Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tessa Weds



And now, a few words about a much anticipated event in our family... My sister, Tessa, got married this past Saturday. The bridal portrait that Taylor took is at the top of my blog. Isn't Tessa gorgeous? Taylor didn't photograph Tessa's wedding, but was free to just relax and enjoy herself.

You'll have to click over to Erin's blog to check out the sneak peeks of Tessa's wedding that she posted.

So...Before you read this post, go on over and check it out...

Some highlights from Tessa and Dustin's special weekend:

1)THE NIGHT BEFORE...At the rehearsal dinner, friends and family gave their "toasts" to Tessa and Dustin. My dad had the most memorable remarks. He was holding back his tears as he turned to Dustin and said, "If you love Tessa half as much as I love her Mom, your life will be full of joy. Then, to lighten the serious mood, Dad turned to Tessa and said one of his famous one-liners, "Tessa, you know that you are always welcome home, but just remember, from "Dust" you came and to "Dust" you shall return!"
HA! Greatness...

2)THE FAMILY...My cousin, Betsy, came to stay with me for days before the event. She wanted to help out with the wedding. I know that my mother, especially, really appreciated Betsy's help with everything. I just enjoyed the chance to spend some time with a family member that I don't see often enough. It was such fun to get to stay up late talking and giggling with Betsy in the days leading up to the wedding. We had way too much fun making some cheese logs late one night. I'm sure they were tasty, but a "log" made out of cheese just doesn't sound so appetizing to me. Meat loaf, cheese log, etc. Eck! I have a thing about foods with gross names.

3) THE MUSIC...The wedding was beautiful! My favorite moment was when Tessa walked down the aisle. She chose the most beautiful version of "Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing" as her processional. Ever heard of Sufjan Stevens? I hadn't. Now that I have heard of him, I know what Christmas CD I'm buying this year! This guy was amazing!!! CLICK HERE TO HEAR HIS INCREDIBLE VOICE! Sufjan's voice wasn't able to make it to the wedding, so my brothers Adam and Ben sang instead. :) Ben accompanied with the piano, along with a guitar player and a banjo player. When Tessa was about to come down the aisle, there were jingle bells. It sent chills down my spine. This was, without a doubt, the BEST arrangement of Come Thou Fount I've ever heard.

4) THE GIRL... Mary Alice always struggles with holding back her tears at these events. She is so much like me in this way. Poor girl! At Taylor's wedding, a couple of years ago, Mary Alice was the flower girl. She cried all during the wedding "because everything was just so sweet." This time, I could tell that she was trying her best not to cry as she walked down the aisle. Precious.

5) THE RING BEARERS...Major, and his cousin, Landon, were ring bearers. They were so cute and did such a good job even though Major expressed disappointment that they weren't carrying the real rings. "What's the point of this job, anyway?" he asked me just before the wedding.

6) THE HAIR... My mom's friend, Shannon, has a talent for creating fabulous hairstyles. She is heavily involved in the theater and is used to styling hair for actors and actresses. She is WAY better than any professional stylist I've seen. Our hairstyles were all fab. She used her creativity on each and every person and told my mom that it was her "gift" to Dustin and Tessa. Mom and Dad have so many wonderful friends. What a blessing these friends were to our family this weekend! We are so thankful!

7) THE AFTER PARTY... My parents finally caved in and put a dance floor in their back yard. In past years (for example, at my own wedding reception), Mom and Dad hesitated to do something that might offend someone. They finally decided that it was possible to have a dance without the offensive stuff by controlling the environment a little bit. Mom's friend, Shannon, and her husband chose the music. This made sure that there was no bootie shaking going on. :)

My brother, Ben, and his friends are all really good dancers. They kept everything lively. Ben tried to teach me how to dance. Yikes! I need a LOT more practice. Major and I danced to "Cotton Eyed Joe" together. That was really fun, even though we nearly got mowed over on the dance floor. Major especially loved YMCA and has requested that I play "Cha Cha Slide" several times this week. :) The photographer captured one picture of all of the sisters dancing to Thriller. (Can't wait to see that! HA!) Mary Alice and Major danced the night away. They had a blast! It was exciting to watch Tessa's first dance with Dustin and especially her dance with my sweet Dad. So special!

8) OTHER FUNNY STUFF... Major caught the garter. He was absolutely ECSTATIC that it was "Made In China" and went around telling everyone, "I caught the garter. Did you know that it was made in China???" We buy the most exotic legwear for our family's weddings. Only the best will do. :) Major was amazed that he had such a treasure in his possession. :)

9) Ben and Milla on the dance floor... Need I say more? :)

I loved every minute of that wedding, but am also really glad it is OVER! I know that Dustin and Tessa are thrilled that they can finally be together. I am so excited that they have found each other. They are going to be one dynamic duo! It will be exciting to see what the future holds for Dustin and Tessa. They are both faithful Christians who desire to glorify God with their new little family. So exciting! Congratulations to the Hahnies! We love you both very much!

5 comments:

Phillips Family said...

Those wedding pictures are beautiful! What a fun family experience!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures..! I was teary eyed just reading this post because they are such a cute, sweet, couple! I can't wait to see what God has in store for them...BIG THINGS!!

Taylor Jackson said...

So glad it's finally over! By the way, I posted a sneak peak of Milla's fun pictures...I'll post a few more later!

Erin said...

Thanks so much for the blog love!! I appreciate it :D
PS, I love your blog header, it's so happy!

Erin said...

Thanks so much for the blog love!! I appreciate it :D
PS, I love your blog header, it's so happy!