Wednesday, November 23, 2005

It's All About The Food!


I LOVE this time of the year! I love the crispness of the air. I love the colors of the changing foliage. I love the atmosphere of high school football games. But, if I really get right down to it, what I REALLY gets me excited about the fall is the food. And I especially love Thanksgiving, when food is in such abundance. I love the football games, but what I really love is the hot dogs or nachos I eat at the football games. I love the State fair, but what I really love are the funnel cakes, the caramel apples, and any other kind of fair-time treat. I LOVE Thanksgiving, but what I really love are the pumpkin pies, the cornbread dressing, my mom's delicious and unbeatable salads, the ever-so-yummy once a year beef tenderloin, and the melt-in-your-mouth homemade rolls. I love all things seasonal when it comes to fall: pumpkin spice lattes, maple scones, sweet potatoes, spice cake, gingerbread. Yum!

Mary Alice and I were working together today, getting ready for the holidays. There is a window above the kitchen sink, where we were working. I had it opened up while we worked and talked there together. A cool wind was blowing through the kitchen, sending a fresh breeze into our little cozy corner. I was reminded of so many of my own childhood memories of Thanksgiving. They were memories of times spent in the kitchen, cooking holiday treats. As I looked at my daughter's smiling face, I was reminded that we were making memories of our own. Whenever I make homemade bread or pies (not something I do often), I always let Mary Alice make her own creations out of the last bits of dough. When I get tired of making things, she gets to knock herself out creating her own special treats. So sweet. She loves to feel like she is a big helper.

She already loves to cook. So do I. The thrill of making a beautiful feast for everyone to enjoy is one of my favorite things to do. I think my love for cooking came from doing it--constantly. When I think about Halloween, I recall making edible haunted houses, chocolate covered spiders, and other such spooky treats. Thanksgiving and Christmas also bring back memories of time spent in the kitchen, with my mom and sisters. Oh-- and Christmas music was always playing in the background as we slaved away in the kitchen. Lots of happy memories...

What a sad and miserable Thanksgiving day it would be to eat your turkey and dressing at a restaurant! A Thankgiving like that would be no Thanksgiving at all to me. I guess Thanksgiving is SUPPOSED to be all about family and being thankful for your blessings. I'll agree to that, just as long as I can have me some homemade pumpkin pie and sweet potato casserole!

5 comments:

MereMoore said...

you hit it on the dot-it IS all about the food-so many of my childhood memories are just like yours-spending time in the kitchen baking away with music in the background!! happy thanksgiving!

Erica said...

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Enjoy the food I know that I will.

Katie said...

YUM! Amber, you made me hungry just reading--and I just had dinner! I love the tastes of Thanksgiving, too!

leslie said...

That is such a sweet picture of Mary Alice. She will look at that someday and remember those fun times spent with you in the kitchen.
I loved reading that post!

Unknown said...

You are definitely making so many fun memories with Mary Alice! It is so special that you are able to spend time with her in the kitchen just the two of you. She will cherish that time as much as you do. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!