Monday, April 24, 2006

Oh.... Grow up!

I just wanted to write down what I am feeling right now as a record. I would like to get one of those blogbooks that I read about on someone else's blog. I want to have one of these to keep as a memento to remind me of what was going on in my life at this exact moment in time. I am hoping that I can look back and smile, and thank God for just how much I've grown.

Last night, I poured my heart out to a friend on the phone. It seems that I have been doing alot of that lately. If you should dare to ask me right now, I won't only tell you what is going on with me, I might just scare you away with all of the details that you never ever wanted to know plus a few more unnecessary facts just to make you think that I am a nutcase! Really. I don't want to scare anyone reading this. I should make it clear that things with me aren't that bad. In fact, they are looking up. I am just having a few issues with understanding God's will and am looking for clear direction. I am to the point, though, that I have prayed and prayed about a certain situation and am desperately looking for an answer to that prayer. I am now at a place where I am sortof trying to force answers to that prayer. I do this by telling people everything that is going on and then explaining my dilemma. Secretly, I am hoping that they will tell me that they have seen a vision, and that God has told them exactly what I should do. I know that I need to learn some patience and learn to wait on God for His answer. I know that I need to stop worrying. I really do hate waiting, though. This is your fair warning, don't call to chat with me. You just might get more than you bargained for!

I didn't intend to type so much about that. Back to the phone conversation... This woman, whom I consider to be very wise, made the mistake of e-mailing me and wanted a reply. I called this woman, poured out most of my life story, and then solicited advice. She gave some advice that I thought was very good. It was not the advice that I found as helpful, though, as the example of the woman herself. This woman shared some of her life experiences with me (which were very much like the things that I have been going through). She shared how she got through the same little hurdle that I have been trying to get through. We talked for a while about this and that. One of the things that she talked about was how she had recently been diagnosed with cancer and "didn't lose a wink of sleep over it", knowing that God would take care of her.

This was so good to hear! A woman, whom I consider very wise and godly, used to be like me. She struggled with the same problems that I struggle with. Now, after several more decades have been added to her life, she has come to a place where she can not lose a wink of sleep when diagnosed with cancer. Her trust in God is evident. She is content in every circumstance. She is at peace. This gives me so much hope!! I was just so encouraged by the GROWTH that has taken place in her Christian walk. It is so neat to think that I don't always have to be this yucky person that I am, that God can shape me into something better. Hopefully, when I am the age of this woman, I will be able to look back at the young me and laugh at how foolish I was.

I already look back and laugh when thinking about past years of my life. Mary Alice and I watched Josh and my wedding video last week. It was quite humorous to watch Josh and I on our wedding day. We were such idiots! We were barely out of high school and had to be coached through such things as how to cut the cake and how to hold a champagne glass. We were HURT! I was hurt. Aside from the social etiquette that we so obviously lacked, though, we had a lot to learn about life. We still do. God just uses all of these little moments of life to teach us something about Him, to grow our faith. Won't it be great one day when we can be "all grown up"?

4 comments:

Erica said...

I am sorry you are going through such a hard time right now. It always seems harder when we are in the depths of a trial. Just remember the Lord is on your side and you are HIS child. He will protect and comfort you if you just lean on him. This of course is easier said than done. I am typing this for me too. You have always been someone whom I know has a strong relationship with the Lord. He will never fail you. There were many times that we were together when I learned so much from your insight into the Lord. You always gave me a different perspective to look at. I am praying that things get easier for you and that you feel the Lord wrap HIS arms around you in comfort today. Also that we all "grow up" quickly and be in the place your sweet friend is because I am definitely not there yet either. Remember "This too shall pass". Love to you all.

hollyfouts said...

I am always looking back and feeling thankful for growth. I was a total idiot when I got married too. I can even look back as recently as last year/month/etc and be thankful for the perspective that I have gained through life's experiences. I am also thankful that God is in control because if I had been able to take control of my life I'm sure would be having regrets of those "idiot days". I am glad that God is taking care of me because he certainly knows better than I do what I need. I can totally understand how frustrating it is when you can't see God's plan and are desparately searching for answers to prayer. I have struggled with that the past few months with all of the decisions that have had to be made in our lives. I would pray for reassurance, tell God I needed answers, and basically give Him a deadline for Him to give me these answers. (I know...idiot.) When really God had provided everything that we needed all along. Lane had a job that provided for our family, we were given an opportunity to spend 2 years growing closer to our family (although I still have a strange fear that we were brought here for a reason that I don't yet know), we found a house to raise our family in....why did I need more?

OK, that's a long comment. Maybe I should call you sometime to chat:) I will definitely be praying for you. You are a wonderful example of a Godly woman and mom. I hope that you will soon find peace and comfort and understanding God's will.

Unknown said...

Your friend sounds like such an amazing woman! I think we can all learn from her. I am sorry that you are having a rough time. I hope things start looking up soon.

Sarah said...

Amber, I could have written this post. Seriously. This week, I have been *afraid* to pick up the phone because I knew whomever was on the other hand might be liable to get more than they ever wanted to know about me. :) I'm thankful for a couple of best friends and a very good older mentor that I can blabbbbbb my heart out to and they still like me, somehow!

I will add you to my prayer list, that God will show you clear answers to your search very soon.

I am so there with you!