Friday, December 16, 2005

Tea Party Extravaganza





Have you ever seen the aftermath of a hurricane or other natural disaster? Structures have been turned to piles of rubble. Possessions have been misplaced. Families are walking around with a confused look in their eyes, like they can't believe what just happened and don't know what they should do next.

That is how I would describe our family right now. There were several different "hurricanes" that hit our house last week. A suburban load of boxes full of junk kept me busy for a few days. Yesterday, was Mary Alice's tea party, which kept us busy for several more days. Now, in the aftermath, we are all wandering around, trying to get our life back to some sense of normal. Our house is littered with tea party decor, boxes, leftover tea party crafts, Christmas items, and boxes and boxes of leftover Christmas goodies.

I am happy to report, though, that Mary Alice's tea party was a success. She had so much fun with her friends. She did cry for a little while when the tea was over, saying that she wanted her friends to stay all night. She was very very sad when the party came to an end.

This morning, we got up and ate a special breakfast together. I made tea for the two of us, made toast out of leftover bread that had been cut out into various shapes, and scrambled eggs. We had our own tea party to celebrate the fact that the tea party was over. (at least that is what I was celebrating :)

My girl sure does love to have tea parties! I think that is one of her favorite pasttimes. Lots of people have tea parties with my girl. I think her favorite tea party friends are her Nonnie, her Poppa, and her Aunt Hannah who is affectionately referred to by Mary Alice as "my best friend Hannah". She has been wearing her dress up jewelry all day today (not uncommon for her), and carrying around various tea party items. She even wore her dress up stuff to the library today. Something about my girl in her dress up clothes is just so sweet!

About her tea party.... some of you have commented on what a great idea it is. It actually wasn't my idea at all. When I was in the third grade, my mother decided to have a Christmas tea party for my friends and me. I had them over for goodies and tea, which my mom served them from her teacup collection. She made a big deal out of telling them how ladies act at a tea party and about where she got each teacup, etc. Everything was really very formal. I had a tea party every year until I was about 12 or so and decided that was really too silly for me to be doing. My sisters had Christmas tea parties too until they were about the same ages. This is Mary Alice's third Christmas tea party and a tradition that I would like to carry on with her until she thinks that she is too old for it. Then I might just have them all by myself, because I like them so much!

Each year, the tea parties have evolved a little bit. We've made many many different kinds of cookies, scones, tarts, etc. and have found the little girl favorite to be crackers with a squirt of Cheese Whiz. :) I don't actually serve tea, but apple cider, as I don't want parents to be mad at me because their kids won't sleep at night. We've figured out that having fun things to do is good. Sitting around, talking and staring at each other may have been great fun for the Brits, but is not popular amongst little girls. So, we usually make crafts, although one year we sang Christmas carols around the piano. We've made everything from Christmas cookies, Christmas cards, to tea party accessories (hats, gloves, etc.)

Yesterday, the girls decorated gloves and purses with jewels and trim. That was pretty fun. Poor Mary Alice must've inherited my artistic talent. While the other 4 year olds used the provided Q-Tip to put dots of glue on the back of their jewels to adhere them to the purse, Mary Alice smeared the WHOLE purse with glue and then tried to stick things onto the purse. The purse was cute, though, because she made it.

Major had GREAT fun at the party. We dressed him in a tuxedo that was left over from Miran's wedding this summer. He had the most fun of all, I think. He sneaked around from area to area, swiping Christmas cookies, quiches, or whatever he could get his grubby little hands on, and stuffing them into his mouth as fast as he could. Yes, my big guy had a great time. He is such a little man. I think he ate more than all of those little girls combined! I am a bit concerned, though, that the two hours prior to the tea party Major was clickety clacking around the house in my black high heels. Should I also be concerned that he likes to put on Mary Alice's necklaces, hats, and push her baby around in a stroller? This behavior is definitely not encouraged around here, but what am I to do about this? Grandparents, if you are reading this, Major needs some manly toys for Christmas!!!

So here we are, the whirlwind of activity has left us. My house, though it is clean, is full of random items that need to be put away/returned to their owner. We have been so busy with preparing for the tea party that we now seem to have so much free time to enjoy the day. What are we going to do today? I love to have days that I can ask that question.

4 comments:

Sam said...

I wanted to tell you that I thought your thougths on drinking that you wrote on the Mayo's blog were very good. As a parent, it is so important, and at times so hard, to factor in the effects that even the most miinor of habits will have on their development physically and spiritually.

On another subject, I would activate "word verification" on your blog. It will save you the hassle of blog spamming.

thanks.

mcjacobsjournal said...

What cute pictures of your little tea party girl! That is such a neat tradition---I had no idea it went back to your childhood!

I hope you have a very relaxing weekend after all of the busy days. :)

Unknown said...

I love the tradition of the tea party, and if I ever have a little girl someday, I may steal it for her. Mary Alice is so precious, and Major is quite handsome in the tux! As for his dressing up in shoes and such, my brother occasionally played Barbies, Cabbage Patch and Care Bears with me, and he is as macho as they come. He would probably kill me for writing this, but that is a different story altogether.

MereMoore said...

that is awesome - you are such a creative mom!! that is a wonderful tradition to have with M.A. and Major just cracks me up!!