Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Penelope the Crab and Her Sidekick Cornelius

Sorry for so many pictures... I just couldn't help myself.


Penelope the Crab



Major watching the costumes go by...



Major waiting on Gran to paint a spider on his hand

I thought I'd post a few pictures from the recent Fall festivals and Halloween festivities that we attended recently. On Saturday, our church had a fall festival. It had bounce houses, train rides, cake walks, and junk food. Mary Alice enjoyed it all, while Major enjoyed it all minus the bounce houses and things that might reinjure his collarbone.

Afterward, we traveled down to Gran and Poppa's church fall festival for even more fun. Gran was the designated face painter at this church festival. Mary Alice got her face painted. Major had a spider painted on his hand. The kids ate hot dogs, cotton candy and rode on a train ride. The kids loved riding the "extra long and extra bouncy" train ride with their Poppa.

Last night (Halloween), we went to another church's fall festival for even more candy. The kids enjoyed walking around in their costumes. Many jokesters loved to make remarks to Mary Alice about her costume. Some things we heard repeatedly were, "Are you feeling crabby today, Mary Alice?" and "Can you crab walk?" Also, "Are you Sebastian?" To which, Mary Alice promptly replied, "No? No? and No, I'm Penelope the crab." This is what she named her character. She was so cute. She had helped to make her costume and had been looking forward to wearing it for weeks. I think she was so excited she could hardly contain herself. We thought she was the cutest little crab we'd ever seen!

When people asked Major what he was dressed as he would say, "A Gwadiator." Mary Alice would inform any inquirers that he was actually Cornelius. Most people would reply with... "Uh okay." Since these were church festivals, many people knew who Cornelius was. Whatever Major went as, a gladiator, Cornelius, a Roman soldier, he was definitely playing the part. He was hilarious!!! He loved to hold his sword out and make a gruff sounding "ARRGH!" like he was ready to slice someone to pieces. Don't worry. We had a talk before the festivities about pointing our sword at people. I asked him, "Major? Do we cut people with our swords?" He said, "No. We just cut vegetables and cookies and things like that." (Yes, my secret is out... I do my kitchen chopping using a machete.) Crazy kid! I don't know where he got that one! Also, he would get mad when his helmet slipped down over his eyes and start yelling. He pretty much loved being a gladiator. He's a tough guy, though, so he needed a tough guy costume.




Major and Poppa on the train ride



The girl sitting on her Daddy's lap after a long day of festivalling

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I never knew a crab could be so pretty...she looks beautiful! You are so talented to make your own costumes, it certainly allows you to be creative! I wish I could have seen Major being a gwadiator, I bet it was adorable. I miss seeing your kids grow up.

Thanks for the picture loading tip. I'll have to check it out.

Miranda said...

They are so cute! I miss those crazy kids. Give them big hugs for me.

Alyssa said...

What wonderful costumes... your kids are getting so big... Mary Alice is just beautiful! I am glad you guys are having a fun fall :)

Anonymous said...

Both Mary Alice and Major look so cute in their costumes! I love that Mary Alice named her crab Penelope. So cute! You are very crafty. The costumes look great!

Kristen OQ said...

Cue costumes -- all the way down to Mary Alice's red high tops!