Monday, March 12, 2007

How Do You Spell... Resourceful?

Today Mary Alice was writing a letter to her friends, Janae and Jillian.

Mary Alice: "Mom...How do you spell Dear?"

Mary Alice: "How do you spell Janae?"

Mary Alice: "How do you spell Jillian?"

After the third question, I told her that I could no longer be her personal speller, that she needed to try to sound out the words on her own. She went off by herself to finish working on the letter.

I walked in to discover that she was eagerly searching through her books, looking for the words that she wanted to use. That girl is a perfectionist and really hates to make a mistake. She was being resourceful, avoiding sounding out the words on her own, but ran into a little problem.

I guess she was able to find all of the words that she needed, except for the word "wrote". She held up her letter and said, "I couldn't find the word "wrote" in my books, so I just used the word "turned" instead." Silly goose!
She held up her letter.

It read:

Dear Janae and Jillian,

I think you have beautiful voices! I turned all these words from my book!
Love you! We love you!

Love, Mary Alice

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too Cute!!

Holly said...

That is precious! What a smart little girl you have there!

Alyssa said...

SO smart and so resourceful!

Sarah B said...

SMART GIRL!

Traci said...

I am very impressed! She's a smartie!

Nicole said...

I, too, am a personal speller. At least the interest is there, but I'll be glad when Emma steps out on her own and tries it herself like Mary Alice is doing. Good for her!

Unknown said...

Mary Alice is such a smartie! Her little note is so cute!

Also, your last post cracked me up! I read it a while back but have just gotten around to commenting. You really need to video these exchanges!

I often feel that I live in the ghetto, too. The thing about Galveston is that there is not much division between nice areas and ghetto areas. Sometimes, there will be a string of ghetto on a nice street.

Finally, you crack me up with your hang up about the name Scooter! On the wedding invitation, they put his real name; however, in quotations they put "Scooter." The funny thing is that when I met Scooter, I didn't think anything of his unusual name because there are a lot of unusual names in my in-laws' families. Here are a few in case you are interested: Boone (gotta start there; we usually have to tell people his name twice and say "like Daniel Boone"), Cebia (pronounced See-bee-ya; there are two of these), Mignon (pronounced Men-yon), the infamous Scooter, Cherrie (pronounced like the fruit) and M.C. (these are just her initials, but this is what she goes by). These were all new names to me as I come from a family where my brothers and I were all named one syllable common names (Steve and Luke are my brother's names). Scooter just seemed like nothing out of the ordinary, I guess! Sorry for the long comment!