Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Busy, Barfing, and Busted Up

Whew! Take a breath... Life has been crazy busy around here the last few days!

The house got sortof messy this week due to the fact that our weekend was so hectic! Really, we've had a no good, very bad weekend... But it definitely has its good parts too.

I'll start with Saturday. My cousin, Betsy, was having a baby shower in Houston, so I put on my best pouty face and BEGGED Josh to drive me down there. (He is so sweet. He knows I hate to drive at night, so it turns out he was going to drive me anyway.) So...we loaded the kids up and headed off.. The plan was to stay with my other cousin, her husband, and her two adorable boys, Kellen and Charlie. We arrived in Houston about three hours later, lugged our suitcases upstairs, and started playing with the kids. Sadly, we had only been there about ten minutes, when Mary Alice threw up all over my cousin's futon, all over herself, and all over Josh. Luckily, the futon had a zip off cover, so it was salvagable. We threw everything and everyone into the wash and packed up our things and turned around and drove back home. We were back home and in bed a little after 1:00. Fun trip. Very fun.

The kids were sick so Josh and I took turns going to church. Our car broke down on Sunday night with me in it. I had forgotten my cell phone. Thankfully, the kids were not in the vehicle or I would have panicked. A friend gave me ride home from church. Then our good buddies Ross Thomas and his brother Mark the super-mechanic came to our rescue. They fixed the car on no time.

A few days ago Major chipped a tooth at the mini indoor playground in the mall. There was foamy flooring all around. He went to the ONE part of the floor that wasn't foamy and fell. Ugh! He CONSTANTLY has a whopper of a bump on his head. I know people think I beat him, but I don't. His head is just attracted to the ground- like a magnet to metal. Well today he fell again. He wasn't running or anything. He just fell. He tore apart his frenum. I don't know if I spelled that right. That is the little flap of gums between your teeth and your upper lip. You also have one under your tongue. He tore his in half. Yep. So he has a chipped tooth and a fractured frenum now. Maybe my little Major can be a hockey player next year for Halloween. He'll already have the teeth.

So that is my crazy weekend and last few days... Several good things though... I got to cuddle with my kids. Kids are so sweet and needy when they are sick. Major is a momma's boy anyway, despite his Daddy's urging for him to be a tough guy. Today I had a long chat with a sweet new friend while the kids were taking their nap. So other than my kids illness and accidents, things are great. The kids are spending the night with grandparents tonight, so Josh and I even had a date night.

I'll be glad when Mary Alice's play is over. We really don't like to shuttle our kids all over the place all the time. We like things to be relaxed and non busy around our house, especially at nights when Josh is home.

I feel like I have been so rushed today, yet so so productive. I got lots of cleaning done and feel really proud of all I accomplished. I love the feeling of making a list and checking it off. We have more busyness ahead tomorrow with a doctor appt and dinner with Josh's old college roommate and his wife. Go go go. I feel like that is all we do sometimes. I really like to just hang out at home and catch my breath before the next wave of activity and mishaps hits us. Maybe Thursday won't be so busy.

5 comments:

Kristen OQ said...

We had the throwing up virus around our house too this weekend -- not fun for Sam (or me!). But it is nice to have him so lovey. He hardly ever stops to sit in my lap anymore, so it was a bright spot in the sickness!

As for teeth chipping, we can relate there too. Sam chipped his front teeth on our coffee table New Years Eve when he was 13 months old...not pretty! He came up from falling and pieces of teeth on his chin. We found a great pediatric dentist though and you really can hardly tell now unless you look closely at him and they didn't "die" and turn gray which was also good.

These little boys keep us on our toes!

leslie said...

Amber- Thank you for your comment on my blog. It was very encouraging to read.

The "tearing of the frenum" just makes me cringe! Goodness, what a weekend.

I would love to see Mary Alice in a play! I think that is so neat that she is doing that!

Alyssa said...

I love thinking about sweet Mary Alice in a play too.... she is so sweet! I really miss seeing her. I am sorry that you guys had to deal with the virus....

MereMoore said...

poor major!! yikes-never a good thing to have a torn frenum!! hope you had a fun dinner and have a great weekend!

Melanie said...

Ashlyn tore hers as well and was completely recovered in just a couple days! I hate when the kids are sick, but I love the snuggling that comes with it!