Thursday, December 08, 2005

"Play Practice"


The past week (and the past month if I really think about it) have all been about one thing---Mary Alice's play.

The poor thing! She loves being in the play, but it is really wearing her out! Last week she had practices at the beginning of the week and a performance on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, two on Saturday, and one on Sunday. Keep in mind that many of these performances are past her bedtime or during her naptime. This has led to her being sick with a cold for quite some time now. We're really ready for the play to come to an end. Honestly! I don't know how theatre people do it! I don't know how they function without crumbling under all of the stress. I really love when my day is orderly and predictable, so theatre life is definitely not for me!

So, Mary Alice did well in her first five performances, but by Sunday, she was hyper-active, crazy, and had dark circles under her eyes. The director actually had to get on to her for dancing and wiggling around with her candle during the Sunday performance. She had a few days to rest and recoup before performing again tonight. As I type, I can rejoice in that she only has four more performances!! I am just hoping she can hold up for a few more days. Funny thing! She still calls it "play practice" and doesn't seem to understand that she is performing for people. It is probably better that way. Mary Alice sees the whole thing as "play". She thinks that she and her buddies are having a good old time just pretending and "playing". They just happen to be doing it in costumes and on a stage. It is hard for me to believe that this same girl doesn't want to go up in front of the church to perform. You know when they have all of the kids go down front to sing a song or whatever? Not Mary Alice. It has to be her idea.

I am posting a picture of one tired Mary Alice after her Saturday night performance. Notice the far off, spaced out look in her eyes. She is exhausted, but she is sure having fun! Josh's parents, Chad and Miranda, and Josh's Grandmother got to watch her that night. Josh's parents brought her flowers. They weren't anything fancy, but boy was she proud! She treated those pink carnations as if they were the most beautiful, valuable flowers in the world! She clutched them tightly to her chest all the way home, even falling asleep with them in her arms. They are now proudly displayed in a vase on the dresser in her room.

Well, I hear the garage door opening. That means that Mary Alice is home from her "play". Now we can hurriedly get her to bed and get ready to do it all again tomorrow!

8 comments:

jenny biz said...

What great memories for Mary Alice!! I am sure she is very proud of her flowers!!

Erica said...

That sounds very exhausting even for me. Mary Alice looks so sweet in the picture. What a wonderful memory for you and her to have in years to come. She is a very pretty angel!

hollyfouts said...

She looks so grown up in her "stage make-up." I'm sure she was wonderful in "The Best Little Christmas Angel (I mean pageant) Ever." I would have loved to see her play.
Could you send me yall's new address? hollyfouts@hotmail.com

Kristen OQ said...

Mary Alice does look so grown up for me. I remember being in elementary school in a dance thing that we would practice like that have non-stop performances for 2 weeks. You have made me think about my poor parents during that time! It is a fun memory I have though and I know Mary Alice appreciates it. There is nothing cuter than little kids up on a stage, in costumes, and makeup...melts me every time.

Unknown said...

That is quite a rigorous performance schedule for a little girl! I am sure she is as precious onstage as she looks in this picture!

Unknown said...

Amber, your kids are beautiful and precious! I very much enjoy reading about your life as a mommy!

Melanie said...

Mary Alice looks so much like you!! She's definitely a cutie! What a fun time you must be having! Is it hard for Major to see her on stage and not be able to be right there with her?

Amber Smith said...

Melanie-
Unfortunately, Major did not join us at the performance. He would've loved the play for about the first 5 minutes, then I'm sure he would've wanted to yell out or run on the stage.