Friday, August 14, 2009

For Our Special Girl On Her Eighth Birthday

It's that time of year again... My sweet girl is turning eight tomorrow! It's time for me to write her birthday letter. This post is long and personal. It is meant for my girl to read on her birthday. If you don't care, you might want to go away and check back later.

To my precious Mary Alice girl on her eighth birthday,

Eight years ago today my life changed forever. I became a mother. I was thankful, but really had no idea what a blessing that God was giving me when he blessed me with you. I remember the moment when they placed you in my arms. Your daddy and I both cried because we thought you were so beautiful! Little did we know that the precious bundle of joy we held in our arms would develop into a little girl with not only a beautiful face, but a beautiful heart as well.

What a gift from God you are! I often find myself in disbelief, wondering why God would have chosen me to be the mother of such a sweet, happy girl! I am so thankful.

This year has brought about many changes for you. You completed the first grade, started wearing glasses, and became a big sister for the second time. You started becoming more concerned with personal modesty. Gone are the days of the hiney dance. :) I'm excited as your dad and I continue to watch you grow and change from a little girl into a big girl.

Right now, you are an avid reader. It is INSANE how many books you read. I often have to tell you to "Put down that book!" You love using big words. You make us laugh with words that cause us to say, "Where in the world did you come up with that?" You usually read it in a book. At VBS this year, a family friend remarked that you "sounded like a thirty year old instead of a seven year old". You do! A few weeks ago, when your dad asked if you wanted to watch The Rangers with Major and him, you said, matter-of-factly, "No thanks, Dad. The Rangers are not of interest to me." You use funny words like "nonsense" other bookish terms.

You love to learn and are very easy to teach. This year, you started taking sewing lessons from Gran. Gran commented that you were a very good student and picked things up quickly. You really want to learn more about sewing right now. You are also interested in the piano. You commented to me that we really needed to let you be in another play because "Carnegie is my life!" You're just a little dramatic, aren't you?

You love to be helpful. A couple of days ago, you said, "Mom, I just LOVE to work!" I love that about you. It is so nice to have such a good helper around. I don't know what I would have done this year without you! You are one of the hardest working seven year olds I know, always ready to help out with Milla. You make life easier for all of us. I am so thankful that you are a part of our family.

I treasure our times together in the kitchen. You love to cook and are definitely my girl because you love to experiment in the kitchen. This year, I remember you throwing in a few handfuls of flour one time when you made a cake. You didn't exactly understand something that the recipe said, so you added a little-of-this and a little-of-that. I didn't find out about it until the cake came out of the oven. It actually turned out pretty good! You make me laugh!

You are thankful. This past Christmas was my favorite one ever. This was because you finally got the American Girl doll that you wanted for such a long time. What was so special about it was that you honestly didn't think you would get it. It was precious to see you open that present, get big tears in your eyes, and run over and throw your arms around your daddy. You buried your head in his shoulder and tried not to cry, hugging him for almost a full minute. I will never forget that moment. What a special, thankful girl you are. It makes it more fun to give you things.

You don't like to hurt people's feelings. God made you with a tender heart toward others. I am excited to see how you use this gift throughout your life. I wonder what you will become. I am excited to see what good works that He has prepared for you to do.

You don't like people to be upset with you. You are, by nature, a pleaser. This is good and bad. Many times, I see you doing good things like playing Major's games, and trying so hard not to get into trouble or say rude things. I hope that you will use this desire to be kind, but with a backbone. Your Dad and I pray that this desire for being a pleaser will cause you to want to please God, not men. He is the one that you always need to worry about pleasing. :) I pray that you will be a leader, not a follower.

Your sense of humor continues to develop. I find myself laughing at you more and more each day. You are very silly, our little sunshine. You are happy and smiling most of the time. You are an early (sometimes too early) riser and always wake up with a smile on your face. God blessed you with the most precious personality.

You love to be hugged, snuggled, touched. Right now, you always ask me for hugs and kisses. You love for us to tickle your back or arm. You are so cozy!

We are nearing the time in your life when lots of girl drama is about to unfold. I am prayerful that your heart can make it through this time, only changed in ways that will make you more like Jesus. I have seen a few examples of the "mean girl" stage already. Just recently I witnessed a girl with a bad attitude being very unkind to you, ignoring you and treating you horribly. I wanted to slap that girl when I saw how she was acting. Mary Alice, I watched you be kind to the little girl, even as she rejected you again and again. Then,a few days ago, we we both observed that the girl's attitude had changed toward you. She started being nice to you, probably because you treated her kindly. I am so proud of you and hope that you continue to assume the best of others and have such a sweet spirit. You are an example to me.

This letter is too long already. I kept thinking of ways that you were a blessing to your Daddy and me. I tried to sum up all that you are to us right now. You are a delight to us, a real joy! We have been blessed to be your parents for these eight years. We love you more than you can know (until, perhaps, you have children of your own). I hope that God gives us many more years with our sweet Mary Alice girl and that you grow in inner beauty and in love for God and others.

We love you so much!

Mom

5 comments:

Brook Speer said...

Happy Birthday Mary Alice!!! What a beautiful letter. You are such a sweet and precious girl! Hope you have a wonderful day. We miss you!
Lots of love.

-The Speer's
(Kyle, Brook, Kendall, Clay, & Brody)

Hannah said...

Happy birthday to Mary Alice. Everything you said in this letter is completely true. She is a very special girl. :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes people have a hard time that don't know Mary Alice believing me when I tell them all the wonderful things about her. She is such a special girl, and I love her very much!

-Aunt Taylor

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Mary Alice! You are truly a gift from God. I never cease to be amazed at your sweet and loving spirit! You are a real blessing and Pappa and I love you more than a box of donuts!

Gran

Miranda said...

It's hard to believe we've been blessed with her for 8 years! She is such a sweet girl with a sweet heart. We love you, Mary Alice!!!