Friday, September 08, 2006

Thoughts for the Day

1) Major has a blanket that his Nima made him that he carries around with him everywhere these days. He really likes me to hold him and rock him. This morning, he looked up at me with his big blue eyes while sucking his thumb and holding his blankie. He said, "Mom, could you hold me like an angel?" Lots of mornings, I will pick him up and tell him that he is my little angel. I wrap him in his blankie and rock him. Today I got to hold him "like an angel". That is what I am doing as I type this blog. There is nothing better than a sweet little one in your arms.

2) The kids have been playing together a LOT. They seem to get along so well these days. Mary Alice is like a little mother to the Maje. She likes to hug him, read to him, have him lay in her lap. She treats him like one of her baby dolls. If he's anything like my little brother was, in a year or so he won't want to play her games anymore. For now, though, it sure is sweet.

3) We had a little bit of trouble with Mary Alice yesterday. It really broke my heart. I overheard her making fun of another little girl. This is something that we haven't encountered before, but take very seriously. I overheard her whispering and laughing with one of her friends about another girl. Mary Alice was telling her friend that the other little girl had "baby shoes" and saying "Look at her feet. They look like a baby's feet!" When she looked up and her eyes met mine, she got a sad look on her face and said, "I'm sorry, Mom." I'm not sure if she was more sorry about me hearing her or about saying the mean thing about the other little girl.

Josh and I were not sure about what we should do. Josh asked her how she would feel if she found out that another girl was talking about her, saying that she had a nose like a pig or that she ran like a baby. Mary Alice said that she would be sad. "The little girl didn't hear me talking about her." was her defense. Josh told her that she needed to treat others like she wanted to be treated. We talked a little bit about the seven things that God hates, one of them being a "proud looking eye" and explained why her attitude needed to be different. I think she understood and was sorry. It is hard to be a parent sometimes. I wish that there was something that we could do to help convict her of this other than a little chat. We are praying about it. If anyone has any other ideas on how we should handle this, I'd love to hear them.

4)Random note: Major has been playing with his sister in his room for the last few minutes. He just ran in, gave me a big kiss, and said, "Lu You, Mommy! We're taking a "bath" in sissies' closet." I might need to investigate this one.

5)Girltalk had a particularly inspiring blog yesterday (September 07) that dealt with suffering. You need to go check it out. They quoted a book by Spurgeon called "Beside the Still Waters". I think I'll be getting that book. You can read it by going to GirlTalk.

6) Lastly, we had a wonderful weekend this Labor Day weekend with Grumpy and Nonnie, Chad and Miranda. We always love going to Frisco to see them. We had a great time!

7) Gotta go check on that "bath" in the closet. You never know what those crazy kids are up to!

1 comment:

jenny biz said...

How sweet of Major still wanting to snuggle with you!! You are such a good mommy:) I am still learning these "little girl" things too. Malaya has certainly had her "not so nice" moments. It sounds like you guys did a great job handling it. Mary Alice is very lucky to have such a great example and teacher:)Sometimes praying about it with Malaya helps. Sometimes it is the only way I know to let her hear my true heart.