Sunday, July 30, 2006

Drama Drama Drama...







The past few weeks have been busy for the girl. She has been involved in a two week long drama camp. We enrolled her in this camp to help build her public speaking skills and also just for something fun to do. She loved this drama camp and surprised us with her lack of shyness. She wasn't scared at all about performing and seemed to enjoy being in the spotlight.

The drama camp worked with the kids on lots of different theater skills. Many are things that I am unfamiliar with, but if you ask Mary Alice, she will quickly describe the different dance steps and her newly learned theater lingo. She now says things like "monologue" and "hold for applause". What a silly girl she is!

At her performance on Saturday she did a monologue. She was Little Miss Muffett. We got it on video. She was pretty sweet, but I might be just a little biased. She sang a solo and did a few smooth dance moves. :) She especially liked the singing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" and "Follow the Yellow Brick Road". I am so glad that she was able to have fun with her little theater buddies and so proud of how friendly she is becoming. This is definitely an answer to many prayers.


Off the subject, but definitely noteworthy: Something funny the girl said last week...

A conversation I had with her while snuggling before bedtime:

Me: "Mary Alice, you are so beautiful. Did you know that?"

(smile and giggle from Mary Alice)

Me: "I'm serious! You are SUCH a pretty girl! Don't you ever just look in the mirror sometimes and say 'I am SO beautiful!' "

Mary Alice shaking her head: "Well, I THINK it, but I don't SAY it out loud. That would be being proud."


I was just trying to point out how pretty I thought she was. I didn't know I was encouraging pride at such an early age! :)

I am looking forward to a peaceful week at home. All of this going and blowing has the kids in a funk. Drama camp is fun for a little while, but we like our home not to be full of drama most of the time. I am hoping that any drama around our home will be limited to the setting of a peaceful home, characters that are calm and obedient, minimal conflict, with maybe a little comic relief here and there.

6 comments:

mcjacobsjournal said...

I am so proud of sweet Mary Alice! What a great thing to involve her in at this age! As a fellow shy child myself, I know she will thank you for this opportunity to get out of her comfort zone and try something that she might never have known she was so good at! Good job, Mommy!

And, I just read about Baby Clay too. We continue to pray for him and his development. Thanks for keeping us posted on this sweet family.

jenny biz said...

So precious!! What a talented little girl!! She is beautiful!
On another note (I was going to email you but I don't have a working email for you). KidStand(a ministry I am working with) is doing a concert in Cleburne this Friday night. I don't know how far you guys live there but if you are interested email me!! My email is the same! Love ya'!

Erica said...

I love that Mary Alice went to Drama Camp and really loved the experience. I have thought about putting Kaylee in one next year...we shall see. I am so glad that she is not shy and is sure of herelf at such a young age. You go Mary Alice:) Thank you for sharing the pictures are precious.

Alyssa said...

Your pictures of Mary Alice were precious! She is getting so big-I am so glad that she had fun at drama camp. :)

Kristen OQ said...

What fun & cute pictures of Mary Alice! Sounds like drama camp hit the spot for her this summer.

Unknown said...

I love the pictures of Mary Alice (especially the first one)! I am glad that you got her performance on video. I think it is funny that you call her "the girl." Boone and I frequently refer to Jackson as "boy." We will ask each other to go get boy ready or something along those lines.

Also, keep us updated on Clay! Tell Brooke that I am praying for her and her family.