Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Book Recommendations

Just wanted to pass along a wonderful book, The Word and Song Bible, that was recommended to me by my friend, Jenni. We ordered this book and CD a few weeks ago. It arrived last week. The kids haven't put it down! I have seen so many children's Bibles. This is by far my favorite! It has at least one story for every chapter in the Bible with a verse and a song to follow.

One of the things that I never fully understood until a few years ago was how the whole Bible fit together. I knew lots of Bible stories,facts, and trivia, but couldn't quite put everything together chronologically. I have really enjoyed reading through our children's Bibles along with the kids. Another favorite of ours is The Big Picture Story Bible. This does a great job of putting "the big picture" together.

Several times, I have told Josh that I wish they had resources like this for adults! I have often wished for the good old flannel graph to make an appearance in our Sunday morning Bible class. I would also greatly benefit from a "simple" study that went through the Bible, complete with time lines and songs for each chapter. Music is such a wonderful way to learn! One of these days, maybe adult Bible class teachers will cater a lesson just for people like me and pull out the old flannel graph instead of just utilizing power point or fill-in-the-blank worksheets. Those things are just not the same.... Anyway, I just thought I'd pass on these fabulous books. They are a wonderful way to help our children learn about God.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ABC Bible Verses by Susan Hunt is another one we like at our house. I'm glad to see your recommendation! We have the Big Picture but I wanted something else!
Kathryn

Jacinda said...

We are using a "curriculum" at church right now that I am enjoying teaching to the 1st/2nd grade class. It is nothing fancy but started at the beginning of the Bible and we're just simply going through the Bible.

We just finished up about 10 weeks on Joseph and I really feel like I know more now than I ever did as a child-and I went to Christian school for 17 years!

Now, to be fair, I'm sure I was probably taught these same things but I have really enjoyed reviewing it as an adult! I see people & events falling into place and I only hope the children are too!

I guess the fact that I'm more mature now as an adult is making things stick with me more too.

I have just really enjoyed going through and seeing how events & people relate to each other. We will start with Moses on Sunday and I'm sure the kids will enjoy that.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I will check it out!

Anonymous said...

The link you posted is just for the book..where can I get the 5 cd's that go with it?

Amber Smith said...

Mindy-
I bought them on Amazon.com also, but separately. I paid less than $2 for the Bible (used) and around $12 or so for the CD's. Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

There are many children's items that I wish were made in adult versions especially their super soft blankets! Those books sound great. I love reading about stuff like this since Jackson will be at the point where he needs these resources before I even know it!