so they could read about it for themselves. I'll agree with you, the nursery curriculum is fabulous. I'm a big believer in utilizing every moment in Bible class. The nursery curriculum does just that.

Hannah Ruthie said...

Mary Alice and I are going to have a girls day today. She was cute at auditions!

Anonymous said...

dear mom,i want you to come here right now! i love you!please mom! i miss you!
love, mary alice