Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Does God Ever Sleep? (Deep Thoughts by Mary Alice)

A little time in the car with a four year old can really make you think.... I spent a little time with Mary Alice in the car and got to hear her "deep thoughts" about God. Last night, on the way to play practice, our conversation went something like this:

Mary Alice: "Mom, does God ever sleep?"

Me: "No, Mary Alice, I don't think God sleeps."

Mary Alice: "Why not?"

Me: "Well, God isn't like us. We need sleep and rest so that our bodies can work well. God is so powerful. He doesn't ever have to sleep. We need rest. He doesn't ever have to rest, because He is so strong."

Mary Alice: "Then how come the song says, 'Day Seven, Day Seven, Then God rested in His Heaven?"

Me: "I think that means rest, like when we work and then we take a break after doing a hard job. God had just created the whole world, and He decided to "take a break" from His creating."

Mary Alice: "Oh... I bet He was pretty tired when he finished making the WHOLE world!"

Me: "Probably."

Mary Alice: "He had just made the WHOLE world! I don't know how He could do that! He must be pretty powerful! He can even count all of the hairs on my head and I know that that is hard to do. I tried to count all of the hairs on my head one time and I got too tired!"

Me: (laughing) "You're so sweet, girly."

(long pause)

Mary Alice: "Mom? Do you know how God puts the leaves on the trees? Does He use tape?"

Me: "I don't know how He does that. It's pretty amazing, isn't it? He can do all kinds of things that we can't do. He can do everything."

Mary Alice: "I can't figure out how he puts those leaves on. I think that is something I'm going to ask Him when I get to Heaven."

I think God is going to have a lot of explaining to do when Mary Alice gets to Heaven! What a precious reminder of God's awesome power from the mouth of a little girl.

4 comments:

hollyfouts said...

Mary Alice is such a little smartie! (as if you didn't already know that) I love talking to Avery about God. It's amazing what she understands and what she is trying so hard to understand. Such sweet conversations!

jenny biz said...

Out of the mouths of little ones. Beautiful! Don't you wish we could keep that sweet, innocent, God-seeking mind of simplicity forever:)

leslie said...

So sweet Amber. I've always admired you as a mom!
Those conversations are the best. I love the using tape for the leaves part!

Erica said...

Such a sweet girl! I am so glad you are blogging so we can keep up with each other. I pray things are going well for your family and I look forward to many more sweet posts like this one.