Friday, September 15, 2006

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things...about Autumn

With fall just around the corner, we have been busy with some fun and exciting things around here. There are many things that I love about the fall. Here are just some of the things I love about the fall, in no particular order:

1) The weather is so nice. It is cooler, which makes playing outside with the kids so much fun!

2) I can open the windows while I cook dinner and let the cool breeze blow through without the a/c turning on. (This also means that I can supervise the kids playing outside while I am inside! YEAH!)

3) Pumpkin candles or other food type candles (which are my favorite anyway)

4) Decorating with pumpkins, gourds, and fall leaves (I just got back from buying my annual supply of pumpkins and gourds from Wal Mart. They will inevitably rot around mid-October, but they sure look good for now!)

5) The gym is no longer packed with schoolchildren. School has begun!! The beginning of school also clears out local parks, grocery stores, and other places we frequent.

6) Football season (I don't particularly enjoy watching football, but you can't beat the atmosphere at a high school game!)

7) The State Fair of Texas (and the food that goes with that)

8) Boo at the Zoo and Fright Fest at Six Flags (Sorry to my friends who disagree with me, but Halloween will always be my favorite holiday!)

9) Making my kids' Halloween costumes

10) I usually have my first official case of cold feet at church on Sunday during the fall season. Luckily for me, I have a nice warm heater named Josh to warm them up for me after church. Putting my cold feet on Josh on a Sunday afternoon is quite a delight, something I look forward to each and every autumn. :)

11) Pumpkin bread

12) Caramel apples

13) seasonal drinks from Starbucks

14) the changing of the leaves

15) the color brown (as in shoes and pants)

16) more layered clothing

17) bobbing for apples

18) Thanksgiving

19) the name.. (The word "autumn" has such a nice ring to it. So much nicer sounding than spring, summer, or winter...)

20) the start of BSF, the end of summer break (This year we are studying Romans. I can't wait!)


I'm excited to start some fun fall traditions here. One of my friends had a fall festival last year to help celebrate the arrival of fall. We are going to try to do that this year, only on a much smaller scale. There is always a reason to have a party!

I have found several websites with neat fall ideas that we're going to try this year. Does anyone have any fun things that you do with your family in the fall? Please share!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading about fall on your blog just made me really excited for its arrival! I love stepping on "crunchy" leaves. I also love going for walks during fall especially if the wind is kind of cold. Halloween is such a fun holiday, and I think it will be more fun with a kid. I will also echo your love for Starbuck's fall drinks although the pumpkin spice latte is around year round now. We don't really have any fall traditions, but maybe I should start some!

How crazy that your friend had to take her kid to the doctor due to a bad reaction to a mosquito bite. I have never really heard of that before. Jackson's eye is all better now. Actually, it was much better by that night. Thanks for asking!

Anne said...

I LOVE the fall...changing colors, and cooler weather are some of God's great blessings! Please share some of the web sites with the great fall ideas...I would love to take a look myself and see what fun we Jones' can have these next few months :)

hollyfouts said...

I have never been more excited about fall than I am this year. I can't wait for a cool breeze and a break from the LA humidity. And I really can't wait for all of the fun fall holidays and the fact that we will actually be spending them at home this year instead of traveling! Yeah for fall!!!

Shanta said...

Amen and Amen! I second that list, Amber, word for word. This is my favorite season of the year for all the same reasons!

Candice said...

Fall has always been exciting to me, but I really love it now that I can enjoy the beautiful colors in TN!

We like to visit a local pumpkin patch each year so the girls can pick out their own pumpkins.

Did MA not start kindergarten this year?

Amber Smith said...

Candice-
No, Mary Alice didn't start this year. After asking many different people for advice on the matter, we decided to wait until next year. We still have some educational goals for this year, but are going to wait until next year to crown her with the title of kindergartener. What are your plans for AK? Did she start school this year?