Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Celebrating The Fall


Today the kids and I had a fall party. We had originally planned on it being an activity for the first day of fall, but that didn't work out, so we celebrated it today instead. The weather was much more fallish today than the actual first day of fall, so it worked out nicely.

Mary Alice made placecards for each person who came. I had originally planned to just do fall activities for the kids, but Mary Alice thought it would be more fun to invite Gran, Ben and Hannah. Mary Alice decorated the table with me. She helped me set the table and chose where each person would sit. Gran came bearing gifts, a fall book for each of the kids and a Martha Stewart Living magazine for me. I am a huge lover of quality children's literature, so the books were a fun surprise. Gran sat down on the couch and read the books, one of them twice, to the kids, as soon as she arrived. I am sure that we'll be reading those books alot over the next few weeks.




The kids decorated fall cookies, ate pumpkin bread and other fall treats. We went outside and bobbed for apples. This was fun! I bought the kids goggles on clearance at Target a few days ago. Nobody in my family enjoys getting water in their eyes. We think goggles are a must for apple bobbers!! The kids looked funny wearing their goggles. Mary Alice enjoyed the sport of apple bobbing so much that she would have liked to have bobbed for everyone's apple! Major, though apprehensive at first, eventually participated in the fun. Tonight before bed, he asked me if we could go outside and "do the apple thing again" tomorrow. We'll see about that. I now know that bobbing for apples is not one of my talents. My sister, Hannah, however, could give anyone a run for their money.


We had some fun fall crafts planned, but the kids were more interested in showing Gran, Ben and Hannah nearly every archived video from Vision Forum's Everyday News. The kids are really into watching these short video clips ever since we saw the one of Daniel on Girl Talk a few days ago. So, the party was fun, but may have to be continued at a later date. We stuffed ourselves silly on sweets. If we do this again next year, I may concentrate more on fixing fall foods, not fall sweets. Mary Alice's little tummy hurt because she was full of sweets, but when I mentioned that I'd forgotten to put the caramel corn on the table, she changed her tune pretty quickly.





So at a later time, we will finish up the caramel corn and fall crafties. All in all I'd say we had a great time celebrating what I believe to be the most enjoyable season that God created, the fall. Get outside with your kids tomorrow and breathe in some of that cool autumn air! You can even go bobbing for apples for some extra fun. Just be sure to wear your goggles!

6 comments:

jenny biz said...

What fun!! What great memories that you create for your kiddos!!

Phillips Family said...

You are such a fun mom! Thanks for giving me great ideas!

Unknown said...

I agree with Lynley - thanks for giving me great ideas! You should write a book about fun things to do with your kids. I would buy it!

Traci said...

You are TOO creative! I love your fall party idea. The kids looked like they were having a blast.

I just read about poor little Major! I hope he is feeling lots better!

Alisha Stewart said...

Looks like lots of fun!

MereMoore said...

you are so awesome!! i am glad we have blogs so that i can revert back to these things you did with your kids!! you are my most creative friend ever!!