Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just For Laughs

Sometimes, I have to run to my blog and type up the things the kids say, really quickly, before I forget them forever. Today is one of those days.

Before bed tonight, Major asked Josh, "Why do adults always stay up so late after we go to bed?"

Mary Alice quickly responded, "So that they can watch and make sure robbers don't come steal us."

Tonight was a special night because I was able to have one of my "talks" with Major. The kids always beg for me to lay in their beds with them for a while after their official bed time and chat with them for awhile. I only get a chance to do this on the rare occasion that Milla happens to go to bed early. I always enjoy it because this is when the kids really talk to me. We are uninterrupted by others. It is just one-on-one and so special. It is the perfect time to hear all about their hopes and dreams and really find out what is going on inside their little minds. I love doing this whenever I get the chance.

Anyway... Tonight, in our conversation, Major started telling me about his vision of how Satan tricks us into doing things that we don't want to do.

"I think Satan has a sin factory," Major began, "It is kind of like the one in The Great Mouse Detective that makes potions and things."

"Oh?" I said. I was very interested to hear the rest of his explanation.

"I think Satan puts his bad ideas in the sin factory. He makes them up into evil potions and then he puts them into our heart. The sins from the sin factory get into our heart and make it all dirty." He continued his explanation while tracing the area from his heart to his head. "Then, the sin travels up into your head where it gets in your thoughts, so, it's like, then you want to do it."

Not too far from the truth sweet Major. Very insightful. :) Yes, my baby starts Kindergarten in a week. Perhaps a future in theology? :)

(A few minutes later...)

Major and I were playing the "Would you rather?" game. This game is a big hit with my kids. We play it in the car all the time. It was my turn. I asked him if he would rather have long hair like Mary Alice or eat a bowl full of really spicy hot sauce. At first, he said that he would rather just eat the bowl of hot sauce. After thinking about it for a few seconds, he changed his answer, "No," he said, "I would rather just have the long hair. I would just pretend that I was Samson."

(And finally....)

A couple of days ago, while we were watching Swiss Family Robinson, Mary Alice asked, "Why didn't they just use their cell phones?" I think she realized how silly she sounded. She spoke without thinking. Then she laughed...at herself.

These kids are a laugh a minute!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very sweet. You guys are very inspiring. Wish you lived closer so we could see you every once in awhile.

Kim said...

So funny!

And what sweet times with Major!