Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It's A Jolly Holiday With Mary Alice

We are all huge fans of the books by P.L. Travers, the Disney movie, and the catchy tunes that go along with it. And really, what word lover doesn't like to sing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"? It doesn't get much better than the fun-filled world of Mary Poppins, for our little girl at least.

This year we celebrated Mary Alice's eighth birthday with a Mary Poppins party. We search for any occasion to act crazy at the Smith house. Mary Poppins lives in a world of magic, silliness, and whimsy, which made this party idea practically perfect in every way for our girl. And, of course, it involved costumes. :)

I think this may have been my favorite party...ever. It was magical. My sis, Taylor, was there to perform her magic from behind the lens of her camera. That meant I didn't have to tote a camera around the entire time AND I had professional results. Thanks Taylor!

The cake was amazing! I ordered it from Tempt Dessert Boutique. Jamie did a wonderful job designing the cake and even delivered it to our house on the day of the party.






Didn't Jamie do a fantastic job? She had never actually seen the movie. She watched it to help inspire her. How many bakers do you know who would do that?


We watched a few clips from the movie first, just in case nobody had seen it.


Then...Racing around with hats, heels, and spoons full of sugar...





This is a spin off of that "Baby I love you, but I just can't smile, game." We always used to play that at church camp. I HATED that game. The "I Love To Laugh" game was much more fun. The girls couldn't keep a straight face for very long. Mary Alice has lots of highly entertaining friends. And I absolutely LOVED that the girl in this picture wanted to wear her heels throughout the entire party. She kept looking down at her feet and saying, "I just LOVE these heels!"


Mary Alice making a very goofy face before birthday cake and presents.



Ellie and Jillian


Blowing out EIGHT birthday candles



Just in case you were wondering, here is what Milla was doing while others were eating birthday cake... Sneaky, sneaky



Milla Josephine all dressed up for the party :)



I love a good teacup toast.



Excited about presents and maybe just a teeny bit sugared up :)





What would a Mary Poppins party be without learning Mary Poppins' favorite dance, The Cha-Cha Slide? :)



Pictionary, the Poppins way...


Fun on the driveway...






And...Last but not least, a pic of the birthday girl and myself. I tried to impersonate the beloved character, but probably just succeeded in showing my true dorky side to all of Mary Alice's friends.


After the party was over I tried snapping my fingers again and again to help tidy up the house. It didn't quite work out like it did for the real Mary Poppins.

9 comments:

Erica said...

I love to read about the parties you throw for your children each year, you are so creative;-) What a fun Mom you are and those will be special memories for not only Mary Alice but all of her friends too. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl! All the pictures are precious too!

Jordan said...

That is an EXCEPTIONAL birthday party!! I love, love, love that idea...I'll just have to put that in my "Birthday Memory File" for later.

Way to go Amber!

Alisha Stewart said...

I have been waiting patiently to see pics of this super fun party. Great Job! I have those same black high heals, and I must say I'm shocked that the little girl was able to wear them the whole party. I bet her feet were REALLY sore the next day:)

Julia said...

What great memories you are helping your kids make! Mary Alice will remember this party and all you did to make it magical for the rest of her life!

Chris Chappotin said...

Thanks for sharing about the party...I have to agree with everyone else...you are VERY creative!! Thanks for allowing Torie to be a part of the fun!

BTW, this is Heidi posting on Chris' account...SORRY!

The Speck family said...

Oh my goodness, have I told you what an ubelievable mom you are?!?! Happy birthday to your sweet girl~ what a super fun and creative party you hosted!!!

Anonymous said...

That looks like such a fun party!!

Anonymous said...

I agree that you are an incredible mom! What a fun party!

Love,
Mom

tnwphoto said...

Oh My Goodness!!!! Absolutely Adorable & Creative. Like Jordan, I will have to file that in my birthday party memory file. My favorite is the "Spoonful of Sugar" game. HOW CREATIVE!! I'm impressed. Happy Birthday, Mary Alice.