Friday, July 28, 2006

Baby Clay


Well, I just returned from a trip to Huntsville to visit my good friend, Brook and her new baby, Clay. It was so good to spend some time with such a dear friend, though I wish the circumstances had been different. Clay is doing better than most babies that were born so early. He is breathing on his own (a BIG deal) and hasn't had any of the scary problems that lots of preemies can have. His heart rate, temperature, and breathing are constantly monitored and look good. Also, he is taking breastmilk through a tube placed in his nose. This is also a BIG deal because many babies aren't able to take their mother's milk this early. Another huge blessing is that the hospital where Clay is staying in The Woodlands supposedly has a really good NICU. After being there for a few days, I can say that the nurses there are so sweet and helpful and kind to Brook. I am so glad that these people can help to encourage her and that she has such knowledgeable people caring for her baby.

I know that this is a time of worry and uncertainty for Brook and her husband, Kyle. They credit how well Clay is doing to prayer. The nurses used the phrase "one in a million" to describe Clay's progress. They said that he looks "strong". He looks so fragile to me. His tiny head is about the size of an orange. His feet are about the size of my thumb. His diaper is about the size of my fist and they have to fold it over to make it fit.

Please continue to pray for Clay, his parents and his big sister Kendall. Kendall hasn't been away from her mom often, so all of this craziness is rocking her world a little bit too. Some church people are pitching in when Brook's mom leaves to help care for Kendall during the day.

I tried to take some pictures of Clay. Clay is kept in a dimly lit room with very little light. Flash photography can be irritating to preemies this little. I am an ameteur at working without light(as you can plainly see), so the pictures came out a little bit fuzzy. Josh told me I used the wrong lens. UGH! I might have to make another trip down there pretty soon to see those guys again. Please pray for by best friend Brook. She is having to deal with so much stress. Nearly every day they tell her some test that they are doing to make sure that Clay doesn't have some serious health problem. Thus far, he has passed each and every test with no problems. Please keep praying.

No comments: