Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Gardens



We just got back from the gardens. It was such a beautiful day! I had planned to stay inside and do lots of housework, but decided that it was just too pretty outside to stay home.

We had a good time. I was surprised at just how interested Mary Alice was in everything we saw. You know those little things that zoos and other outdoor attractions have, lift the flaps and read the facts type things. Well, Mary Alice wanted to stop and read each and every one of them.

Another thing that surprised me was Mary Alice not complaining once about being sweaty, being hot, or her legs hurting. We walked a few miles today. Neither one of the kids complained. That really shocked me. They said not one word of negativity, just oohed and ahhed at the plant life, bridges, waterfalls, fish, etc. that we saw. This was really odd, considering most of the plant life was dead.


This was totally unprompted. I just happened to catch them being sweet to each other.


Mary Alice was telling Major all about the gardens. "Now, this is a fountain and this is a pond!"


I think we hit the wrong part of the gardens. I didn't feel like there was much to see. We saw the part of the gardens that was free to the public. Next time, we plan on paying the entrance fee. The kids really enjoyed playing outside. They climbed, picked up "treasures" and sticks and such. I packed a picnic lunch, complete with some of their favorite foods: vienna sausages, sandwiches made with white bread, and nutrigrain fruit and nut bars. Yes,I need to go grocery shopping. I plan on doing that, along with the chores that I pushed aside this morning, after the kids get up from their naps.



My little man. He loves to be outside!



We ate our picnic lunch in the shade. It was actually a little warm outside.



Watching the fountain, and thinking... It just killed him that I wouldn't let him go fishing for treasures in the fountain.



My little buddies, some of life's greatest blessings!

9 comments:

Jacinda said...

Did you get Mary Alice's shirt from Target? If so, I saw that the other day and really liked it for Gracie! Gracie has the Kelly's Kids dress that Mary Alice has that's brown with blue dots.

Unknown said...

Those pictures are SO SO great! I love the first one as well as the one of Mary Alice with her arm around Major. Precious! You definitely need to frame that one! It seriously could be one of those black and white kid pictures, it is so cute! I am so jealous of your fun day! Jackson and I are DEFINITELY getting outside tomorrow!

Holly said...

How fun! What a great day and happy memories that were made!

Melanie said...

Love the pics! I am so jealous of your weather! Can't wait for all the snow and ice to melt here!

jenny biz said...

What park were you guys at?? Botanical?? So beautiful! Malaya and I have fun memories of going there with you and Mary Alice!! Looks like a fun day!! I love the definition of the seasons!

Amber Smith said...

Jacinda- Yes, that shirt was from Target. With all of the cold weather, I gave in and had to buy the girl some new clothes.

Jenny- Yes, we were at the Botanical. I remember that trip with you and Malaya to the Arboretum too. I still have those pictures.

Traci said...

Such sweet pictures of your beautiful kids. I enjoyed looking at them and that picture that you didn't plan was priceless!!

mcjacobsjournal said...

As everyone has already said, those picture are priceless. :) You have such cuties and definitely captured their personalities with those shots. I love it when you just "catch" siblings enjoying each other. That happened to me a couple of days ago and I just teared up as I watched them hold hands and walk along the creek looking for treasures. Such precious times.

Your reward was great for putting aside those house chores, huh! :)

Prince Edward said...

A fun day for you guys! I am hating that we are sick right now and not able to go outside and enjoy this warm weather. I am totally ready for spring & summer to be here!