Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Not so "STWONG" today

Mary Alice and Major were playing in the livingroom yesterday. I was in the next room and heard them laughing and playing together. I didn't pay attention, however, to WHAT they were playing.

All of a sudden I heard Major scream out in pain and start crying... LOUDLY! I ran to check on what was going on and found Major sprawled out on his belly at the foot of the stairs. He was obviously in pain. His body was actually shaking and he kept crying (very unlike him). Mary Alice told me what had happened. Apparently they were playing a game to see who could jump down the most stairs. She said, "Major jumped down four and I jumped down five." I asked him where it hurt and checked his arm and shoulder. I was a little unnerved. I took him over to the rocking chair, where we stayed for the next hour or so.

It was after 5:00, so I called Josh to find out what he wanted me to do. He came home and checked Major out for me. Mary Alice was in tears and kept saying things to Josh like, "Dad, it was all my fault. The game was my idea. Major wouldn't be hurt if it wasn't for me. I'm so sorry." It was so sad to see her so grieved at the idea of her brother being hurt. She stood there and tried to make him laugh for a long time. He didn't laugh at any of the usual things, but just sat in my lap and sucked on his thumb. Pitiful.

We went ahead and went to Josh's softball game and decided to keep an eye Major's shoulder. At the game, Major just sat in my lap and sucked his thumb, pausing occasionally to yell out "Go Daddy!" So pitiful.

On the way home from the game, my ingenious husband decided to try to take an x-ray of Major's shoulder. He took Major down to his office after the game. Josh lined up a bunch of bitewings (the small things that are used to x-ray mouths) and had Major lay down on top of them. My husband's silly plan worked. He brought home the x-ray and said that Major's collarbone was broken.

We called my brother (a med student) who gave us lots of extra information on the matter. Anyway, I took Major to his doctor this morning. She laughed at the bitewing x-ray, but praised Josh for his creativity. She took another x-ray and said that his collarbone was indeed broken. Now my little man is wearing a splint. It is a sad sight to see him in pain. The doctors say that he will have to wear the splint for about four weeks. No more "STWONG" poses for him for awhile. Major's dad, who has always wished Major was a lefty, will get his wish for the next few weeks.

13 comments:

jenny biz said...

Poor Major!! And sweet Mary Alice to be so upset! And...creative Josh for being so resourceful!! And...what a great, caring mommy they have!
I sure hope it heals really fast!!

Oh, and hey...we did go to Dinosaur Valley. We loved it!!! The water was down and we could clearly see the footprints. We also went to Fossil Rim Wildlife! Highly recommend that place if you haven't already taken your kiddos. It was amazing!! We had such a great time!

Erica said...

That is so sad:( Poor Major and Mary Alice. I am sure that they both looked equally pitiful. Give them both a hug from us. We will be praying that the healing goes smoothly and quickly. Kuddos to Josh!

Candice said...

I'm so sorry Major has been in pain. Kids are so tough...it sounds like he really tried to keep going without complaining. So sweet.

Anne said...

Thinking of all of you...it's so hard to see your kiddos hurting.

Tamra Perkinson said...

Ah! Poor sweet Maj! You have to post a picture of him in his splint though. I'm so sorry that happened! A mom's worst nightmare. Give him lots of extra love and hugs!

Hannah Ruthie said...

aww...poor little Maj...he's such a sweet boy. Mary Alice is soooo sweet too...awwww

Unknown said...

Poor baby! I am glad that he is okay, and that is really funny about Josh x-raying him. Collarbones are so easy to break! He will be good as new in no time!

Anonymous said...

Amber,
Tell little Major that when his Aunt Deon was 2 years old she fell off the bed and broke her collarbone. I also think that ice cream is a sure cure for feeling down or hurting. Ha
Deon

Amber Smith said...

Deon-
We definitely did take Mary Alice and Major to Sonic to get an ice cream treat after Major's visit to the doctor. Ice cream always makes it better! :)

MereMoore said...

oh my goodness! daddy is a GENIOUS - i just laughed so hard imagining how y'all did the xrays!! too funny-but i will keep that in mind one day when someone in our family comes crashing down!! miss y'all!!!!!!

Phillips Family said...

Yuck! Hope the recovery time is short!

hollyfouts said...

Poor major! Hope he feels better soon!

Kristen OQ said...

I am just now catching up -- poor little guy! But what a tough little guy too...he is "stwong" to have stopped crying when he had a broken bone.