Thursday, November 30, 2006

Oh How I Love To Be Home

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to be at home. I do believe that staying at home and avoiding busyness is one of my favorite things to do. I don't like to have "permanent" commitments (meaning EVERY Tuesday or once a month, etc.). I try to keep things like that to a minimum. Unfortunately, keeping life free from busyness is much harder than it seems.

Recently, our lives have been overtaken with the whirlwind of a "permanent commitment" that we made... Mary Alice's Christmas play. We did this last year and it proved to be so much fun for our girl that we decided to let her try out again. She is lovin it! She loves to be on stage, loves to perform, loves all of the attention that she gets from her friends at this small-town community theater. We have only recently began to feel the busyness creeping into our lives. This week she has had run thrus every night of the week. Tonight, the real show begins. She will be on the stage Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, for a total of eight full performances this week!

She cracks me up with her antics, which I hear about from other cast members. "George" and "Mary" in the play love Mary Alice and treat her like their little pet. They are constantly showering her with goodies and toys and such. Anyway, last week, they gave her a very scantily clad Barbie doll. My sister, who is also in the play, told me that Mary Alice told them thank you for the gift and when she opened it and saw that it was a half naked Barbie, put her hand over her mouth and said, "Shame! This doll is immodest!"

Mary Alice has also been known to "help out" her friends "George" and "Mary" when they forget their lines. I think the girl knows most of the lines in the play. It is hilarious to watch her enact other people's parts, like the part of "Ma Bailey". The woman who plays Ma Bailey has a pretty serious Texas accent, which carries over to her part a little bit. Mary Alice says all of Ma Bailey's lines, accent, choreography, and all, and isn't even aware that she is the slightest bit humorous. The girl has gone around with dark circles under her eyes for the last couple of weeks, due to her 10:30 bedtime each night. I am hoping that she doesn't get sick from this major lack of sleep. We are busy, but I am glad that Mary Alice is able to enjoy this special play, despite its infringing upon our much needed "home time". We'll be back to our schedules and routines in another couple of weeks. I know everything will work out and will get back to normal...eventually.

Today was a wonderful day, though. We decided that we would not leave the house for any reason, until tonight, when the girl has to be at her play again. Today, we've enjoyed the cold weather in the comfort of our cozy home. Mary Alice helped decorate the tree. Major sat beside the CD player and listened to Christmas songs. He didn't want to help us with the tree. He isn't much of a decorator.

When the girl gets up from her nap, we'll put up the Christmas villages, my Noel Piper Advent calendar, and my most favorite thing of all, my nativity scene. I just love pulling each and every little piece out of the box each year.

Top Ten Positives of Mary Alice being in a Christmas play:

1) We get to listen to KLTY's Top 10 at 10 Christmas songs each night, which usually includes The Chipmunk Christmas song, one of my faves. (The kids laughed their heads off throughout this whole song the other night. We have to buy this CD.)

2) I am an expert at curling Mary Alice's hair in little ringlets.

3) I can pick up things without using my fingers due to the "sticky hands" I have each night after using texture spray to fix Mary Alice's stage ringlets.

4) Mary Alice is now the proud owner of some gorgeous nightgowns that she had to have for the stage. I love to see little girls in nightgowns.

5) The girl loves to dance and can swing her hips while singing "Buffalo Gals Won't You Come Out Tonight" with the best of em! (I'm thinking her newly acquired singing and dancing skills will come in handy when Mary Alice hits Broadway.)

6) I have a special Waterford ornament that my Grandmother gave me when Josh and I first got married. It is a beautiful silver bell. It is one of my favorites. I love to hang it near the top of the tree each year. I always ring the bell first. This year, when I rang the bell, Mary Alice said, "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings.." So cute.

7) Major knows Mary Alice's lines and can say them, minus the "l's" and "r's", just in case. :)

8) Mary Alice knows Auld Lang Syne in its entirety. Boy can she belt that song out!!

9) The girl gets to spend more time with her Gran, Aunt Hannah, and Uncle Ben.

10) Mary Alice and I have lots to talk about. She has lots of questions about phrases/words that she hears in the play. She now knows the meaning of "Any time you think you're man enough...", "anniversary", "vacancy", "measly/crummy", "bucks", and other such words that don't come to mind right now, but will definitely be articulated by Mary Alice in our future conversations.

Throughout all of the busyness, we're going to have to make a special effort to have that home time that I believe our family so desperately needs to function well. I'll try to put some stage pictures of Mary Alice up soon. I haven't taken any yet, but will get right on that. Stay warm!

7 comments:

mcjacobsjournal said...

I love to hear about Mary Alice and her performing. I have no doubt that Kendyll would LOVE to be in something like that and I'm hoping we can try her acting/singing skills next year at some point. It's so neat to hear all the things Mary Alice has learned from doing this!

Also---would you email me when/where Mary Alice's play is this year? Kendyll and I would love to take a girl's night to come watch her!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm SO excited to see her play on Saturday. I was able to score front row seats, baby!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see some pictures! Sounds like a blast!

Nicole said...

I love this post, Amber. I laughed several times at how clever Mary Alice is! I'm glad that she got the opportunity to perform again this year. I was just recalling the other day how Mary Alice used to be so shy and she would have to speak to X number of people at church on a Sunday to overcome her shyness. I guess that little project really worked, because now she's on stage!

Gretchen said...

Hi, I found your blog when I did a google search for Noel Piper Advent Calendar. :) I have one and I was trying to find one for my friend, who is interested in celebrating advent this year. I love resources from Desiring God ministries because they are so Christ-centered!

I enjoyed your post and I think the play sounds so GREAT! I wish my town did something really cute like that! How old is your little girl? Does she get her acting skills from her mom?

I love how the blog world has introduced me to so many like-minded people all over the country!

Gretchen said...

Amber,
I have used several of CDG's curriculums over the past couple of years, ever since my husband and I were put in charge of the curriculum selecting for our children's ministry. My favorite is the ABC's of God, and right now I am using "I Stand in Awe" (about the Bible) for my Wednesday night kids. We have also used their VBS -- it's all so good! Right now in my Sunday School class I am adapting the Baptist Catchecism for 1st and 2nd graders and it has been going really well!

I am so envious that you have been to the conference! Someday, I guess. . .

Thanks for the comment! I am quite sure we WOULD be friends if we lived closer. :)

Gretchen

Anonymous said...

I haven't even met her in person, but Mary Alice cracks me up! I can't wait to see pictures of her precious little ringlets and nightgowns! Also, I love the Chipmunks Christmas music also. When I suggested we buy that CD a couple of weeks ago, Boone looked at me like I was a freak and asked why I would suggest such a thing. I am glad to know you love it too!